Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm sorry honey, our marriage expired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sorry honey, our marriage expired...

Get all of the latest news from The Scotsman. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.

Politician's cure for seven-year itch is to put marriage on time limit

ALLAN HALL AND SHÂN ROSS (sross@scotsman.com)

A CONTROVERSIAL politician has shocked Germany by suggesting the so-called "seven-year itch" could be dealt with by limiting marriage contracts to that period.

Twice-divorced Gabriele Pauli, who is attempting to become leader of the ultra-conservative Christian Social Union (CSU), believes anyone wanting to stay married beyond seven years should have to apply for an extension. The partnership would otherwise be automatically dissolved.

The 50-year-old maverick last year rattled the all-white and male-dominated hierarchy of her party, which rules the Catholic southern state of Bavaria, by posing for magazine photographs dressed as a dominatrix in latex and leather.

Speaking at the launch of her manifesto, she said: "I firmly believe marriages of the future should be locked in to a time period.

"The basic approach is wrong ...many marriages last just because people believe they are safe. My suggestion is that marriages expire after seven years. I know that after this period many marriages reach a crisis point.

"It is false to go around with a notion that marriages are always super and intact."

The CSU has dominated Bavarian politics since the Second World War. It is the sister party of the conservative Christian Democratic Union - which is led by Angela Merkel, the German chancellor.

Ms Pauli's first marriage lasted 11 years and the second six years - before ending in divorce in February.

She said: "A contract for seven years means you will have to commit for a fixed period and you will have to renew your vows should you want to carry on."

But Phillip Hodson, fellow of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, last night insisted that marriage should not be a "throwaway commodity" - particularly when children are involved.

He said: "We do need a revised policy on marriage because it is Faustian and out-of-date. It is based on the premise that you will be the same person for the rest of your life.

"However, we need to teach marriage, so that people understand what is involved. I would say that the needs of children come first, but if a couple don't have children, the marriage should be more easily dissolved."

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic Church in Scotland, said: "As far as the Catholic Church is concerned, marriage should be for life, and we are highly unlikely to be influenced by a Bavarian politician.

"Scotland has a huge 'divorce industry' of lawyers helping couples to split the spoils, when what we should have is increased funding for reconciliation services."

Observers say Ms Pauli stands almost no chance of winning next week's vote for the CSU's leadership.

One of her rivals for the post is Horst Seehofer, the country's consumer minister.

But the married 58-year-old father of three's popularity has suffered from the disclosure that he has been having an affair with a younger woman who recently had his baby.

Peter Ramsauer, head of the CSU in Germany's parliament, last night distanced the party from Ms Pauli's comments. He compared her suggestion to "the dirt under your fingernails".

THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH

THE phrase "seven-year itch" refers to the extreme ennui sometimes suffered by partners in a marriage.

It became a catchphrase following the success of the 1955 film of the same name starring Marilyn Monroe.

Based on a play written by George Axelrod, the plot centres on a married man left alone in his apartment while his wife and son are on holiday in Maine.

He is meant to review a book on the "seven-year itch", but instead invites his 22-year-old female neighbour upstairs for a drink. But fear that his wife could have an affair with a young lifeguard thwarts his desire.
    Last edited by Sirotnikov; September 22, 2007, 15:26.

So you'll have a lot of seven year olds with one parent, brillliant

Comment

Germany wants to become America?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm wondering if she hasn't blundered into the right solution for the wrong reason.

"The basic approach is wrong ...many marriages last just because people believe they are safe."
        Wouldn't having expiring yet renewable vows keep married people on their toes because they are not safe. If they're with someone they really love, they'll be on their best behavior, hoping their option will be renewed.

A popular LA radio talk-jockey used to say: "If men behaved during marriage they way they do during courtship, there'd be a lot fewer divorces and a lot more bankruptcies."

Comment

I have never seen a girl and said, man I'd love to wake up with her every day until I die. Ew! After like 10 years she farts and *****es every day I would think.

Comment

I do think that when couples have to rethink, they would really try and get the romance flowing again, and this could potentially rejuvenate many marriages that could be 'dead' emotionally.

People who would continue beyond, would be really serious then.

Comment

Yes, let's combat idiocy by institutionalizing it!
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Well marriages were created back when people lived 20-30 years on average, so in practice they didn't last much longer than 10 years.

Perhaps humans aren't biologically set up to have long marriages. But perhaps they are. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                  Yes, let's combat idiocy by institutionalizing it!
                  We already have. It's called "Congress."

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    Germany wants to become America?
                    7 years is a bit long for here.

Comment

How hard is it to just not get married in the first place?

Comment

Or to divorce

Comment

What a serious proposal. What a serious politician.

"Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

I thought it was a great idea - my wife informed me it was not...........

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Have we anybody in Rome that can check if the Vatican are still standing ?
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X