How can I -ADD- units?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I -ADD- units?

Hello! I'm a new member to the forums and I mainly joined in order to ask about something that's been troubling me for a few days now ;

I'm interested in knowing how to add NEW units into RON and RON T&P ? I'm not looking to make anything fancy for the first time but I've been fiddling around with the basic .xml files for some while now. The first time I tried to create a new unit (basically just clone the CATAPULT unit, change the stats for it and make it constructable from villages and/or towns at an early stage of the game) the game would start with an error of some sorts.

Apparently the number of units defined in unitrules.xml does not comply with NUM_UNITTYPES (don't remember if this was the EXACT value), and thus the game would not start without an error and would eventually crash in-game. I then tried to search EVERY file contained in the RON folders, searching for the NUM_UNITTYPES string within them. The search yielded 0 results.

Is there a way to ADD new unit entries into the .xml files and make things work? I just want to make a new catapult CLONE. It uses all the same old graphic files and help strings than the basic catapult but it just acts differently and doesn't belong to the normal tech-tree.

Can I add new units?
    How?
    If I can't, why not and is there a way to go round this?

Thanks in advance, and please note that I still am, a 100% newbie

Unless you have a deep programming background you can't add units in the manner you are trying to do, BUT, don't give up hope, what you can do is mod a pre-existing unit that is not important. For example look for CTW units, just do a search in unitrules.xml and type CTW, you will see there are alot of them, now I'll use your attempt as an example.

Highlight all info of the cataput EXCEPT the very last line that says TYPENAME, you must not change this, select copy, now go to whatever CTW unit you've chosen, highlight all of it again except for the type name, and paste, I would suggest giving the catapult a unique name (this is the first line that says NAME, not the TYPNAME) as I have found that having two units with the same Name can sometimes cause a crash. Now you can do as you please, upgrade the catapults stats, change which nations have it, what age it's available, where it's built etc, etc. The same will work with other units, just be sure you leave the typename alone. Hope this helps.

Otter
    Last edited by motter28218; January 14, 2009, 15:59. Reason: typo error

Comment

Let me know if this helps

Otter
      Last edited by motter28218; January 13, 2009, 11:09. Reason: Accidentally posted twice

Comment

So TYPENAME is the internal lookup name then?

I've been changing that with no problems (although I suspect it's because I changed all other internal references to that as well...).

But it's a pain in the butt to have to do that, and if TYPENAME can be left as normal, it would prevent me having to hunt for the name across all the other xmls too.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia View Post
          So TYPENAME is the internal lookup name then?

I've been changing that with no problems (although I suspect it's because I changed all other internal references to that as well...).

But it's a pain in the butt to have to do that, and if TYPENAME can be left as normal, it would prevent me having to hunt for the name across all the other xmls too.
          Actually, it's a complicated question, I do know I have had far more crashes when I've changed the typename, however, there are times for example when I've tried to create a new heavy cavalry and I used the Camel Archer slot, I pasted all the H.Cavalry info and left the typename and when I played the game the new unit would appear but it would be in C.Archer X,Y spot when you clicked on the stable, this stayed the same no matter what I changed the x,y of the created unit to, so in creating new units I always try to copy over something that was as similar as possible as the typename has in some cases forced the unit to retain some of the old properties. I try not to change units to much anymore as major unit modding seems to cause crashes no matter how "neat and clean" I try to do it.

Comment

help

hello people i just have one question is there any way i can make the imperial guard playable for french ??? or maybe make it a unique unit of the french please if anyone knows

Comment

Originally posted by mark1416 View Post
              hello people i just have one question is there any way i can make the imperial guard playable for french ??? or maybe make it a unique unit of the french please if anyone knows
              Yes, go to unitrules.xml

Search for Imperial Guard

Go to the section that says WHERE and put Barracks instead of none

Enable the unit for the French in the Tribe Mask (if you don't know how I'll explain further) Hope this helps.

Otter

Comment

thanks ill try that

Comment

motter i did what you said but it didnt work

Comment

Post the section of the Imperial Guards on here. Let's take a look at your xml text.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

ok hope u can help me

Imperial Guard
                      ROYALGUARD
                      DFG
                      lmjiy
                      Barracks
                      1f/1g support
                      7f/6g
                      Enlightenment Age
                      none
                      Arquebusiers
                      Riflemen
                      Musketeers
                      0-10rng
                      25%
                      Land
                      Foot
                      1/10tsx

Royal Guard

Comment

motter i did what you said but it didnt work
                        My fault, you also have to disable Musketeers for the French in the Tribe Mask.

Comment

motter i aprecciate your help but i dont know why it didnt work thanks

Comment

motter i aprecciate your help but i dont know why it didnt work thanks
                            I have attached a copy of unitrules.xml, just paste it over yours, I just played it and it worked.

Otter
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by motter28218; January 25, 2009, 15:20. Reason: New Info

Comment

thanks for your help motter now it works maybe i was doint sumthin wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X