No announcement yet.

Planetfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, looks amazing (haven't tried it yet).

Say, what sort of things do you need done with the SDK?
    Something like this maybe? (or did you manage to do that without SDK changes?)
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

That definitely sounds useful! Would be useful for preventing boreholes being built next to each other etc.

Unfortunately, while I can do design, XML and python, I can't do SDK or graphics. So err... I don't know, since you asked what sort of things need to be done with the SDK, would you be interested in helping with Planetfall?

In the first posts of the Planetfall thread on CFC, more specifically this post, some examples of SDK stuff is listed which would be useful for Planetfall.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Oh I am so happy to see this!! Now the wait for alpha centauri 2 won't be so bad...
        A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

would you be interested in helping with Planetfall?
          Maybe, yeah, if i get around to it this weekend i'll try what you have so far and see if i can get the SDK installed and running again.

I have to warn you though
          Except that single SDK mod i posted, i have no modding experience..and i have a fulltime job since then, so it'll take me some time to figure out how things work.

tbh, i'm very excited about contributing to this project, especially given how complete it already looks, but i dont want to get your hopes up (too much)
          <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.

Comment

I never worked with civ4 SDK, so a few questions:
            - is it C++?
            - what compiler is needed or recommended, e.g free MS visual studio, professional visual studio, would dev-cpp be an option? or you cannot use other compiler than MS VC

any links to posts or tutorials? I have searched already, but maybe you know the best ones.
            Mart
            Map creation contest
            WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

It's C++ of course, and the preferred compiler is Visual Studio 2003. You can get it working with the free version as well as the professional ones, but compiling on other versions is difficult. For example, VS2005 doesn't work properly with it.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                Cool. The Planetfall SDK is using an SVN btw, so if you want I can give you access to that. I assume it might make it easier to figure out what the hell has been done already.

Originally posted by Mart
                any links to posts or tutorials? I have searched already, but maybe you know the best ones.
                Perhaps this thread could be useful.

Comment

Thank you. I'll try to get it working on my comp first.
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest

Comment

Do you too know C++?

Comment

Yes, I program in C++, don't know it very well, but I can write few things. Let me see the SDK, but as Lemmy, I have full time job so my time is not abundant.
                      Mart
                      Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                        Yes, I program in C++, don't know it very well, but I can write few things. Let me see the SDK, but as Lemmy, I have full time job so my time is not abundant.
                        I hope that should not be a problem. To assure Planetfall ever gets finished, I think it's best to only make simple changes to the SDK, to prevent large projects being left unfinished midway. So any help is welcome, even it is just adding an XML tag now and then.

There are two large projects though which I assume would require some more time.

1) the last official patch from Firaxis. Should be merged with Planetfall code.

2) there's a unit workshop left in a half-finished state. Unfortunately, while it's already looking awesome, it hasn't reached a stage where it is doing more good than harm, and much more coding would be needed for it. And the SDK programmer Ellestar isn't active anymore. Therefore, sad to say , I think it's best to forget about a unit workshop. While the interface wouldn't be as good as a unit workshop (because you'd have to make a few extra clicks picking promotions for every single unit), I think something similar to special abilities etc can be done by just adding some extra tags to Promotions. So anyway, given the amount of work already done on the unit workshop, I guess it might take some effort to restore things to a pre-unit workshop state. At least I assume so. Knowing very little about the SDK, I have no idea what will be easier: copying the official patch changes into the Planetfall SDK, or copying the Planetfall changes into the last official patch DLL files. If it's the latter, I guess it would be easier to "just" not copy over all the workshop code.

Anyway, that's kinda the "situation report", and the two major hurdles.

Comment

In any case, it's good to keep files with unit workshop additions. I think sooner or later, it will be included in the mod.
                          Mart
                          Map creation contest

Comment

Merging (or at least attempting to) the latest patch and the planetfall code might be a good way to start and see what kind of changes have been made already, and getting to know the SDK.

The unit workshop was one of the things i liked most in SMAC, so i wouldn't dismiss it just yet. I think the hardest part for the workshop will be gaining the knowledge required to make it., not so much the time. For me personally, once i've started on something with a clear idea of how to build it i generally finish it.

Maniac, could you send me the info to your SVN? Also what is your preferred method of communication (MSN or anything like that?)

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy
                              Merging (or at least attempting to) the latest patch and the planetfall code might be a good way to start and see what kind of changes have been made already, and getting to know the SDK.
                              The last official patch for Beyond The Sword isn't released yet, and no one knows when it will. Might still take quite a while, since I assume Firaxis is concentrating on CivRev now. So I wouldn't suggest waiting for that.

Maniac, could you send me the info to your SVN? Also what is your preferred method of communication (MSN or anything like that?)
                              I'll send a PM with the info.

Comment

Planetfall Version 4 Patch b

Changelog:

1. You now can build Condensers under the Enclosed Biosphere civic. Won't do you much good under Enclosed, but allows you to prepare for a switch out of this civic.
                                2. Accuracy promotion requires Information Networks.
                                3. Gaian starting tech changed to Biogenetics.
                                4. Peacekeeper starting tech changed to Information Networks.
                                5. University starting tech changed to Renewable Energy.
                                6. Nuclear Plants obsolete with Fusion Power.
                                7. Doctrine: Initiative renamed Doctrine: Flexibility. (I can't stop associating the word 'Initiative' with Cruisers...)
                                8. Rover upgrades to Hovertank.
                                9. Upgrading a unit costs two gold per production.
                                10. The Lord's Conclave spread factor reduced.
                                11. You can plant Kelp without destroying already present terrain improvements.
                                12. Academy re-added.
                                13. Subspace Generator victory prototype added.
                                14. Skunkworks added. More or less Civ4's Ironworks.
                                15. Terrains some resources appear on changed.
                                16. Terran Fauna and Fungicide resources added.
                                17. Guerilla and Deep Radar promotions added.
                                18. Empathy civic removed; Similar Consensus civic added.
                                19. Chopper and Gravship get +2 XP from Aerospace Complex instead of Command Center.
                                20. Command Center no longer reduces production speed of land units.
                                21. Formers and Aquaformers attacked by barbarians aren't destroyed but are temporarily turned into immobile "Damaged (Aqua)Formers".
                                22. Temporary: Great Doctor gives three food.
                                23. Temporary: Sealurk isn't invisible. Has high withdrawal chance instead.
                                24. Temporary: Subs can see other subs.
                                25. Plan B: because the unit workshop isn't working, most special abilities have also been turned into promotions.

Don't forget that we're always looking for help with Planetfall.

The mod could for instance at this point very much use:
                                • SDKers
                                • a graphics coordinator
                                • a button maker
                                • a gamefont.tga graphics artist

Comment

Working...
                                X