Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played around 250 turns, all running smoothly so far, except that barbarians are spawning outside fog of war. I guess this wasn't intentional?
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maquiladora
      except that barbarians are spawning outside fog of war.
      You mean they are spawning inside your borders?

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

You mean they are spawning inside your borders?
        Yeah.

I think it stopped though while I had the Great Wall, then started again once an AI discovered Cavalry Tactics and obsoleted it. I may be imagining that though. Obviously they stopped attacking me at least while I had the Great Wall.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

• Founding cities outside own borders

hi,

I was playing last night using the latest playtest, and noticed something I wasn't sure I'd seen before. Has it always been the case that settlers can found cities inside another civ's borders? Maybe it's always been there and I've never noticed it. But it seemed surprising when I saw it, and I wondered if it was playtest-specific.

Comment

• Re: Founding cities outside own borders

Originally posted by special_unit
            hi,

I was playing last night using the latest playtest, and noticed something I wasn't sure I'd seen before. Has it always been the case that settlers can found cities inside another civ's borders? Maybe it's always been there and I've never noticed it. But it seemed surprising when I saw it, and I wondered if it was playtest-specific.
            You've always been allowed to settle inside another civs borders, perhaps it shouldn't be allowed.

In all the playtests I've only ever seen the AI do it twice, and that was after I blocked all their borders with forts, they seemingly got annoyed and just settled in my forts border.

I don't think I ever saw them settle inside my borders in the unmodifed game, except when they stumbled across a ruin with a city inside.

Comment

• Re: Re: Founding cities outside own borders

Originally posted by Maquiladora

You've always been allowed to settle inside another civs borders, perhaps it shouldn't be allowed.
              It just brings to mind the most annoying parts of Civ I - having to maintain a "border fence" of units to guard against AI encroachment. It became a kind of minigame in itself.

In all the playtests I've only ever seen the AI do it twice, and that was after I blocked all their borders with forts, they seemingly got annoyed and just settled in my forts border.

I don't think I ever saw them settle inside my borders in the unmodifed game, except when they stumbled across a ruin with a city inside.
              Maybe in this version they've become more aggressive generally. Certainly I'd never been aware of it before, playing previous playtests. I suppose the thing is to catch settlers the instant they're inside your borders and give them the Order of the Boot.

Comment

• At the moment it's not a problem for the human, since the AI hardly ever tries to settle inside your borders, at least in my games. They used to move settlers through my land to get to open land but not so much in the newer playtests it seems.

It's probably more of a problem for the AI, since the human can exploit it much more, by building cities in AI land then building forts to grab the land.

Anyway, on any map size above small you mostly want at least a 2 ring radius per city, and that means settling outside (yours and the AI's) border every time.

Comment

• Re: Founding cities outside own borders

Originally posted by special_unit
                  It always has been the case that AI settlers can found cities within my borders and the AI always used this. I cannot remember whether it was the case in the default game but in mods it was clearly the case. Probably it happens if you prefer a wide city spacing instead of a narrow city spacing. Obviously in a narrow city spacing there is no room between your cities.

But anyway, if the AI wants to grab my land then this can only mean war. And in this case it will cost the AI more than it can gain.

-Martin

Comment

• Re: Re: Founding cities outside own borders

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

But anyway, if the AI wants to grab my land then this can only mean war. And in this case it will cost the AI more than it can gain.
                    I have no problem with the AI using aggressive settling as long as their personality is aggressive, and so they are likely to be ready for the consequences too

But its out of character for a peaceful AI to steal land, and I would expect them to be less prepared for my revenge too.

Comment

• Never mind, I got the updated version from a couple days ago and it seems to be working ok
                      Last edited by Schlag96; April 17, 2008, 17:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schlag96

Any ideas? I am really jonesing to play but I hate the box version with all its crappiness
                        If you want to play without those popups you can disable them in options > advanced > "slic event debug messages" OFF.

Comment

• This is a funny, the barbarians spawned next to my city and took it, I didn't have any units close so I tried to attack with 3 coracles, and they did!

They got wiped out but at least they tried.

You can actually attack with any non-attack unit too, even diplomats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maquiladora
                            This is a funny, the barbarians spawned next to my city and took it,
                            Looks like I am not the only one who loses cities to the Barbarians.

I didn't have any units close so I tried to attack with 3 coracles, and they did!
                            They got wiped out but at least they tried.
                            If you had waited one turns the Barbarians would have left the city probably they would then have been successful.

You can actually attack with any non-attack unit too, even diplomats.
                            Possibly this is a problem with the AI attack fix. Can this also be done in the original game or in the last playtest version?

-Martin

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Looks like I am not the only one who loses cities to the Barbarians.
                              When they spawn in open view it's really difficult to be prepared. I've started to garrison each city with 3 or 4 modern units now (before I would only use 1 warrior in every city...).

If you had waited one turns the Barbarians would have left the city probably they would then have been successful.
                              Thats what they did the next turn. I could've also retreated the coracles but its kind of cheating.

Possibly this is a problem with the AI attack fix. Can this also be done in the original game or in the last playtest version?
                              It can't be done in the original game, I just tried. I never tried with previous playtests so I don't know.

Comment

• Another small bug: when a unit is "asleep" if you press "f" to fortify, the unit doesn't fortify, just stays asleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X