Civilization II and Windows Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization II and Windows Vista

I don't know if this has been adressed before hereor somewhere else. But does Civ2 work flawless with vista? Does batch-file works (or do u just use choice like in xp)? Anyone using vista that knows.

Reason for me asking is that I've bought a new computer (will arrive in probably 1-2 weeks), and I just thought of civ2!
    I hope it works.
    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Relax, it works fine. The only slight flaws are the advisor screen does not work so no more Elvis and the animated heralds don't appear. There may be a way of fixing this.

Batch files run OK if you add the CHOICE file into the scenario folder.

I occasionally get an error message saying "Wave File error" that seems to be triggered by the sound of units moving. When this happens I just save the game, close Civ down then open Civ again and reload the game. It really doesn't happen too often but a fix would be good!

Looks like Civ II will keep going at least until the next version of Windows

This reminds me. I used to have a copy of Talonsoft's Western Front. I loved a bit of hex based WWII combat but one day it just stopped working (on XP). I even ordered a new copy from e-bay but this did not work.

I thought it may be caused by Windows updates but even when I reset the machine using the 'restore factory setting' disc it came up with the same error message.

I scoured the web for patches o solutions but came up with a blank.

Just mentioning this on the off chance that anyone has had the same problem and knows a cure
    Last edited by McMonkey; October 16, 2007, 16:47.
    SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
    SCENARIO LEAGUE WIKI SITE
    SL INFORMATION THREAD
    CIV WEBRING MULTIPLAYER FORUM

Comment

Originally posted by Arthedain
      Reason for me asking is that I've bought a new computer (will arrive in probably 1-2 weeks), and I just thought of civ2!
      I hope it works.
      I got a new computer too... *cough* My dad's old computer. So I finally upgraded from Windows 98 to XP! What's this Vista you're talking about?

Originally posted by McMonkey
      Relax, it works fine. The only slight flaws are the advisor screen does not work so no more Elvis and the animated heralds don't appear. There may be a way of fixing this.
      That sounds like a video codec problem again... Have you tried installing that WinXP Indeo Video thing?

Batch files run OK if you add the CHOICE file into the scenario folder.
      I suppose most people will have Windows XP by now. People should start trying to use SET /P. You can combine it with CHOICE so batch files can work on all platforms without having to include anything extra. See explanation here:
      in scenarios with multiple events files, when i open the ms-dos bach file it only opens for 1 second, then it closes, it took me 5 mins to get a screenshot of the words, which r only on the screen for .1 seconds. :mad: :mad: as such, in games like cross&crecent and imperial rome, i can not...
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

How many versions of Windows is Civ2 now older than I wonder?
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Vista is an OS I would prefer to avoid, for as long as possible!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

For what its worth, in my opinion Vista is fine once you get used to the changes. I have heard a lot of negative things about it but I haven't had any problems yet and there are a lot of features that are improvements over 98 and XP.
            SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
            SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

I reckon Vista is as (un)reliable as XP when it first came out.
              But with time (and patches) the OS became quite OK!

It's a pity we need more resources than the entire
              US air defence system to run Pasta-La-Vista though!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
              http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't be falling for Bill's attempts to flog you software you don't really need! Nothing wrong with Win 3.1 or Dos for that matter
                http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Psst. Gareth....time to upgrade!
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Indeed Gareth. Upgrade NOW!

Well agt least now I know, and can sleep again at nights.

Comment

Gareth, ignore the used car salesmen pushing Vista.

P.S. If you are interested, I've got a mint condition Commodore 86 going real cheap.
                      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Ahh the Commodore.. I remember when we had a C64. Even though I was more of a NES/SNES kid.

Comment

I remember my C64. I brought it second hand with a massive plastic bucket full of games

I remember putting a tape in to load a game then going out and doing something else for a while, like start and finish building a model of the Eiffel Tower out of matches or learn a new language, and come back to find it was still loading!

Some of the games had space invaders (Invader-load)to play while you waited for the game to load.

My best mate had a Spectrum which I sneered at until he became one of the first people I knew who owned an Amiga

Now that was a really good computer! Games like North and South, Laser Squad, Shinobi, Double Dragon...
                          I ended up practically living in his house!

I ended up owning a few consoles like Gameboy, Sega Master system and Playstation (which had a basic version of Civ II!) but I really got back into computers when I discovered Civ II on another friends computer and I have been hooked ever since.
                          SCENARIO LEAGUE FORUM
                          SL INFORMATION THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by AGRICOLA
                            Gareth, ignore the used car salesmen pushing Vista.

P.S. If you are interested, I've got a mint condition Commodore 86 going real cheap.
                            I'll swap you for a Sinclair ZX81 with plg-in 16k (!) memory pack. You'll need to provide your own audio cassette tape player in order to load games

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                              Psst. Gareth....time to upgrade!

On a serious note, why are people 'upgrading' from XP to Vista? What are the avantages other than ensuring that no byte of your PC's memory remains unused?

Comment

Working...
                              X