Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seperate patches for Vanilla Civ4 and/or Warlords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperate patches for Vanilla Civ4 and/or Warlords?

Now that 3.13 is out for BtS it appears that this patch does more than just patch BtS.

People with only Civ4 vannila or Warlords have differing file versions that do not allow us to play the same save game files.

For instance:
    1. Someone with only WarLords sends me a Warlords save game.

2. Before I patched to 3.13, even though I had BtS installed. I could load and play the save game.

3. Now since I have patched to 3.13 I get a loading error saying that the assets do not match and thus the game does not load.

So, that brings the question is to what will be done about this? Is there a seperate patch for those with Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords?

Dual or Tripple installs? I surely hope not!

Re: Seperate patches for Vanilla Civ4 and/or Warlords?

Originally posted by BigFree
    Dual or Tripple installs? I surely hope not!
    Amen brother
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Seconded.

Firaxis inventing a new patching policy, summarized in two words as "screw customers!".
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Ya just what is the deal with this anyway?

Does Firaxis have a separate patch out to make vanilla CIV (without BTS) the same as Vanila Civ with BtS 3.13??????????????????
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Big Brother Firaxis is just making sure everyone plays on the most up to date patch. Why, asking the user for permission to install old patches would allow the people far too much ability to ruin their games Firaxis knows best
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

There are not different file versions. The difference is in the "locked assets" that is default in PBEM (if there is an admin password), and is not default in SP.

If it is an SP game I'm not sure how to go about removing the locked assets (probably can't), but this shouldn't affect anything other than competition SP games.

If it is a PBEM game, follow these steps:

1. Open the game in pre-3.13BTS Vanilla/Warlords
            2. Remove the admin password (Shift-alt-D, enter admin password, then clear the password out once the details box shows up).
            3. Save the game.

The game now has no admin password, and can be played on either pre-3.13 or post-3.13 systems without a failure.

This does not apply to BTS games, by the way.

If you need to 'revert' to pre-3.13, do the following:
            1. Move your (vanilla install dir)\assets\civ4coredll.dll file somewhere else (desktop is ok)
            2. Run the 1.74 patch
            3. Now you have pre 3.13. To make it post 3.13 just swap the dll files.

Of course this is not an optimal solution as it would be better to have the same version... hopefully this will be rectified at some point soon. The DLL is the only difference between the pre-3.13 patch Civ4 Vanilla and post.

I would not get on the firaxians so much as on 2kgames - undoubtedly firaxis would publish the dll today, but the 2kgames folks are in charge of publishing things once they're programmed...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Seriously? People who own BtS and get the patch can't play with people who don't own BtS! That's bull.

Seperate patches should have been delievered from the outset for each iteration.

Comment

Working...
              X