Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To native English Speakers: Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To native English Speakers: Please help!

Long story short:

What verb is used with "voluntary social years"? It´s a year-long voluntary service which many girls and a few guys "do" to get some working experience between school and college, usually spent in hospitals or homes for mentally handicapped people. You are payed poorly but it is supposed to make you more mature and it also looks good on the Curriculum Vitae when applying for a social job...

Do you say "I did a VSY", or "I served a VSY", or "I made a VSY"? Or something else?

A small effort for a native speaker, a big leap for me!

Thank you for reading (and hopefully answering soon)!!!

-Micha
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

performed?
    accomplished?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"I volunteered as a"
      "I interned as a"
      "I served as a"
      "I served in a"
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I vote interned.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Floccinaucinihilipilificated.
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I think the word you're looking for is "wasted".

More seriously, although I'm not a native speaker, from the variants the native speakers provided, "I served in a VSY" sounds most correct to me.

Comment

If this is something directly associated with the school you're going to, I'd go with intern. Otherwise serve sounds good.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"I performed Voluntary Social Years service at (facility) from 200x to 200y."

"I performed VSY service..."
                "I served my VSY at..."
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

On a CV/Resume, I'd use "Volunteered with/on/at" because of the key word. Many resume readers, both electronic and human, look for key words like "Volunteer". It's only technically correct if you were not paid at all, however; if you were paid, it is more technically correct to say "Interned". It sounds more like a volunteer work though (candy-striper is the american/english word for someone who does that sort of thing at a hospital, usually 15-18 years old).

You could say "I volunteered a year of my life working with (X) in the VSY program" - that's more correct while still using the word volunteer for key word engines.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

If you are referring to just volunteering in the hosptial for good measure, and potentially using it as good on your resume. These people were traditionally referred to as "Candy Stripers". But, today, simple "volunteers" is considered more appropriate.

You could google candy striper for more info on them.

The other possibility, which doesn't seem to fit your description so well would be the term "clinical duty". This is often referred to as "clinicals" in the medical vernacular.

The number of hours you need to spend in clinical duty depends on the specific job you are applying for, so '1 year' might not apply universally. My wife had to do some 3 years of clinicals. But, those were while also in school as well, and total hours could probably be done in a year if you did them full time.

But this is associated directly with your education.
                    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

if it was a real standard program, that lots of folks participated in and everyone knows about "I did a VSY" would sound very normal, but quite informal. (at least in the northeastern USA) Something one might say to ones peers, but not put on a resume/CV.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

'"Anyway, I don't debate. I argue. If you want to debate go troll LotM." - Kidicious'

Hey wezil, what was THAT about? I think I like it.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I asked him too many questions about an issue without trying to prove a point, and he didn't like that.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

LotM - I can't remember the actual thread/topic but I agree, it was too funny to let go.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Wow, thank you all for your replies!

Well, it is a common thing to do (like "Au pair"), so the recipient does know what it is. Also, it is not connected with the education.

I´ll go with serve, thank you!!!
                              Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                              Let me eat your yummy brain!
                              "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Working...
                              X