Overview of new map types (BtS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overview of new map types (BtS)

Can anyone please write an overview of the new map types you can select when starting a custom game? Some are quite self explaining (or maybe that have some features you can't read from the name?) while others I'm wondering about.

*Big and small - One big continent with islands around it
    *Medium and small - One medium continent with islands around it
    *Donut - I would assume shape like a donut, but it's that it, e.g. like a ring (think that's already in there)

Of course, I can always try each map type, but as I don't have much time, I don't want to get stuck with a map I don't like at all.

I'm just playing a game on Donut, and quite enjoying it.
    It's basically a perfectly circlular landmass, with the center being the terrain you choose.
    I chose peaks, so the central 20-30 tiles (on a small map) are ALL peaks. makes things very interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyD
      I'm just playing a game on Donut, and quite enjoying it.
      It's basically a perfectly circlular landmass, with the center being the terrain you choose.
      I chose peaks, so the central 20-30 tiles (on a small map) are ALL peaks. makes things very interesting!
      Cool! I thought it was only an other ring world. Where are the vulcanoes?

Comment

Big and Small is very nice, on my current game it made two large continents.. One being a normal landmass, the other slightly snaky. Both continents were surrounded (and seperated) by small 1-5 tile islands. It makes a very good looking map =)
        ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Re: Overview of new map types (BtS)

Originally posted by MoonWolf
          *Medium and small - One medium continent with islands around it
          Those can be more than one continent. I'm playing a Standard-size 7-Civ map, and Medium and Small typically has two medium-sized continents while Big and Small has all Civs starting on one big continent (or possibly 5-6 on a major continent and 1-2 on a smaller one).

Comment

I have found out that most of the continents on 'big and small' and 'med and small' end up being really snakey and I usually have more than one continent. It makes for interesting game play when you decide to cut off your neighbors from expanding, which would then lead to an easier domination victory. I think it's pretty cool. I haven't played donut much, but it's a creative idea as well.
            In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

I expected donut to be a donut-shaped earth, where the map loops not only east-to-west, but also north-to-south.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by ghen
                Big and Small is very nice, on my current game it made two large continents.. One being a normal landmass, the other slightly snaky. Both continents were surrounded (and seperated) by small 1-5 tile islands. It makes a very good looking map =)
                screenies?
                USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                The video may avatar is from

Comment

I've tried Big and Small. Provided a map whose coasts my initial workboat could uncover all by itself.
                  Ugliest map I ever got, though it can make for interesting games, it's definitely not realistic and not for me.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                    I expected donut to be a donut-shaped earth, where the map loops not only east-to-west, but also north-to-south.
                    You can select "toroidal" in the custom game for any map type. That gets you north to south and east to west flows. You can also select "flat earth" and get no flows from the edges at all. Depends on your belief systems, I guess.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

The reason these new map scripts are so great is that now the AI can play on them. It understands the importance of navy and has no problems taking island cities or coastal cities. It should probably raze more often, but what's there is a huge improvement that makes these maps playable.

Comment

Originally posted by Will9

screenies?
                        when I get home =)
                        ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by MoonWolf
                          Not necessarily. I've seen as many as 3 continents in one of my games. They just tend to be much bigger than the island masses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                            I have found out that most of the continents on 'big and small' and 'med and small' end up being really snakey and I usually have more than one continent. It makes for interesting game play when you decide to cut off your neighbors from expanding, which would then lead to an easier domination victory.
                            There can be a downside to that though. I had one map were I started out on a narrow peninsula and quickly found a single Mountain blocking my way to the rest of the land mass. I only had enough room for 3 or 4 cities. I didn't even bother playing that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

There can be a downside to that though. I had one map were I started out on a narrow peninsula and quickly found a single Mountain blocking my way to the rest of the land mass. I only had enough room for 3 or 4 cities. I didn't even bother playing that game.
                              You are right, that would make for a difficult game. However, I do enjoy the diversity that the map offers. I can see the potential for a whole new level of difficulty.
                              In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X