Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senate passed US-Peru Free Trade Agreement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senate passed US-Peru Free Trade Agreement.

But Democrats did win an important concession requiring Peru to enforce core international labor standards, such as the right to bargain collectively and to strike. Unfortunately it didn't deal with environmental regulations but that was part of the deal Democrats worked out with the Bush Administration. It's clearly an improvement and shows that compromise is the best, and indeed only, way to make progress on things like Free Trade. This is the way things should work. Here's hoping compromises can be worked out over the pending free trade agreements with Panama, Columbia, and South Korea.

US Senate passes Peru trade pact
    Peruvian president Alan Garcia
    President Garcia welcomed the Senate approval
    The United States Senate has overwhelmingly approved a free-trade agreement with Peru.

The pact will eliminate duties on most US products and gradually phase out all tariffs, and require Peru to open it services market.

US President George W Bush said both countries would benefit from the deal, which was also hailed by Peruvian President Alan Garcia.

The two-way trade between the US and Peru is worth about $9bn a year.

It is the first trade agreement that President Bush has managed to get through Congress since the Democrats took control in January.

Trade deals with Colombia, Panama and South Korea are awaiting approval.

'Level field'

The free-trade pact, which was passed in a 77-18 vote, will require Peru and the US to enforce core international labour standards, such as the right to bargain collectively and to strike.

Environmental provisions will also require the US and Peru to enforce their domestic environmental laws and to honour international environmental obligations.

A Peruvian worker in Lima cuts mangoes to be processed for export

Who will benefit from deal?

President Garcia welcomed the Senate's vote, saying it was "good news for the increase of jobs and wages that should boost foreign investment in the country".

Mr Bush said after the vote that he looked forward to signing the bill that would "level the playing field for American exporters and investors" and signal "our firm support for those who share our values of freedom and democracy".

Earlier, Mr Bush had said free-trade deals were the best way of countering the influence of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez in South America.

The American Farm Bureau Federation estimates the pact will boost US farm exports to Peru by more than $700m a year once it is fully implemented.

However, international aid organisation Oxfam said the agreement would expose Peru's small farmers to "massive dumping" of subsidised US farm goods.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Call centers in Peru on Spanish
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

There's a certain Peruvian I know that I'd like to have some free trade with.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

pics!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Democrats did not win ####.

We'll still get our market flooded by products made by workers who companies do not have to pay as much or treat like human beings.

What happens if Peru does not enforce the terms of the agreement? You think we'll suddenly cancel our free trade pact with them?

This is effectivley just a no strings free trade pact. I grow to hate the govt. in general more every day for it's incompetancy and greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
            There's a certain Peruvian I know that I'd like to have some free trade with.
            Originally posted by Japher
            pics!
            Attached Files

Comment

This is effectivley just a no strings free trade pact.

I wish!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                This is effectivley just a no strings free trade pact.

I wish!
                relax:
                Hassan further noted that the parliament had expressed its dismay that the Bahraini government had closed its Office for the Boycott of Israel last year, whose task had been to ensure compliance with the terms of the Arab League economic embargo against the Jewish state.

Criticizing the decision, Hassan said that he and his colleagues had "asked the government to re-open that office and to avoid any other dealings with Israel."

Bahraini Foreign Minister Shaikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa, who attended the session, defended the move, noting that the closing of the office was mandated by the US-Bahrain free-trade agreement, which he says has proven beneficial to the emirate's economy. But he sought to reassure the deputies that the boycott of Israel was still in place, even after the closure of the office.

"People are still boycotting [Israel] with or without the office," Khalifa said, according to a report in the Gulf Daily News, adding, "Bahrain didn't normalize relations with Israel, which is still our enemy."
                Breaking news about Satellite from The Jerusalem Post. Read the latest updates on Satellite including articles, videos, opinions and more.

Comment

Working...
                X