Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to anti-gravity, life extention and the perpetual motion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to anti-gravity, life extention and the perpetual motion?

These are all things that interest me but the stories just vanished. Like they found these things and they don't want to share the secrets.

What other stories just vanish?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Perhaps they vanished because everyone knows they're useless at the present day and not possible by our current technology (though anti-gravity is possible ... you flown in an airplane lately? That's anti-gravity of a sort ... pushing up against gravity).

Life Extension is a major field, by the way. There are journals and all sorts of companies that offer various products, services, etc. ... cryogenic freezing, nutritional supplements, as well as funding more serious scientific studies. Quite a racket... some of which might even be semi-legit.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

not practical, too expensive, or impossible

Comment

I think the cryogenic frozen people are grade A suckers. In a hundred years somebody is going to bother to defrost them.

Comment

yeah the grandchildren don't need to defrost, they already have the money passed down, so the old people serve no use.

Comment

I'm working on the perpetual motion thingy...
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
              I'm working on the perpetual motion thingy...
              If we could harness the power of your avatar it'd be a done deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                I think the cryogenic frozen people are grade A suckers. In a hundred years somebody is going to bother to defrost them.
                I'll just wait till people are able to look back in time and then reconstruct us that way. Don't have to pay for that.

(the wait won't seem any longer)

Comment

I'm sure our brain-sucking alien overlords will find them delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                    yeah the grandchildren don't need to defrost, they already have the money passed down, so the old people serve no use.
                    Exactly. "If we wake this old bat up, he's going to want our dough."

Aeson, I don't want to be 'reconstructed'. Who wants to die twice? I can just see me playing my harp and having a heavenly beer and I get yanked back to this grind. Ok, I admit this isn't much of a grind right now but...

Zkrib, chunchy outside, light and chewy inside.

Theben, remember, the motion must be 'perpetual', and without you pushing or kicking it every so often.

Comment

Theben's Hobbs avatar has been doing that dance unabated for years. I think he's onto something...
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I think he's on something...

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                          Aeson, I don't want to be 'reconstructed'. Who wants to die twice? I can just see me playing my harp and having a heavenly beer and I get yanked back to this grind. Ok, I admit this isn't much of a grind right now but...
                          You'd get bored of heaven soon enough. By the time they bring you back there will be really cool stuff like Civ MCDXII (with perfected virtual reality diplomatic sessions with Isabella... ) and really zaney cyborg implants to play with. Much better than a silly harp.

And you won't die again. If they've got to the point where they have the ability (and spare resources) to reach into the past and reconstruct us... you really think they won't have already developed methods to just reach a little bit back and incrimentally reconstruct themselves? A relaxing day at a spa to regenerate a certain percentage of the cells in your body. Or even if it's not that fun a proceedure, it could occur while your nervous system has been co-opted by a virtual reality program where you think you're spending a day at a spa to regenerate a certain percentage of the cells in your body....

And that's worst case scenario. Since there may be other ways to pre-emptively negate aging eventually.

(Well, actually worst case scenario is they're all a bunch of sadists who want to just bring you back, kill you, and do it over and over again... our only defense against that though is to no reproduce, and good luck convincing humanity to accept that!)

Comment

I like the Isabella bit the best.

Come on though, they'll bring us back to carry their bags, wash their toilets and mow their lawns the lazy futuristic bastards.

That's the way of the world. Heaven on the other hand is endless and eternal, with no toilets.

Comment

Well, anti-gravity is up in the air, life extention is a bit of a stretch, and perpetual motion can't be pinned down.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X