No announcement yet.

Mycenaean Chariot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desegregation? You mean they couldn't make black people drive the chariots for them anymore?
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

You know I mean to (dis) aggregation , to tear apart.
      ILLUSTRATION GALLERY at
      http://community.imaginefx.com/fxpos...o/default.aspx

Comment

If one looks at the use the Persians made of chariots, for example at Gaugamela, at least the later chariots were more than batlefield taxis, but rather seem to be used like Elephants as a shock weapon against infantry
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Seems to have been many types of chariots.

In the Iliad, and vs Caesar in Britain, we have the 'taxi', basically a fancy taxi. Elite warriors use them to travel to the battlefield with heavy equipment.

At Kadesh Egypt vs ??? we have the rarely seen 'charging' style of chariot, probably heavy and more shock absorbant??

Also in the bible, the Iron Wheeled chariots that Jehovah has so much trouble with seem the 'charging' type.

The Macedonians and Romans faced a type which seems to have been an evolution of the old charging type, lighter but with big projecting blades, the Scythed chariot. As far as I know it was totally ineffective except against peasant masses?

Interesting, in China there were also chariots at some point but I don't know much about 'em.

The Mahabharata, the Indian national epic famous for its UFOs, also describes a strange type of warfare in which nameless soldiers ride elephants, and aristocrats ride huge numbers of chariots, fighting with the bow, and the bow is esteemed as a 'nobility weapon'. Arjuna, Duryodhana, etc. They fought dismounted only in emergencies with maces. Duels were fought by archers in moving chariots, with drivers. The aristocrats wore very heavy bronze armour similar to that in the Iliad.
          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Many civilizations used the chariot in battle in many different ways: as a mean of transportation, as a shock vehicle or a missile platform.
            As said before, some argue that the Mycenaeans used it as a missile platform and that the warrior was in fact an archer.
            ILLUSTRATION GALLERY at

Comment

Originally posted by JP Vieira
              You know I mean to (dis) aggregation , to tear apart.
              Disintegration would probably have been a better choice.

Comment

I still think if you had 100 standing archers vs 100 chariot riding archers the standing archers would win. It's got to be more difficult to hit a target from a moving chariot, though if you're aiming at a mass of people that might make a difference. The chariot is bigger though. If you hit the horse the horse is likely to become uncontrollable. It would also be more difficult to concentrate the chariot archers to achieve a massed fire effect.

Regarding shock effect I've read a number of sources on military tactics stating that horses could not be used to reliably run down troops in massed formation. The horses perceive the formation as a large solid object and veer away from the formation. OTOH in ancient time troops often fought in loose formations and once they met the enemy dissolved into a mass of individual combats. The Greeks and Romans seem to have been the ones who most understood the numerous benefits of fighting as a unified mass.

Comment

Although the word does not exist, I think that (dis) aggregation translates better what I meant: that these states did not cease to exist, they just suffer some partition (some did cease to exist other like Egypt continue to exist and then made a “comeback).
                  The effectiveness of a charging chariot (or cavalry) has more to do with the morale and discipline of the attacked than that of the attackers: if the infantry does not (psychologically) stand and run away then a chariot (or cavalry) will win.
                  Last edited by JP Vieira; October 20, 2007, 04:24.
                  ILLUSTRATION GALLERY at

Comment

Yep.
                    And if it is disciplined enough, it has good chances to defeat the charge, as you also saw in the medieval period in the successes of the swiss Reisläufer against cavalry charges of knights, thanks to their discipline and phalanx tactice, which (later combined with fire arms) more or less put an end to the cavalry domination on medieval battlefields.
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Many battles were decided on that single factor: the way the defendesr could stand their ground against attacking horsemen
                      ILLUSTRATION GALLERY at

Comment

Egyptian infantry at this time were largely conscripted militia, often armed with nothing but wooden farm tools.

Comment

Working...
                        X