Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments on PBEM 15: Strange New World

A few comments.

PBEM 15 is moving right along. Sorry for the delay in posting.

First, the SMAniaC mod is GREAT FUN since it allows so many new strategies (pure GREEN is now viable), tweaks the tech tree to make each line valuable (no dead ends), moves around the SPs a bit, re-orders the tech tree, changes the SMAC and SMAX factions a bit, and has a whole new SE. In many ways it is a new game.

Second, many of the old exploits don't work anymore. Pop booming is a bit more difficult, as is Rover Rush. Choppers now have a move of 5 (!!), and needles are WAY down the tech tree.

Third, the AI is more competitive. I'm not sure all of what was done, but a few items stand out. First, they have AI units - good formers, probe foils, etc. The AI uses them, too! In my current game there is an armada of 9 (!!) AI probe foils lurking out there - woe to the human player that gets sloppy in probe defense. Terraforming is vastly improved. The AI builds forests, and the Farm+Mine that so cripples the AI has been scuppered since mining arrives later in the game.

Factions work differently. For instance, the Hive can pop boom as easily as anyone (ack!), as can Morgan. The Gaians are max size 4, but get free Tree Farms with Eco Engineering. Uni can't run Green (not sure why) since that is their aversion - this may be an error.

Lastly, the new factions are interesting. I've played some but not all. Most are worth a look, too.

Cheers!
    Hydro

Re: Comments on PBEM 15: Strange New World

Originally posted by Hydro
    Second, many of the old exploits don't work anymore. Pop booming is a bit more difficult, as is Rover Rush.
    Really re rover rush? My intention was atcually to make early conquest (and thus playing a momentum faction) a little easier.

Uni can't run Green (not sure why) since that is their aversion - this may be an error.
    I presume I did so to give the University a meaningful penalty. Aversion to Empath rulig elite isn't so much.

Let the Gaians preach their silly religion, but one way or the other
    I shall see this compound burned, seared, and sterilized until every
    hiding place is found and until every last Mind Worm egg, every last
    slimy one, has been cooked to a smoking husk. That species shall be
    exterminated, I tell you! Exterminated!
    ^
    ^ -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,
    ^ Lab Three aftermath

Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Working...
    X