Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond the Sword doesn't load

Hey guys,

I have a problem with loading Beyond the Sword. I had it as well with vanilla Civ4 but Warlords loaded just fine.

I insert the dvd, press play, it shows the loading screen with differents languages, but then it doesn't go to the real loading screen with the bar. However I get a small error screen (the one Windows XP shows so you can send the error report) and it only says the game "has encountered a problem and needs to close."
    Oh... and they are very sorry for the inconvenience.... Yay!

Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to fix it? I bought the game yesterday and haven't been able to play it yet...
    I'd really appreciate your input, thanks!

Did you update the directx?

And where did you find the game?

Best regards,

Comment

Yes, all drivers are up to date. The game is already being sold in Europe. Bought it at a FNAC store, it's a european chainstore.

Comment

I have the same problem with a perfectly legal game purchased at BestBuy in the US. I've updated all my drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled both cIV and Warlords and completely patched them (which BtS does anyway as part of its install) and when BtS tries to play I get the same error message. This is on my laptop. My son's less powerful desktop computer runs BtS fine. So as long as he's at work and until he goes back to college I can sneak in some play.
        The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Yeah, I did exactly the same! Even installed vanilla Civ4 then patched it, installed Warlords and patched it and finally installed BtS so it didn't need to do any patching! Argh...... I can't believe I bought the exansion and it's sitting here... useless.

I could try it on another computer, but that would only frustrate me, I wouldn't be doing much gaming on any other pc.

Comment

I had this same problem. I needed to update my DVD drive's drivers. Now it starts fine.

What model is the computer, pedrosfm and patcon?

Go to the device manager (Start--Control Panel---System--Hardware--Device manager) and find your CD or DVD drive and let me know what it is. Odds are, updating the drivers for that drive will fix this problem. They are most easily available from your computer makers' site..
            Last edited by Wiglaf; August 4, 2007, 19:52.

Comment

It's a P4 1.5 GHz, 768 RAM, Geforce 6800 and it has a LG combo drive that is a DVD player and CD-RW in one. The model is GCC-4120B and the driver dates from the 1st of July 2001 I think...

Problem is, I've searched for a more recent driver and there's none! Not even in LG's own website. I'm screwed then...

The PC was custom made, it doesn't have a specific brand like Dell or whatnot.

Comment

try http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/drivers/114/114246.htm

Comment

more complete list of LG drivers:http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/companies/591.htm

Comment

I've never been able to run games via DVD. I always get asked to insert the correct CD instead of DVD. Maybe I don't have the correct driver or something. I use fixed exe. files (I would use them anyway).

I encountered a problem (with Warlords) where all I received was an error message. Reinstalling Civ IV, updating to latest patch (which came with Warlords) and then installing Warlords fixed the problem. Maybe something similar is required with Beyond the Sword.
                    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

YES!!! I am now playing Beyond the Sword and it rocks!
                      Managed to update my DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive through a rather complicated process, but it's finally working!

Thanks for the help everyone, specially Wiglaf. Play on!

Comment

good to hear. did you use those sites or something else?

Comment

HP pavilion notebook running Windows XP with a DVD/CD-ROM Light-Scribe drive. The drive is model HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GSA-4084N with a driver date of 7/1/2001. I found updated drivers for a 4082, but not a 4084. I have a help request in at LG, so I'll just have to wait and see.
                          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Try entering the full product number here http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html and looking around there.

Comment

LG HL-DT-ST GSA-4084N
                              Auto Reset and RPC1 Firmwares based on
                              KQ09.

Dunno what that is, exactly, but it might be a useful firmware download.
                              Last edited by Wiglaf; August 4, 2007, 22:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X