New York, New York: city visit recommendations and Polymeet March 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York, New York: city visit recommendations and Polymeet March 2008

Well as it seems I'll be in NYC for a few days in March next year (18th-22nd) going with some UN project of the Free University of Berlin. It's a Model project so I'll be in a group representing one UN country (not necessarily Germany) in a UN model of students from all over the world. You could argue about the relevance of the UN here and how it's manifested in this kind of projects, but for the individual participating it certainly means an opportunity a) to get to know international institutions and b) to get to NYC.

So I thought while I'm going to be there I might as well take some time to see some really cool stuff beyond the obvious city tour we'll probably take anyway. Maybe I'll have some days over after the big thing, maybe a week or so So what's out there in NYC that is cool to visit?

And while we're at it, why not have an east coast polymeet on this occasion Has there been one in New York?

Oh yes and before I forget it, it's all going to be so cheeeaap for me euro dude. I haven't been in a place with a substantially weaker currency than my own before that wasn't also substantially lower developped

Catch teh $25 bus to Washington, DC
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Those are Communist buses.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Etchy is East German.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I recommend wandering around Times Square, staring upward at all the big buildings, slack-jawed.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

In addition, you should be as curious as possible about your surroundings. Take lots of photographs of the buildings, get measurements, ask people about the foundation materials and load-bearing structures used in construction. Also, as much as possible, speak only in German; Americans love foreign tongues.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Ask a cop where they keep the "Nuclear Wessels," with a heavy Russian accent. See if he gets the Star Trek reference.

-Arrian
              Last edited by Arrian; October 24, 2007, 12:25.
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

(It's wessels, iirc.)

Comment

New York Polly Meets haven't been very successful for some reason.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                    (It's wessels, iirc.)
                    Indeed it is. Good catch, thanks.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

If you hadn't quoted me I would have just edited out my post and we could have pretended it never happened.

Comment

YOU CAN GO TO MACY SUPERSTORE AND YOU VISIT THIS PLACE CALLED THE VIRGIN STORE, THE ACTUALLY HAVE CDs!

Other megaplaces are, I mean you MUST EAT at the McDonalds IN time square. IT IS THE BEST!

Other than this, you can hang inside the hotel and watch quality television series, see them even BEFORE the actual tv rip is available on the internet. Tell your friends all about it! Call them when you're watching the new episode of Weeds, "DUDE, I ALREADY SAW IT! HAHAHAHA!"
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Must not let this drop.

Comment

If you want to be real adventurous, you might leave Manhattan to go to the other boroughs...I know it sounds awful, but given that most of NYC is actually not made up of Manhattan, it will give you a much better view of things.

Thought it does not seem you would have the time to do so, given you only are staying four days and I assume the UN conference will take up lots of time.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

1) Go to a pizza place
                              2) Order a "cheese pie"
                              3) Consume

Also, you could try to get tickets to a show at Radio City Music Hall, see the Rockettes...

Something to keep you busy between bouts of eating the best pizza in the world.
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                              X