Incomptence is beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incomptence is beautiful

... because it's so pure, like hate, love and other kinds of things.

I'm not telling a lie when I say that I'm freaking pissed off by a meeting I had to attend today. It was such a big pile of BS. Usually I don't mind, because well, I'm getting paid so if this is how you want to use my time, sure, whatever.

Basically I have to go to these weekly meetings about the work I do. But it's not quite so simple, it involves other researchers as well, it's like a big cluster of researchers, so we meet as a group, because we're doing our individual stuff for this bigger project.

Now, usually they're quite boring. But today it got to a point where I couldn't say anything, I was full of anger because it was such BS that ... why do we do this? I don't get it. If this was... how much do you love to just sit and talk about coffee and scheduling a coffee break that has already been scheduled. "Is that coffee break OK? Should we have it 9AM or 9.30AM?", and this **** is for like something that happens in few months. Who CARES?!? Apparently a lot of people did. And the structure for that day has already been scheduled like two months ago, everyone has accepted it already, so ... it's not about that either.

I mean I go there 5 minutes early. Only two people besides me. We wait for 20 minutes, that's 15 past the agreed time, and few other people join. We fully start 30 minutes late, because well, you can't have people arriving on time. It's such BS, you think if I working for a company and had everyone waiting for 30 minutes and said "oops", that would magically make it OK? The least you can do is apologize for making many people sit for 30 minutes, time they could be eating, doing their work or whatever.

SO anyway, so they start it like 20 past anyway, since we can't wait forever. So as the last people arrive, we start all over again. So they can also enter the debate about the coffee break. WHAT THE **** IS THIS ****!!!!?

My face looks like I'm just not caring at all about the meeting or the people in it. I don't even want to hide it. I'm like "you think I'm loathing you? Good. I want you to know that. This **** is ridiculous."

So the next item on the list, well it wasn't but the next topic anyway was about some damn event taking place next year, like a year away from this day. Why is this interesting? Are we going to reserve some places, are we going to invite people now, are we going to see people who will be responsible for stuff? No? Oh, we're just talking about different vacation spots, and the trees in the other one because the trees in there were nice, but oh the other places has a big rock. Plus it's only like an hour drive away from this one other place (everything is an hour drive away in here). Ooh what about that nice place in Richtenasteinmeinstein that one of us went 4 years ago, they had a fireplace in this house. Wow, how interesting.

And this goes on and on. I'm truly ****ing angry. I'm raging inside. I'm just trying not to say anything really nasty and rude. I'd like to tell everyone that next time you want to waste my time for a good hour and a half for ****ing nothing, let me know in advance, because this **** has always sucked, but now it's sank to levels that can be described as the pure absolute of incompetence.

I was amazed at this ****. At some point I was thinking this must be candid camera thing, I mean they must be joking. This is some kind of an inside joke. At the end we laugh at it, because that would be absolutely hilarious. Kind of like writing Bible and on the last page state that "oh, just kidding!". Like a long time wasting joke.

No decisions was made. No items that requires decisions was brought up. Nothing that remotely resembles an item was seen in this meeting. It was absolutely mind blowing what happened there with all the non-talk. If I had been in any kind of position of power, I would have stood up and said within the first 5 minutes the real time started that we'll start NOW. After 15 minutes of that **** I would have said what is this ****? What are we doing here? If nothing else, let's get the **** out. Now.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

oh and it's not a social kind of meeting. It's professional and everyone has the schedule themselves to get there, since everyone is from different departments, institutions etc.

It's NOT a social gathering and it's mandatory, you have to attend it.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Welcome to Dilbert-land
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Dude, Dilbert's world is productive compared to this one. I mean this was so useless that words can not describe it. If it takes you 30 minutes to start, then start again, and an hour to not talk about any items, I guess that's pretty useless. I repeat, these are not social gatherings and we all have things to do!

We didn't even talk about talking about working. That's how bad it was.
        In da butt.

Comment

wow what a waste of time. that would anger me a lot too.

Comment

Doesn't seem unusual to me.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yet, you are paid to do it, so try to calm down just a little. I suppose I'd be mad if it was making me late for a project however, or making me work overtime and I was salary (or had somewhere to be after work).
              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

yeah I know. It's like.. my time is often wasted and I waste it myself as well. If I'm getting paid by the hour, you know... who cares.

But somehow this was so disgusting at its idiocy that it blew me away. Besides, I have things to do, I have lots of work to do. I'm not home after 8 hours of work. And now I'll be home almost 2 hours later than usually, just because we had to do this **** once again, except it was even crappier this time so I got very angry.

I've been to pointless meetings. I do them on a weekly basis. But this was something else... and I've refused to go to any meetings unless it is absolutely essential that I be there. This one is mandatory so I can't refuse this, because this project pays my salary so... can't just leave it.
                In da butt.

Comment

"The Colour of the Barn Door" problem.

Comment

meetings are the reason we, as humans, will never reach our full potential

did they e-mail out meeting minutes afterward?

I say coffee break at 9:30, invite people 6 months from the set date, and go to the place with the big rock.

When I'm in worthless meetings that aren't going anywhere I tend to mention it. If you feel the meeting isn't progressing I would say so, and I would bring up to the meeting organizer offline. I was once in a meeting with a vendor and the manufacturing supervisor and the head engineer (my boss) were debating machine specs! I was annoyed, that was something that didn't involve the vendor and was wasting his time making us look very unprofessional. I mentioned it, the vendor was pleased, and we moved on. Afterward I got a pat on the back and the way meetings were held changed from that day on.

If you don't like something make it known. If they say that's just how it is, then you will need to take in a sudoku puzzle or something.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher, dude, this meeting is regular, so it wasn't like people didn't know when it starts.

About the things uttered in the meeting, yeah, it could have been over in 5 minutes.

Unfortunately, there's no way to get out, it's mandatory. As in, "you'll be here because that's what we pay you for". This has been made very clear.

Fortunately that was also my last meeting. Screw them.
                      In da butt.

Comment

I don't understand what's so great about incontinence.
                        Blah

Comment

Wireless and laptops have made meetings a lot easier...

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

"Can we stop having meetings and actually do some work please?"
                            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Too many pointless meetings is one of the things that drove me to get a new job.

I am on day 3 of that new job now!
                              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Working...
                              X