Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How i fixed my: no d3dx9_32 / 1706 error / no uninstall option / BTS install bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How i fixed my: no d3dx9_32 / 1706 error / no uninstall option / BTS install bug

How I Got my Civ4 + BTS to work

A little background first:

I have Civ4 (CDROM) and Beyond the Sword (CDROM)
    My system is Windows XP (service pack 1)

Now I purchased civ4 and BTS in the USA (walmart) and came home installed it on a computer in America and it installed fine, no problems, both civ4 and the expansion worked perfectly.

Now I return to England to install it on my machine (which is the machine stats mentioned above). As I install, the first error I got was that it was missing some d3dx9_32.dll file or something similar to that. Not a problem as I have had that error before from other games. To fix this problem I just downloaded the directx files from Microsoft here:

Ok that solved that problem. The game installed. Booted up the game, tested it, it runs nice, scrolling is smooth etc. Then I went to advance option then to Find Updates. Now my current version of Civ4 installed as 1.61. It found the latest update of 1.71 I think.

So I download the update, then it goes to install, that goes fine until right at the end it gives me an error message:

"Error 1706.No valid source could be found for product Sid Meier's Civilization 4. The Windows Installer cannot continue."

I click to continue and it seems to finish the install of the update. Now I have searched the Internet for explanations of this error message, some saying that it’s a disc error (its not) some saying that its fine just ignore it (dont!). So I ignore it, I reboot the game up and test it, boots fine looks like the update worked even though I got the error message. Now I test a game, its jerky as if I have hardly any memory, and sluggish to scroll everything is slow etc, very bad performance. My second issue was when I tried to install BTS the game just would not install it would start to install then just quit out after it searches for directx updates.

Now I could not work out a way to get rid of that “Error 1706" after numerous reinstalls of the game [I will get to how I uninstalled the game as again that was buggy as I had to manually go through the register and delete files out :-/ ]

After hours of searching and reinstalls with the help of Petek posts from this forum page:

Now I am basically gonna go over what I did to get rid of the 1706 error, with the help of Peteks advice.

When I first installed the civ4 game I did it for "all users". This time I did it for a single user, this is one of the first options as you install. It installs fine. Now before I start with the patching [as this is what causes the crappy performance] I followed Peteks advice;

I went to REGEDIT (goto:start - goto:run - type in "regedit").
    I looked in the following directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall

I was looking for a file called {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8} That should be the Civ4 registry.

I also looked in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninsta ll\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

For the same file: {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

I believe both where there, however some of the information was incorrect specifically I think it was the version number that was different from what it should have been and I changed that on both files. I think it said 1.51 or something and I changed it to 1.61 which is what it installs to.

I used Peteks txt file and changed everything to my own details from the {CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8} registration.

Saved the new Civ4.reg file, double clicked it.

I then rebooted my comp, ran civ4, it booted fine, then again I checked for updates and downloaded the 1.71 patch, this time it installed perfectly without any 1706 error. I tested the game and this time it ran smooth no jerkiness. So thank you to Petek.

That cured that problem. The final problem I had was when I try to install BTS it just stops and closes down. It still did this. To solve this problem I just upgraded to Service Pack 2 from Microsoft and it installed without any problems!

I was gonna go through how I uninstalled Civ4 but I am kind of tried as it is late, basically it involved deleting Firaxis from the registration. And also deleting the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

C:\Documents and Settings\***user_name***\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4

C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8}

Sorry if this explanation has been abit brief I am just tired from all the messing around with Civ4. If you do have the same issues as me and don’t understand what I did then please let me know and I will re go over what I did more clearly when I have more energy. But it was a few key things:

1) Make sure I deleted as much as civ4 previous installation as I could
    2) Reinstalled but this time before adding a patch I followed Peteks suggestions using his txt file
    3) Updated windows to service pack 2

That's pretty much the way to go
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
    X