Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Playtest (Thread No. 6)

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    This is Martin Gühmann's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    09:41

Sick PROJECT: Playtest (Thread No. 6)

Previous Threads:

PROJECT: Playtest
    PROJECT: Playtest II
    PROJECT: Playtest Thread III
    PROJECT: Playtest (the 4th Thread)
    PROJECT: Playtest (Thread No. 5)

Mini-FAQ

General playtest info / questions:

#1 Do I need any additional files to make the playtest work?

IF it is a build created with the .NET compiler. Therefore you need the .NET runtime environment to run the *.exe.
    If you dont already have it it is avalaible at windows update or here.
    Or at least you need those two dlls if you don't want to install the .NET runtime.

#2 How do I make a mod work with these playtest versions?

Although not all have been tested thoroughly, most mods should work with this playtest version without any changes. If you suffer any difficulties please post about them.

#3 Do I need to install the official Activision patch before this playtest version?

It makes no difference whether you do or not. So it is just a waste of time.

#4 How should I report a bug?

Include as much relevant information as you can. If possible explain how to replicate the problem. If appropriate, attaching a screenshot or a savegame is helpful. If the bug involves a crash to desktop, then it is helpful to include the crash log. You can enable crash logging by editing your userprofile.txt (in [Your CTP2 directory]\ctp2_program\ctp\) to set EnableLogs=Yes. The log can then be found at [Your CTP2 directory]\ctp2_program\ctp\logs\crash.txt.

#5 When will a new playtest verson be released?

When a code monkey feels like it . This will usually be either when some serious bug is fixed, or enough minor fixes have piled up that need to be tested. If you want to test some recent change, you can post here to request a new playtest build and they will try to oblige you.

#6 When will a new playtest thread be posted?

When the old thread is full meaning it has reached or has exceeded the 500 post limit.

#7 How do I refer to a certain version?

You refer to a playtest by posting data or by date of compilation of the executable, you can find the date on the opening screen of the playtest. For instance our first playtest is dated from December the 9th 2003 or in other words it is playtest from 2003-09-12. In the latest playtest readme files we also included the code revision number, so you can also this.

#8 Why did you not use version numbers like Activision did?

We decided that we don't give them a version number until we reimplemented all of the useful features of Activision's v.1.1. Unfortunately there are still a few features missing from the patch. Therefore we haven't yet assigned a version like v.1.2 or v1.3. Well something above 1.2 or 1.3 would be more appropiate since we have been adding much more new features and fixes than the patch added. - Well let's see if this ever happens.

LATEST PLAYTEST: October 8th 2008

It is time for a new thead since the last one has reached the 500 post limit and it is time again for a new playtest, too. In the meantime we have made it to revision 866 of Apolyton Edition Playtest of CTP2.

All you need is is the following file and follow the instructions in its readme:

Edit: Updated link

Here is the latest revision 907:

A new version of the Apolyton Edition is ready for testing and playing. It is featuring a new way to upgrade units, an improved AI and a flicker bug fix.

If you want to upgrade units there is now an extra button on the unit order button bank, on the status bar you can see: How many units you can upgrade in the active army. How many units you could upgrade if you had the gold to do it. And the total number of units in the army. Furthermore, you see the gold you need to upgrade all the units you can upgrade and the gold you would need to upgrade all units in the army.

Various fixes have been added to the AI. In addition, the basic AI unit to goal assignment algorithm was redesigned. So that the AI now checks first whether it has enough units for sieging a city, instead of assigning and moving units to a city with canceling the goal if it figures out later that it does not has enough units. Also the AI unit rally algorithm has been redesigned so that the AI can group its units before it sieges cities.

A very nasty bug was a flickering of the tile highlight square that is painted around the tile on that the mouse pointer points. Such flickering draws your attention to it, even if nothing of interest is there, this is very tiring, but now it is removed so that you can play longer without getting tired.

Here is the download link.

And here is the list of changes from the readme:

Code:
    2008-10-08 (Revision 907)
    Fixed:    The tile highlight square at the mouse pointing position does not not
              blink anymore. In general, blinking items draw attention even if
              there is nothing important. In that case it was blinking always at
              the of the GUI repainting speed, which just makes the player tired.
    Fixed:    The AI now uses the right settle city bounding rectangle for settling.
    Changed:  The AI only considers a city in its goal assignment as unexplored if
              no tile improvement is visible. That is the same way as a human player
              behaves, since if he sees a tile improvement without a city then he
              concludes it must be in the dark.
    Added:    Extra upgrade command for the order button bank. The upgrade command
              has to be enabled before the game start from special rules screen.
              The upgrade command button is only visible if an army is active
              that contains an upgradable unit.
    Fixed:    The AI does rebuild its capitol if it has lost its capitol.
    Fixed:    The ration, workday, and wages sliders now add happiness, even if
              the overall slider happiness is positive. This behavior is the 
              expected one, even if the programmers capped the total increase,
              originally.
    Changed:  Cities are now watchful for seven turns like in Cradle, so that
              slavers go more to other cities.
    Changed:  If the AI build for offense it builds city walls first. Makes its
              defense stronger and protects from slavery.
    Fixed:    Slaves do not go to cities if those cities are at the population
              maximum.
    Fixed:    Slave raid failure message now displays the target city correctly.
    Fixed:    Slavers do not go to cities with walls.
    Fixed:    The AI does not consider boats with cargo as defenders although
              the cargo cannot defend. (e.g. Slavers)
    Changed:  Cleaned up various AI code files to improve code reliability and
              speed.
    Fixed:    The game does not crash anymore if a new civilization has the same
              player number that was used by a civilization killed previously.
    Fixed:    A crash while the game checked whether a unit can settle.
    Changed:  Instead of moving units first to a goal and then canceling the goal
              if it has not enough units when the units were already moved, it now
              does not send its units to those goals at all.
    Changed:  The AI now considers all goals on the base of nearby units.
    Changed:  The AI uses an algorithm for rallying troops that works.
    Fixed:    Slavers now go to cities with at least to population points.
    Fixed:    Some problems in multiplayer, but not all.
    Changed:  Some settings in goods.txt and DiffDB.txt for the Apolyton Edition Mod.
    Fixed:    A crash with missing population assignment data.
    Fixed:    The AI can now settle more than one city per turn.
    Fixed:    A potential crash in the char window.
    Fixed:    A bug caused by adding new civilisations during the game.
    Fixed:    The AI strategy is restored after a game reload, this fixes the AI's
              settling behavior for instance.
    Fixed:    A bug that makes the game crash if a unit is killed after a reload
              before it had its turn.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; January 5, 2009 at 14:52.
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Maquiladora
    Emperor
    Country
    This is Maquiladora's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Looks good Martin I'll try and test PBEM later tonight.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Maquiladora
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Well that was a good start

I got the error below (pic) when settling a city the first time.

Also what is up with the pop-up when the game starts about religion? "Zoroaster is preaching in our lands..." or something, should these changes be in the unmodified game?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Maquiladora
    I got the error below (pic) when settling a city the first time.
    Cool, isn't it, this way we get all those events called with invalid arguments, especially useful in slic debugging. If it is getting to annoying you can also disable it, look under advanced settings for the option right below slic debugging. It's the slic event debug option. Well in that case I think the problem is not so serious, but for the Grouping one I have to look harder. Oh and please keep up posting those error messages.

Also what is up with the pop-up when the game starts about religion? "Zoroaster is preaching in our lands..." or something, should these changes be in the unmodified game?
    Well for that you have to ask E. Especially since the stuff isn't finished, yet.

-Martin

Maquiladora
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

If it is getting to annoying you can also disable it, look under advanced settings for the option right below slic debugging. It's the slic event debug option. Well in that case I think the problem is not so serious, but for the Grouping one I have to look harder. Oh and please keep up posting those error messages.
    I disabled "DebugSlicEvents" which is around the centre of the list, which stopped the pop-up when building a city.

I'm getting a problem in PBEM though. The first time I build a city the pop-up comes up (or not when disabled) and the game appears to freeze, although I can move the cursor in the game. This doesn't happen in single player though.

EDIT: Actually the freeze appears to be related to the religion pop-up in-game. Anytime I get the religion pop-up at the start and when I build the first city the game freezes (except for the cursor), when I don't get the religion pop-up then city building is fine (apart from the debuc slic event pop-up on the desktop).
    Last edited by Maquiladora; November 18, 2007 at 22:08.

Tamerlin
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    10:41

Well for that you have to ask E. Especially since the stuff isn't finished, yet.

-Martin
    I haven't played for a long time and I am far from being up to date about the various modifications made to the original game. But as far as I am concerned religion has nothing to do into the basic game.

Any other opinion from me would have been surprising though.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    This is cue's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    08:41
    I updated to the new build 826.
    The save game is now unplayable because of the error "Maquiladora" posted. If I click "yes" the same box pops up 4-8 times, then I can open the game but then all the tiles are black but I can see the units. And if I try to do anything the error returns and sometimes there is a complete crash.
    oh yes, this is a saved game, saved from build 812.

Thank you for your work, looking forward to the first version (non beta).

Version 2007-11-19
    0x7d6210c8 [__onexitbegin + 0x7cc5d710]
    0x7d623a8e [__onexitbegin + 0x7cc600d6]
    0x7d62377d [__onexitbegin + 0x7cc5fdc5]
    0x77bbd08c [__onexitbegin + 0x771f96d4]
    0x0040217d [??2@YAPAXI@Z + 0xd]
    0x005252b5 [?BuildSaveList@GameFile@@SAPAV?$PointerList@VGameI nfo@@@@W4C3SAVEDIR@@@Z + 0x235]
    0x00715d5d [?SetType@LoadSaveWindow@@QAEXI@Z + 0x1fd]
    0x0071278b [?loadsavescreen_displayMyWindow@@YAHI@Z + 0x3b]
    0x00722142 [?optionwarningscreen_but1Press@@YAXPAVaui_Control@ @IIPAX@Z + 0x52]
    0x0064491b [?MouseLDropInside@aui_Button@@MAEXPAUaui_MouseEven t@@@Z + 0xdb]
    0x006c79b8 [?MouseLDropInside@ctp2_Button@@UAEXPAUaui_MouseEve nt@@@Z + 0x18]
    0x00666fd5 [?MouseDispatch@aui_Region@@QAEXPAUaui_MouseEvent@@ H@Z + 0x2c5]
    0x006654c5 [?HandleMouseEvent@aui_Region@@QAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@ PAUaui_MouseEvent@@H@Z + 0x115]
    0x00665438 [?HandleMouseEvent@aui_Region@@QAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@ PAUaui_MouseEvent@@H@Z + 0x88]
    0x00674379 [?HandleMouseEvents@aui_UI@@QAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@HPA Uaui_MouseEvent@@@Z + 0x99]
    0x006749b3 [?Process@aui_UI@@UAE?AW4AUI_ERRCODE@@XZ + 0x23]
    0x0040c1cf [?ProcessUI@CivApp@@AAEHIAAI@Z + 0x19f]
    0x0040c56b [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x11b]
    0x00406fa4 [?CivMain@@YGHPAUHINSTANCE__@@0PADH@Z + 0x394]
    0x00406a05 [WinMain@16 + 0x65]
    0x007fd91c [WinMainCRTStartup + 0x134]
    0x7d4e7d2a [__onexitbegin + 0x7cb24372]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ekmek
    Country
    This is Ekmek's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    00:41

By the way E, could you replace the old playtest in the directory with this one so that I can save some space and remove the outdated source code archieve from the directory. It even links to a non-Apolyton space. Oh, and please do it this time as fast as possible.
    Done

here is the link

2007.11.19.CTP2.Playtest.rar

Edit: Removed links. For an up to date version of the Apolyton edition click here.

Originally posted by Tamerlin

I haven't played for a long time and I am far from being up to date about the various modifications made to the original game. But as far as I am concerned religion has nothing to do into the basic game.

Any other opinion from me would have been surprising though.
    Religion will have no gameplay impact. Consider it a "flavor"

All I'm doing is setting it up to show "potential" modders how religion can be done in the AE.

As it works now if you research a certain tech you achieve a "religion feat" . The holy city wonder provides no bonuses or anything but can be built if you achieved the feat (RequiresFeat tag) or any player can try and build it if the feat has been achieved by one player (RequiresFeatAnyPlayer). even though a flag of goldfromimprovement is there its like the television gold code but takes it from any ciity that has the building. But to folow the tamerlin rule its set to 0 so you don't get anything.

The religion wonder enables the specific building (shrine) of that religion but that building has no bonuses (in the AE to not impact gameplay but is modifiable)

When you are a theocracy youi can build clerics just like before but this time the cleric (using the same unit graphic because I'm lazy) have the religion Icon instead of the national flag, and you do the same cleric missions. But if you convert another civs city it will create your religion temple (again it has no cost or bonus following tamerlin rule) but does display the religion icon for the city.

So as you can see in the AE will act just as a flavor but the tags are there for those that want to make religion a little more like civ4 (where you convert to raise gold). We can do this for corporations as well(the code is there) but I'm not going to do it because i think it should require resources and that may affect gameplay.

So bottomline it doesn't affect gameplay but will add a nice flavor.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; May 22, 2008 at 17:34.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Tamerlin
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by E
    Religion will have no gameplay impact. Consider it a "flavor"

All I'm doing is setting it up to show "potential" modders how religion can be done in the AE.

As it works now if you research a certain tech you achieve a "religion feat" . The holy city wonder provides no bonuses or anything but can be built if you achieved the feat (RequiresFeat tag) or any player can try and build it if the feat has been achieved by one player (RequiresFeatAnyPlayer). even though a flag of goldfromimprovement is there its like the television gold code but takes it from any ciity that has the building. But to folow the tamerlin rule its set to 0 so you don't get anything.

The religion wonder enables the specific building (shrine) of that religion but that building has no bonuses (in the AE to not impact gameplay but is modifiable)

When you are a theocracy youi can build clerics just like before but this time the cleric (using the same unit graphic because I'm lazy) have the religion Icon instead of the national flag, and you do the same cleric missions. But if you convert another civs city it will create your religion temple (again it has no cost or bonus following tamerlin rule) but does display the religion icon for the city.

So as you can see in the AE will act just as a flavor but the tags are there for those that want to make religion a little more like civ4 (where you convert to raise gold). We can do this for corporations as well(the code is there) but I'm not going to do it because i think it should require resources and that may affect gameplay.

So bottomline it doesn't affect gameplay but will add a nice flavor.
    Why should we include into the basic version things that have no effect in the game ?

I just want to say that I don't see the point of including in the basic game something that allows you to build something that does not have any effect on the game.

IMO, if this is the case, such changes should be immediately taken out of the basic game. But perhaps have I missed something ?

Last edited by Tamerlin; November 20, 2007 at 04:19.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I disabled slic (DebugSlicEvents=No) and the game seems to run, I still get these errors sometimes but its ok.

But after the update I don’t get the text in messages in the "MSGS" window between "Unit" and "Title". only icons and a single word "Diamond" and "Foolish" in another.

Can the game be run in a window (to get screenshots)?
    What is SLIC?

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by cue
    I disabled slic (DebugSlicEvents=No) and the game seems to run, I still get these errors sometimes but its ok.
    If you still get errors than you haven't slic debugging. That would have been the other option.

Originally posted by cue
    But after the update I don�t get the text in messages in the "MSGS" window between "Unit" and "Title". only icons and a single word "Diamond" and "Foolish" in another.
    For some reason I included the following sentence in my opening post.

All you need is is the following file and follow the instructions in its readme
    Anyway, here is the passage that matters for you:

After installation you can start a new game or continue a game from
    a previous version. All you need to do - after loading your save game - is to
    open the chat window by typing the apostrophe key (') and enter: /reloadslic
    You have to do this procedure once per save game.
    Originally posted by cue
    Can the game be run in a window
    No, it can't.

Originally posted by cue
    (to get screenshots)?
    Just press the print key (right of F12) on you keyboard and then use any paint programe and paste the data into a new image.

Originally posted by cue
    What is SLIC?
    An acronym for a computer language exclusively made for CTP2, so that you can mod the game in more ways than you can mod other games.

-Martin

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by Tamerlin
    I haven't played for a long time and I am far from being up to date about the various modifications made to the original game.
    Of course some of them include some translation works, str_loc.txt needs some more entries for new units, civilizations and goods.

-Martin

Tamerlin
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Of course some of them include some translation works, str_loc.txt needs some more entries for new units, civilizations and goods.

-Martin
    I will try to have a look at this file as soon as I have the time to do so... certainly not before Christmas though.

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I will try to RTFM from now on.
    Sorry about that

Got a crash while playing. Not much to say.

I belive the icon for trade embargo is missing from the diplomacy screen..?

Version 2007-11-19
    0x007d3384 [?Prioritize_Goals@Scheduler@@QAE_NXZ + 0x114]
    0x007d2b48 [?Process_Goal_Changes@Scheduler@@QAE?AW4TIME_SLICE _STATE@1@XZ + 0x138]
    0x007eed00 [?GEVHookCallback@CtpAi_BeginSchedulerEvent@@EAE?AW 4GAME_EVENT_HOOK_DISPOSITION@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGam eEventArgList@@@Z + 0x70]
    0x0057a7a7 [?Activate@GameEventHook@@QBE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@PA VGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x37]
    0x0057b168 [?ActivateHook@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ ERR@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x28]
    0x0057928d [?Process@GameEvent@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@XZ + 0x2d]
    0x0040c61f [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x1cf]

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I get a crash every time I end this turn.
    No problems until now with the new build.

http://apolyton.net/upload/view.php?...mer-1475AD.rar

Version 2007-11-19
    0x007dc297 [?Set_Can_Be_Executed@Goal@@QAEXAB_N@Z + 0x17]
    0x007d3402 [?Prioritize_Goals@Scheduler@@QAE_NXZ + 0x192]
    0x007d2b48 [?Process_Goal_Changes@Scheduler@@QAE?AW4TIME_SLICE _STATE@1@XZ + 0x138]
    0x007eed00 [?GEVHookCallback@CtpAi_BeginSchedulerEvent@@EAE?AW 4GAME_EVENT_HOOK_DISPOSITION@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGam eEventArgList@@@Z + 0x70]
    0x0057a7a7 [?Activate@GameEventHook@@QBE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ERR@@PA VGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x37]
    0x0057b168 [?ActivateHook@GameEventManager@@QAE?AW4GAME_EVENT_ ERR@@W4GAME_EVENT@@PAVGameEventArgList@@HAAH@Z + 0x28]

Ekmek
    Country
    This is Ekmek's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    00:41

EDIT: Actually the freeze appears to be related to the religion pop-up in-game. Anytime I get the religion pop-up at the start and when I build the first city the game freezes (except for the cursor), when I don't get the religion pop-up then city building is fine (apart from the debuc slic event pop-up on the desktop).
    yeah the freeze is relate dto the popup. its with the flag:

NeedsFeatToBuild

if you replace it with:

NeedsAnyPlayerFeatToBuild

it works better

but i definetely need to move the techs into the classical period

PS Martin I'm getting 3020: Building not in BuildingDB. not sure what that is refering to or what file, but wonder.txt and building.txt don't have 3020 lines
    Last edited by Ekmek; November 21, 2007 at 17:33.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by E

NeedsFeatToBuild

if you replace it with:

it works better
    Looks like you have to optimize your code.

Originally posted by E
    PS Martin I'm getting 3020: Building not in BuildingDB. not sure what that is refering to or what file, but wonder.txt and building.txt don't have 3020 lines
    Probably you put in one of your modified files the wrong building name, maybe feat.txt, I don't know. But it wouldn't be the first time you screwed it up. At least you are figuring on your own this time.

-Martin

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Uninstalled and installed clean, installed build 826.
    Then I could play past the turn in the save game I posted last. But after about one or sometimes two turns the game crashes with this error.

Version 2007-11-19
    0x007d9479 [?Get_Invalid@CTPGoal@@UBE_NXZ + 0x149]
    0x007d894b [?Get_Totally_Complete@CTPGoal@@UBE_NXZ + 0x2b]
    0x007d3387 [?Prioritize_Goals@Scheduler@@QAE_NXZ + 0x117]

And

Version 2007-11-19
    0x00650ed8 [?Unload@?$aui_Resource@Vaui_Image@@@@QAE?AW4AUI_ER RCODE@@PAVaui_Image@@@Z + 0x28]
    0x00650018 [?ExchangeImage@aui_ImageList@@QAEXHHPBD@Z + 0x88]
    0x006464ae [?ExchangeImage@aui_Control@@QAEXHHPBD@Z + 0x1e]
    0x006d5c2e [?UpdateBuildItem@CityControlPanel@@AAEXXZ + 0x29e]
    0x006d5578 [?Update@CityControlPanel@@QAEXXZ + 0x8]
    0x00405e01 [?ui_CheckForScroll@@YA_NXZ + 0x41]
    0x0040c10b [?ProcessUI@CivApp@@AAEHIAAI@Z + 0xdb]
    0x0040c56b [?Process@CivApp@@QAEHXZ + 0x11b]
    Last edited by cue; November 22, 2007 at 18:37.

Maquiladora
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Originally posted by E

NeedsFeatToBuild

if you replace it with:

it works better

but i definetely need to move the techs into the classical period
    I assume you mean only in wonder.txt? I changed those there and I can now build cities fine, but whenever I click on those wonder names in the build manager the game drops to the desktop with an "index out of bounds 0" error, and some other errors I don't have time to look into fixing.

I suggest this not be in the next build (except as a mod) because I can't test PBEM without fixing this first. If something goes wrong then I don't know if it's related to this or not.

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Can anyone please give me a workaround or something so I can play?

Protra3211
    Prince
    Country
    This is Protra3211's Country Flag
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Had the same problems as cue with the new playtest.
    While waiting have been giving Medieval Packed 2 a try.
    Have been going back to some of the work in the past.
    I can see how much more the playtest updates have improved the game.The playtest AI is not prone to declare war for no reason.Expands faster and is a better empire builder.
    Some things might be good to tweak like DiplomacyText file.Alert the AI to changes in how we are playing-militay safety event(tweak numbers)will see units move on its border and other factors as well.Make the AI smarter in diplomatic deals.
    Some miner tweaks to Startegies and Goals files and that would round things off.Have been researching and comparing mods.Small changes seem to work best.
    Some side notes: has anyone had the AI make a embassy with them or other AI,s.? Was wondering if the AI was able to make higher diplomatic deals.

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by cue
    Can anyone please give me a workaround or something so I can play?
    If I had any clue what is the problem there, it would have been already fixed. But fact is, if I load the savegame and press enter the the game runs until it's my turn again and I decide to quit the game, there is no crash in between.

That is the story on my side, but also fact is that I use conservative testing conditions, since I want to exactly see what a change here or there does precisely. Therefore, I don't use all those fancy new options we have in stock. So I have to figure out what of those options you are using. The best way to figure out what options you are using is to look at your userprofile.txt. So would you so kind and attach your userprofile.txt here, so that I can look into it. You can find it in your ..\ctp2_program\ctp\ folder

-Martin

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    No problem, should I include that every time I post a save game?
    I will try to get a better idea when the crash happens.

The game is getting a little big, every turn takes about 40 seconds to finish.

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by cue
    No problem,
    Thank zou verz much. Now I just have to go to mz home computer...

Originally posted by cue
    should I include that every time I post a save game?
    I don't think this is necessary, since you don't change your profile settings all the time.

Originally posted by cue
    I will try to get a better idea when the crash happens.
    To me it seems that there is some kind of random element that makes it so difficut for me to find the problem. But all of them are related to the AI goal processing.

Originally posted by cue
    The game is getting a little big, every turn takes about 40 seconds to finish.
    I know, that's because the AI from the South has a war with the AI in the North and you happen to be right in the middle. Unfortunately if both opponents are on the same continent, the AI does not consider sea routes, even if your are sitting right in the middle. But this isn't the full problem, since you have effectivly blocked the way between those two AIs, the AI in the South is constantly searching for new goals for its armies and has always figure out that the path to the goal is blocked and so it tries to find something else again.

By the way you can also fortify your units instead of putting them to sleep. This has the advantage that they don't wake up when someone passes by, but you get also a bonus if someone attacks the fortified units.

-Martin

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Thank you yet again
    I have not played for a log time, but I enjoy it very much.
    I figured fortifying would not help at all, those units are so outdated. But of course every little helps if they decide to attack

When you say it I remember that this problem did not start until they declared war on each other.
    But this problem is also present when I start a new game, when I build the first city.

Can more auto-saves be added? I mean that a game is saved both at the beginning of a turn and at the end?
    I think it would be good to have auto-saves a little back in time too, maybe two or three turns.?

cue
    Chieftain
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    Here are some more.
    I can confirm, if it needed confirming that the crashes are random. If I reload and end the turn sometimes it works.
    With this save however I cannot get past the turn, there is a crash when I try to end the wonder movie.

P.s if you can run this save just fine I am going to format my computer and swap XP 32 bit for this 64bit "dream" of an Os, I currently use(XP64).
    Last edited by cue; November 27, 2007 at 18:47.

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

Originally posted by cue
    Here are some more.
    I can confirm, if it needed confirming that the crashes are random. If I reload and end the turn sometimes it works.
    With this save however I cannot get past the turn, there is a crash when I try to end the wonder movie.
    Well, you can disable the wonder movies from the advance options.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce one of these errors. Maybe I will encounter them in the future or when, I set up my Windows XP64. By the way what are the advantages of this operating system?

Originally posted by cue
    P.s if you can run this save just fine I am going to format my computer and swap XP 32 bit for this 64bit "dream" of an Os, I currently use(XP64).
    That doesn't guarantee that you doesn't have the problem on a 32 windows, either. It could also be caused by some other program running on your computer. You may use msconfig to disable programs that run on startup and in background. For instance the Adobe Acrobat reader thinks it needs to be loaded into memory on startup even if you don't open any pdfs in the current session. However you should google for the programs you don't know.

If this doesn't work it speeds up at least your computer.

Another possibility could be to run the game in compatibility mode. On Windows XP 32, you have the option to run it in compatibility mode with Win95, Win98/ME, WinNT 4.0 SP5, and Win2000. If WinXP64 does not have a WinXP32 compatibility option, hopefully one of the others will do, since the original CTP2 supports Win95.

-Martin

Maquiladora
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I got this error constantly on the first AI's turn when trying to play the first turn in my Red Front scenario. I'm not using any SLIC (although I had been before to develop the scenario) so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

It's been a while (maybe 2 releases) since I tried my scenario with the AE so a lot of things have changed, hopefully it can be fixed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Martin Gühmann
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time

It's been a while (maybe 2 releases) since I tried my scenario with the AE so a lot of things have changed, hopefully it can be fixed.
    Maybe I already have fixed it. Obviously I should release the next version.

-Martin

Maquiladora
    Emperor
    Country
    Thanks
    Local Date
    October 21, 2014
    Local Time
    I thought the problem might just be with my scenario save, as it has been saved on many different playtests. But if the problem looks familiar then I'll wait for the next AE to see if it fixes it.

Also the new civ selection window with the scroll bar is confusing when starting a scenario, because the civs you can't choose are no longer greyed out like they used to be.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast