Colonization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonization

It seems the forum dedicated to 'classic games' like Colonization got deleted, so I'm posting this here. I'm a total novice (bad at strategy games, still enjoy them) and have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to discourage the computer players from parking colonies right next to yours for fun? You know how it sends out lone colonists and builds midget colonies aggressively close to yours when better sites are available, just to be a total douche and force you to start a war to get rid of them? I'm guessing no. The best solution I've found is to select large landmass archipelago from the customize world screen, so at least I have a decent chance of landing on a different mass from everyone else. Then I privateer the SOBs whenever they look like coming close with ships.

2. On a related note, is there any way to start a dialog with AI players instead of just moving troops next to theirs and hoping they feel like talking? And is it just me or is Ben Franklin something of a downgrade as far as the always-offers-peace aspect is concerned? The buggers just stockpile units near your colonies and attack anyway, so BF basically makes it so that you can't have peace.

3. I like to play as the Dutch (big surprise there), but I can never come up with a good Dutch name for myself and I don't like being Michiel de Ruyter game after game. In my latest game I called myself "Jaegermeister" on the grounds that it sounds cool and at least it's Germanic... Any recommendations?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

1) Capture the hell out of them. Try to get them early.. I usually found my colony with the pioneer and send the soldier to capture their colonies. Try to avoid them from growing colonies above 3, since they get Sieur de La Salle as one of their first fathers, and you'll have to keep any of their stockaded colonies (rather than relocating their colonists)

2) Scouts should be able to meet with them if you move into one of their cities, IIRC.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Heh. Thanks for the tips, I wanted to wait until I tried them to respond. I've started a game with the French right next door to me on a small continent (not too small, just big enough to hold eight colonies once I've finished ethnic-cleansing the native villages--isn't it odd that people object to games like GTA where you can murder hookers but nobody minds a little crime against humanity in a strategy game?).

Anyway, I'd have tried this a lot sooner if I'd known how profoundly retarded the enemy AI is. They just keep dropping off unarmed colonists alone to found little colonies in the same general area, even if my scout is right next to it waiting to take over (after beating their initial soldier, I stuck my soldier back in my first colony since I built it between two Indian villages). At least that's what happens at the lowest difficulty level, which is what I play at since, like I said, I suck. But I suspect that higher difficulties only give you lower SOL, founding father and immigrant rates and other such handicaps, no?
      1011 1100

Comment

hmm.. probably, I don't know. I almost always play on Conquistador now. The AI probably has some benefits, the expeditionary force is larger, and the king seems more eager o raise your taxes IIRC.

Also, don't kill those beginning enemy soldiers, wait for them to found cities. Free muskets FTW! Also, beginning next to the french, yum! free hardy pioneer!
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

You are also less likely to get skilled colonists from Europe, you can have less "tory" colonists in a single colony before you get inefficiency penalties IIRC.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: Colonization

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Elok
            1. Is there any way to discourage the computer players from parking colonies right next to yours for fun? You know how it sends out lone colonists and builds midget colonies aggressively close to yours when better sites are available, just to be a total douche and force you to start a war to get rid of them?

I only played a bit, but dont remember that happening.

2. On a related note, is there any way to start a dialog with AI players instead of just moving troops next to theirs and hoping they feel like talking? And is it just me or is Ben Franklin something of a downgrade as far as the always-offers-peace aspect is concerned? The buggers just stockpile units near your colonies and attack anyway, so BF basically makes it so that you can't have peace.

Great wall, without the walls, never looked appealing to me, I built somebody else, I forget whom.

3. I like to play as the Dutch (big surprise there), but I can never come up with a good Dutch name for myself and I don't like being Michiel de Ruyter game after game. In my latest game I called myself "Jaegermeister" on the grounds that it sounds cool and at least it's Germanic... Any recommendations?

Peter Stuyvesant
            Peter Minuit
            William of Orange
            Or just take out a map of NYC, and look for cool names, like Van Wyck, say.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
              Heh. Thanks for the tips, I wanted to wait until I tried them to respond. I've started a game with the French right next door to me on a small continent (not too small, just big enough to hold eight colonies once I've finished ethnic-cleansing the native villages--isn't it odd that people object to games like GTA where you can murder hookers but nobody minds a little crime against humanity in a strategy game?).
              You dont want a serious response to that, do you?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You know how Americans are: it's because murdering hookers implies that prostitution happens. Committing genocide is fine as long as you pillage but don't rape.

Comment

I would have waited, but the soldier was defending their first colony. I appreciated the free hardy pioneer, yes, but I underestimated the touchiness of the Iroquois and they killed him. In response I wiped the Iroquois off the continent by buying lots of dragoons in Europe. It kinda pisses me off that the Indians can capture one half-load of muskets from a soldier and magically arm a dozen units with them instantly, btw. It doesn't annoy me as much with horses, since the way horses breed and natives grow food it'd only be a matter of a few turns anyway.

I don't want to use names employed by the Continental Congress. I guess I'll just stick to calling myself stuff like Abraham Van Helsing ("that Apache was about to suck my blood!"), after one of the few Dutchmen I know of.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Cornelius Van Steenwyk
                    Stephanus Van Cortlandt
                    Johanness De Peyster

All 17th c mayors of NY.

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't mention Stuyvesant.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok It kinda pisses me off that the Indians can capture one half-load of muskets from a soldier and magically arm a dozen units with them instantly, btw.
                        Well, an irregular indian war party probably has much less men than a regular european regiment/division/whatever.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

That doesn't quite explain the teleporting muskets, though. A single brave on one side of the continent captures muskets, is killed that same turn, and a village on the other side of the continent is defended by three or four armed braves next turn. It's simpler to just say the computer cheats like a whore.
                          1011 1100

Comment

One turn spans 12 or 6 months...
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Don't put off getting a tobacco planter from the natives, cause the AI has a tendency to destroy all the indian camps.
                              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X