House painting question / legal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House painting question / legal question

I put a third coat of paint on a house today, the first two coats had three days of drying prior to today. Five hours after finishing the third coat it started to rain, and it's rained for a solid 6 hours until now.

The paint was latex, will it be a mess in the morning or ok?

If it's a mess, as the contractor, am I at fault or is it an 'act of god'?

How would you handle it?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

wait and see... if it's a mess then it's really up to you I guess. As the customer I also wouldn't want to be held responsible for acts of God. I would probably call a couple of local painters and find out what they do when this happens, as it's probably I general occurrance in the Northwest.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I think it will likely be ok, I haven't heard anything yet.

Comment

Is there are written contract. If so, does it mention what happens in case of rain?

I have to be honest. I'd love to be able to sue the idiot who last painted the inside of my "library" at home. It's a horrible job! Unfortunately, he is me.

Comment

You took a painting job and didn't know about the paint you were using?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No. He didn't know that it was going to rain.

Comment

Surely, he should know how his paint would behave in the rain.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

After 5 hours, latex should be okay. Not knowing the product you, as a professional painter, are applying is not okay.

Further...most painters make their living on recomendations. Should the paint application be poor and you use the "act of God" excuse to not redue the final coat, then don't expect your business to be booming any time soon.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                  Should the paint application be poor and you use the "act of God" excuse to not redue the final coat, then don't expect your business to be booming any time soon.
                  You might even have to leave the country.

Comment

I do know the product. It's friggin latex paint However, who knows how it would behave after 5 hrs?

The guy was super happy with the job I did. Besides, I painted his entire small home three coats in three days and the labor for all this only cost him $375. He's kinda poor so I gave him a $ break and worked without taking any breaks. As to the paint, well he supplied that.

Word of mouth.

Comment

Five hours seems like a long time to me. I should think it will be OK.

Why not call by and say you would like to check the finish? That puts the initiative in your hands if the rain did any damage. And it won't do your reputation any harm either.

Comment

Unless you really globbed it on. 5 hours should be enough.

And yes, call over and ask to take a look at it.
                        It will be worth the good will.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                        X