Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random events & Quests

Hello

I rarely post but here goes! Now, I'm a huge fan of all kinds of random events and was most pleased when they introduced this feature in BTS and overall I think the implementation was succesful. But for the life of me I couldn't find many threads regarding them on this forum (forgive me if I'm wrong). Now, I did find an interesting thread on CFC here which pretty much covers it. However, since I do prefer Apolyton over CFC I was hoping to get a discussion going here as well, seeing that both Ori (original thread starter at CFC) and Solver post here as well.

So, what's your take on random events? Personally I am still, even after reading the thread at CFC, interested in how the mechanics work. Being a huge fan of random events as mentioned, I'd like to know the logic behind them (Active, weight? ) and so on. Also, activating and possibly creating new "random" events would be most interesting and after activating the disabled Tsunami event (and putting a relatively high possibility of it happening) I've had moments of pure joy along with cries of pain when Tsunami's have hit coastal towns of both my enemies and myself. Good times.

Now, let's hear it!
    "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Tsunami :shudder:

Solver's event modding guide is quite easy to use, I highly recommend it
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Not sure how I feel about the random events. There are a few that really grind my gears --

Slave revolts stink, but I guess maybe slavery needed a nerf. I try to console myself with the fact that I see foreign cities having revolts on a fairly regular basis as well. It is a strong argument in favor or Spiritual -- grow, switch to Slavery, round of whips, wait 5 turns, switch to Serfdom, lather, rinse, repeat.

Swarms of locusts or mine cave-ins occuring the turn after I complete that vital metal hook up or corn farm, sort of take the wind out of your sails during the early game. You spend those turns trying to maximize the speed with which you can get that stuff hooked up, them race onto your next task and, boom, 9 turns of work gone.

My absolute least favorite event is the 2390 barb uprising. The possibility of this event turns every game into "Raging barbs lite". Maybe leaving the capital defended by a single warrior during early expansion is a little bit cheesy, but it seems necessary on medium (prince/monarch) difficulties. I've had two games where the stack of 4 archers appears right on my borders and three turns later my capital is in ruins.

Overall, I'm on the fence. The events detract from the strategic side of the game and I'm not sure the flavor they add is enough to balance this. I've toyed with turning them off, but haven't so far. I am glad to see they've generally been off the in tri-league tourney games.
      The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

I do not post here "as well" Fleme, I live here
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I like these new events Of course, I have also gotten disappointed like in my recent game where I build a lot of cities, changes civics etc to try to get 11 libraries before the renaissance era and found that the reward was rather lousy compared to the effort. Or when I was asked to conquer a city for oil and got only four tanks as a reward. But all-in-all, they give a nice flavour to the game and events like these have also happened in history. Some small things have really changed it. And civilizations with a great growth have suddenly been wiped out by barbarians.

Unplanned and suddenly events and coincidences have happened, do happen and will happen. That's how it is and I love that it's implemented in Civ4 now.

Comment

Overall the quest rewards are not worth the trouble. I do them if I will I will do them anyway, if I am going to build X libraries anyway or N forges, might as wall get the reward, but I don't think it is worth changing your entire strategy just to get that reward (make that any reward).

Comment

Yeah... the rewards are usually not worth the extra effort. I don't really let them effect my strategy. If I get them, great... if not, no big deal. However, if I'm close, I might whip that last library or stable or whatever, but I don't let them move me off my game plan.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                Yeah... the rewards are usually not worth the extra effort. I don't really let them effect my strategy. If I get them, great... if not, no big deal. However, if I'm close, I might whip that last library or stable or whatever, but I don't let them move me off my game plan.
                Touche' I have the same attitude when it comes to quests.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Usually true, yeah.

At least, it's never worth building something useless just in order to get the reward, like tririmes after they're obsolete on pangea or something.

If it's something useful, like libararies or swordsmen, and the reward is decent, you might want to consider it, even if it means a change in stratagy. But yeah, don't do something otherwise really bad just to finish a quest.

Comment

I'm still playing my first BTS game. I like random events, but they could be much better.

I'm upset I seem to get a plane crash every two turns. I don't think they are balanced for marathon mode.

Comment

Consider your plane crashes a fluke for just this game, Dis. Sometimes they happen frequently, some games rarely ... even in marathon.

Comment

To emphasize Jaybe's comments, I've never had a plane crash happen to me. Seen it hit the AI a couple times, though.

Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                          I'm still playing my first BTS game. I like random events, but they could be much better.

I'm upset I seem to get a plane crash every two turns. I don't think they are balanced for marathon mode.
                          Bad events do seem to happen in clusters though. I tend to have multiple mining accidents, blizzards, volcanic eruptions, tornados, and farm bandits .
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Plane crashes are a type of event intended to encourage you not to build a billion planes ... many negative events are like that. If you play certain strategies that involve going all for one thing (lots of mines, lots of planes, etc.) you will hit more negative events in that line. (Not sure about the plane crash balanced for marathon though.) That's the point of the events...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

That doesn't seem true, as I often get plane crashes without having built a single plane
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X