Warfare speeding up tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warfare speeding up tips

Well plaing Civ 4 again - BTS this time around, and...

well it's great, but as I am a megalomaniac I cannot help myself to play on smaller maps, so at the moment I end up scaling down and playing Prince (nice level leaves things interesting enough without too much stress), Large maps, with epic speed...

And it's fun, BTS is great, but since there are many civs and many cities to conquer, I am kind of giving up in the modern ages as I cannot force myself to go and fight for 15+ hours to wipe the others off the map... Last one where they pissed me off enough to go and conquer them I spent 25 hrs! playing... and that is really too much, so now I stop when this late game warfare starts... but as I am not reading here regularly enough, I still use the "old" ways of fighting...

so to as you if there is some useful automation which can speed things up which I am not using (and I surely hope there is).

So what I do is "unit by unit", just stack them up when moving and this is about it.

What I am aware of is only turning the animations off which, and the "quick" fight option where it is more like Civ1... you hit them and off we go...

But what I am really interested in, and did not figure out - is there a way to tell all units when they are produced to go to a specific city before they are done? (like while they are in the production queue) ... or at least once they are built - I just press a button and the Unit knows where to go... best would be if I could give this command to all units of the same type to go to a square/town at once.

Furthermore I am wandering can I fight in a stack so that I just strike once - I know not the best method, as I do not maximixe my unit by unit potential, however when just breaking them down, it would be really useful to just take a whole stack and attack once, and the city is mine (assuming I have enough force off course). So similar idea to the "one unit speedup" that is easily accesible in the menu, but this time stack war speedup...

Any other tips for speeding up unit management and warfare in general. Auto unit updgrades (all at once), is great, but I need the "all at once" ordering capability also.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Re: Warfare speeding up tips

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
    And it's fun, BTS is great, but since there are many civs and many cities to conquer, I am kind of giving up in the modern ages as I cannot force myself to go and fight for 15+ hours to wipe the others off the map... Last one where they pissed me off enough to go and conquer them I spent 25 hrs! playing... and that is really too much,

But what I am really interested in, and did not figure out - is there a way to tell all units when they are produced to go to a specific city before they are done? (like while they are in the production queue) ... or at least once they are built - I just press a button and the Unit knows where to go... best would be if I could give this command to all units of the same type to go to a square/town at once.

Furthermore I am wandering can I fight in a stack so that I just strike once - I know not the best method, as I do not maximixe my unit by unit potential, however when just breaking them down, it would be really useful to just take a whole stack and attack once, and the city is mine (assuming I have enough force off course). So similar idea to the "one unit speedup" that is easily accesible in the menu, but this time stack war speedup...
    Select the city(click on the name of the city on the main map) your develping the units in then hold the Shift + right click on the spot you want you units to go to.(you'll see a large yellow circle appear there. To remove it later just select the city again then Shift +Right click on the city itself.

Stack option is in the main options menu.

Not too many uses for "Stack Fighting" myself since it gets rid of the whole idea of having promotions by simply throwing "ALL" you units into the fray. I have tried this option and I lose most of my units including highly promoted ones against anything except the weakend opponents.(just not worth it since the time saved fighting means I just have to take a lot more time to build more units to fight with)

Comment

Thanks!

Just to say I finished another one in the meantime, (using your tips) and only 12 hrs to victory ... it was a bit easier victory so I guess it played part in cutting the time, but the fact that all the units appeared roughly where I wanted them was brilliant!" & thanks :bow:

+ I have no idea how I missed the stack fighting checkbox... as I looked over them at least 10 times

didn't use that one a lot, apart from in the ending stages, when all was already decided to speed up the end game a bit...

btw, now I need a link to all the shortcuts, to see if there is anything else handy that I didn't think of and am not using right now...
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Glad to help!

I'm afraid I don't see any thread for keyboard shortcuts here? Maybe someone else will have that. I use an old version from the google search:
        119 Keyboard Shortcuts for Civilization 4 at keyxl.com. The internet's online database for keyboard shortcuts.

Comment

thanks!

in the bookmarks now

Comment

Working...
          X