Civilization II and Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NP, I'm onna get 4gb of RAM.
    I've heard when u use all Vista visual stuffs, it uses 500MB.
    Though of coure you can always change preferences.
    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

When I first got Civ 2 my computer was so limited that I had to turn the animated heralds and videos off! My new mobile phone contains a significantly more powerful computer.
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

That's technology for ya! It's like trying to compare the new gfx of all the lates games and the gfx for C64.. Or even NES..
        "Peace cannot be kept by force.
        It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Civ II and Windows Vista

I just bought a brand new computer and I had no choice but to get Windows Vista. I have Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition and I tried to install it - and it didn't work.

Once the DVD was in the drive, the computer asked me if I wanted to install it. I said install and the computer paused a minute and then did nothing!! I tried it three times.

So I wish I could say differently, but I don't think the transition to windows vista is as seamless as some people say. (Not that I mind the operating system - but if I can't play CIV2

Comment

Strange! My copy of Civ II multiplayer works fine. Could it be that the computer is scanning the program for viruses before it begins installation?

Maybe try temporarily switching off security settings (while disconnected from the net!) or alternatively waiting longer to give the computer time to scan the disc fully.

When I try to install Combat Mission I have the same problem, but if I go away and make a cup of tea and watch a little TV, by the time I return the installation screen is up. I guess I could just turn off all the virus scanners but I like a nice cup of tea
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
            SL INFORMATION THREAD
            CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

I love tea, so I will give it a try. Thanks

I will let you know if I have any luck.

Comment

I just moved all my Civ2 and ToT files& directories to my new PC (WinXP). Everything works fine, but i should note that i removed the CD check. If it's still the same under vista is another question. I did order a copy of vista but didn't border to install it.
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

I finally got CivII to work with Vista. Dell has a bunch of junk loaded on my computer so it runs super slow. I need to clean all the junk off and I should be fine. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X