Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm surrounded by flames... California fires

California is on fire again.

Normally it's 70 every day here. Yesterday it was 88. Today it's 88. I know I'm a wimp, but living here very long makes any change feel like a huge swing in temperatures.

I hate Santa Ana winds.

Hundreds of thousands flee California wildfires

13 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — Wind-whipped wildfires raged unchecked across California on Monday, forcing the evacuation of hundreds of thousands of people and besieging homes from Los Angeles to the Mexican border.

At least 10 fires were blazing throughout southern California with thousands of firefighters struggling to contain flames that have ripped through tinder-try hillsides and parkland following months of record-low rainfalls.

One person has been killed, more than 20 people injured and 84,000 acres (34,000 hectares) destroyed in the fires, which have reportedly forced the evacuation of 250,000 people in San Diego County alone.

oh. speaking of fire. the other night there was a car that got torched. i saw it on the way back to my friend's house. that was some scary ****.

Comment

There is some good news finally!

In Malibu, about 700 firefighters worked to protect hundreds of homes in several upscale communities nestled in the hills. About 1,500 people were evacuated and the blaze destroyed a church and several homes, one of them the landmark Castle Kashan, a stately fortress with turrets and arched windows.

The castle belonged to Lilly Lawrence, the daughter of a former Iranian oil minister. She said she was able to gather a few things before the fire engulfed her home, including some jewelry and memorabilia that included Elvis Presley's Army fatigues.

Comment

lol LOL

Comment

I'm not even going to ask how she got Elvis out of his army fatigues.

Comment

It probably involved some diggin' - at least she had the decency to let him stay.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

On a more serious note - people has a tendency to rescue personal things like pics and letters while leaving the flat screen back in the flames.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

insurance will buy them a bigger flat screen
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Well, even if not insured, they'll do it

Steven Weinberg

Comment

At least we know that they're working hard to save rich peoples' homes!!

Seriously, what is going on in California... there has to be things that could be done to prevent these insane fires. Is it all the environmentalists' fault for not allowing more preventitive logging (forest clearing), or is there something deeper wrong here?
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

L.A. is located in a desert. A common native plant is the chapperal, which explodes when it burns.

When the "Santa Ana" [santana] winds blow, temperatures climb into the 100's and humidity drops into single digits. Lots of heat; lots of oxygen; lots of fuel. All in all, a receipt for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Seriously, what is going on in California... there has to be things that could be done to prevent these insane fires. Is it all the environmentalists' fault for not allowing more preventitive logging (forest clearing), or is there something deeper wrong here?
                        If there are environmentalists preventing the logging of sage-brush and cheat-grass... sure.

Hot + Dry = Fires. Windy makes them big. You get some arson, some lightning, a careless campfire or other accident... and that's all there really is to it.

The reason they tend to happen all at once is because of how the weather works here. The Santa Ana winds turn what's usually a somewhat moist and mild environment into a hot, dry, windy one. Usually happens in the fall, when the grasses are already dying regardless, and it just turns most of SoCal into a tinderbox waiting to ignite.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

It's not a logging issue - there's nothing to log in a commercial sense. Brush clearing is expensive, and it's a continuous process, plus you can't do too much of it, or you create an equally bad (or worse) erosion and soils stability problem.

The basic problem isn't environmental, it's human. Too many people expanding further and further into fire-hazardous terrain, in an area with desert climates and frequent droughts. Stuff's gonna burn.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

well her house is. according to the BBC. i'm now officially fully informed on what's happening in the world.

in related highly important news, tom cruise made a statement about the california fires
                            BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

who the --bleep-- cares?!?!?
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Famous people are in danger, they need to save them.
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                              X