Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me to edit a text file

Nobody reads the tech forum.

The data is roughly 900k characters. How do I replace every character X from the data and replace them with character Y? Of course I could do it manually, but I'm looking for quicker solutions.

I refuse to believe that this is such a hard thing to do. I'm trying to search for OpenOffice plug-ins that would do this, but my googling skills suck

Uh

Search and replace? usually CTRL-H in text editors. Even notepad.exe can do it.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If it would be that easy, I wouldn't be asking it.

How do I replace [enter] with [space]?

Comment

Maybe next time you should be specific if your request is obscure. Just a thought.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

You mentioned OpenOffice. Is this on Linux/Unix?

Comment

no, winxp

the data is in (read: has been coded and saved to) a MS notepad-based file, i've tried to paste it to different programs and search for a tool to get the job done. one would except this sort of feature to be piss-easy to program into a text editor.

Comment

What if you paste it into Excel, export as a CSV, and then replace teh commas with spaces?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                no, winxp

the data is in (read: has been coded and saved to) a MS notepad-based file, i've tried to paste it to different programs and search for a tool to get the job done. one would except this sort of feature to be piss-easy to program into a text editor.
                Yes, it is.

In MS word, a linefeed is "^l" (or caret-lowercase L).

So all you'd do is Ctrl-H, search for "^l", replace with a space " " and you're done.

I don't know if OO can do this.

More generally, ^0nnn can signify any ANSI character. Where nnn is the 3-digit ANSI index.
                And ^nnn is the same thing, but for ASCII characters.
                And ^t is tab. ^p is paragraph.

Comment

Yes, it is.

In MS word, a linefeed is "^l" (or caret-lowercase L).

So all you'd do is Ctrl-H, search for "^l", replace with a space " " and you're done.

I don't know if OO can do this.

More generally, ^0nnn can signify any ANSI character. Where nnn is the 3-digit ANSI index.
                  And ^nnn is the same thing, but for ASCII characters.
                  And ^t is tab. ^p is paragraph.
                  Thank you very much. I was getting a bit desperate for not finding any help from documentations of the different editor programs, it would be pretty damn stupid to correct the exactly same mistake thousands of times manually while using a computer to do it. You just saved me from a lot of work.

Comment

Get EditPad Lite. (For the future.)

Comment

UltraEdit owns all.

Comment

NoteTab Pro

Comment

notepad
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                            notepad
                            QFT
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                            X