A Dune MMO would be fun...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dune MMO would be fun...

I wan't more good SciFi MMO's. Could the Dune universe be adapted?
    Last edited by Heraclitus; December 7, 2007, 10:00.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

I agree

Currently there is EVE (ship based), AO (old, poorly done, and Shadowlands corruped it), and SWG (messed up now). I guess Tabula Rasa also, but I haven't played that one.

Dune would be great because it would be character based, Sci Fi, and has a great (but not detailed) backstory.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Dune would be easy to base on characters precisley because of the backstory. The Guild controls all interstellar travel, but you can still have organisations (House X) that can wage restricted war with each other. Plus the sheer size of the Imperium allows very interesting worlds. I think an appropriate time-frame would be a few centuries before the first Dune novel.
      The backstory wouldn't be to hard to do.

PS The prequels written by the son&guy are best ignored.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

There is a reason I haven't touched them.

I thought that the Tolkien 'extra' were pretty much the only good ones ever.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Dune would be easy to base on characters precisley because of the backstory. The Guild controls all interstellar travel, but you can still have organisations (House X) that can wage restricted war with each other. Plus the sheer size of the Imperium allows very interesting worlds.

We know barely anything about those other world. It would make more sense for a Dune MMORPG to be set only on Dune itself. Though, I'm not convinced a Dune MMORPG is really a good idea in the first place...

Comment

I wouldn't say that Kevin J. Anderson's Dune books are best ignored ... some people like them a lot, they're just a slightly different style than Herbert's. KJA is a reasonably good writer, but tends more towards 'adventure' than Herbert, and less spiritualism.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

KJA is a reasonably good writer

Ooooh, that was a good one. Tell another!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                Dune would be easy to base on characters precisley because of the backstory. The Guild controls all interstellar travel, but you can still have organisations (House X) that can wage restricted war with each other. Plus the sheer size of the Imperium allows very interesting worlds.

We know barely anything about those other world. It would make more sense for a Dune MMORPG to be set only on Dune itself. Though, I'm not convinced a Dune MMORPG is really a good idea in the first place...
                A MMO set just on Dune would be quite dull. Anyway a Dune MMO wouldn't be canon, they could simply make worlds up, or employ their vision of the existing ones. Once again the stated size the known universe (a million planets) gives a bit of freedom... as long as the creators didn't meddle with established facts, that would have unpleasant consequences for the games reception.

Comment

The board game was one of the best multiplayer games I ever played. Each faction was very distinct so encouraged you to play to their strengths.

I would have thought any MMO game would have to be just on Dune itself with off world abstracted by resources etc. Widening it out would lose the Dune flavour.

My worry would be that as everyone is fighting for control of Dune you wouldn't want that as an objective as it's then game over - although maybe it would be interesting to have a less open ended MMO. Be interesting to see the business model for that.

Comment

I'd rather see a Dune based TBS game.
                    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

A MMO set just on Dune would be quite dull. Anyway a Dune MMO wouldn't be canon, they could simply make worlds up, or employ their vision of the existing ones. Once again the stated size the known universe (a million planets) gives a bit of freedom... as long as the creators didn't meddle with established facts, that would have unpleasant consequences for the games reception.

If they make most of the game up, is it really Dune?

Comment

They can make up most of the setting but still try to inject that Dune feel. Also, they don't have to make up any character concepts. Dune is chock full of those.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                          I'd rather see a Dune based TBS game.
                          So true

Comment

Originally posted by Standup
                            The board game was one of the best multiplayer games I ever played. Each faction was very distinct so encouraged you to play to their strengths.

I would have thought any MMO game would have to be just on Dune itself with off world abstracted by resources etc. Widening it out would lose the Dune flavour.

My worry would be that as everyone is fighting for control of Dune you wouldn't want that as an objective as it's then game over - although maybe it would be interesting to have a less open ended MMO. Be interesting to see the business model for that.
                            You are forgeting the balance of power: the Emperor, the varius houses and the space guild. The player would at most be the head of a house. Anyone in control of Dune would so be by the emperors mandate, and it still leaves a lot of room for smuggling operations or other financial ventures.

Comment

That would be quite an interesting twist. I haven't played many MMO but most seem to be party based or tactical. Starting off as a smuggler but ending up as the law or authorities could be fun. Would be a fine line though between being too dominating and not having much power.

Comment

Working...
                              X