Corporations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporations

Just so it's clear in my head. I'm a casual Civver, despite playing every version of Civ, so I can't have something that I'm not too sure about.

In my first game of BtS, I was kicking ass way better than usual, had more GP than I knew what to do with. I had read that you needed GP to found corporations, so I decided to stockpile a few. When I got the techs (after consulting the Civlopedia a few times), I founded Sid's Sushi Co., Mining Inc. and Civilized Jewelers. Afterwards, I noticed that I was losing waaaaaay more gold than before, from just about breaking even to -234 per turn. I did spread each corporation around a bit to my cities, as that's what I thought you had to do. I know now it's not, so I have a few questions...

We'll use Civilized Jewelers as an example (gold, silver or gems, +1 gold, +3 culture per required resource)

1. Does this benefit only happen in cities that have the resource within their fat cross? Is it useless to spread it to a city that does not have any of these resources within its radius?

2. Is there a set formula for the maintenance? Is it like city maintenance, so the more you have (or the further it spreads), the higher it is?

3. If you spread the corporation to another civ, do they have to pay the maintenance or you?

4. Do other civs like you if you spread a corporation to them, or do they not give a monkeys?

5. Is it really worth a GP? I know we're in the early stages of the game, but my first impression is that it's a bit of a waste. Then again, I am a useless player...
    Random signature generator - Press Ctrl & W to see more!

The benefit comes from the resources in the city box, so anything the city is connected to. Most cities will have access to every resource you have (if they're connected).

There is a set formula for maintenance, yes. I think it is per city with the corp linearly, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

I don't think AI will accept corporations from you. You can't spread it yourself, you have to gift the executive, and the AI will not accept it or won't use it, iirc.

Corporations are very much worth it. You have to be careful - found the corp in your wallstreet city where you can get 200% more revenue. You can make a lot that way (plus the natural benefits of course).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have not played a standard game yet - to busy with mods.

But from reading other posts, here and at CFC.

This is my grasp of corporations.

Corporations cost you a lot of money. Do not found them just because you can.

Found one if you do not have the resource it provides - oil etc.

If you do found one - do it in a city with wall street and all commerce producing buildings. For the extra cash you get.

Only spread corporate offices to the cities that need the benefit the corporation gives, because each spread costs money.

So if the benefit is hammers, no point spreading it to a hammer rich city. etc.

No idea how easy it is to spread to other civs - guess you need open borders, but which city you choose - no idea, yet.

As I said at the start not played the base game yet, so can not comment from experience (or lack off - )
      "What if somebody gave a war and nobody came?" Allen Ginsberg

"Opinions are like arses, everyone has one." Anon

Comment

The problem is inflation costs you much more in BTS (200+% at the end of the game compared to 100% at the end before). This means if it says -15 gold, you could really end up losing up 45 from one city.
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Is there some information somewhere that explains how the corporations work? I've built the Mining Inc. and nothing in the civilopedia or manual regarding this corporation is correct.

The manual says "+1 gold per required resource available". This is not what happens. This corp give bonus hammers. But I can't figure out what the formula is.

I saw that I did not have access to the gold resource (which this corporation consumes). So I traded away one of my coal to another civ for access to gold, and what happenned is that that hammer bonus that the corporation gives me went down ???

So does anyone know how these things really work. This isn't making much sense to me.
          In a minute there is time
          For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
          - T. S. Eliot

Comment

You get a bonus for EACH copy of a resource, so coal=gold if they're both consumed by it (iirc they are). You may have lost power to your factories by losing coal.

Comment

This post was updated for the BtS 3.13 patch and subsequently reposted/moved to here.
              USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
              The video may avatar is from

Comment

I don't think AI will accept corporations from you. You can't spread it yourself, you have to gift the executive, and the AI will not accept it or won't use it, iirc.
                I think you misunderstood morissey's question. AI is forced to accept corporate branches your executives set up in its borders, assuming it does not have mercantilism or state property. at this point, the AI pays for each branch you set up per turn. You pay a lump sum out of pocket for each branch you set up in their territory.

however, you cannot force AI to found a corporation, only to accept it when you spread it to them.

Comment

Hmm, I didn't think you could spread corporations to the AI. I must be wrong.

Comment

4. Do other civs like you if you spread a corporation to them, or do they not give a monkeys?
                    Don't think they care.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      Hmm, I didn't think you could spread corporations to the AI. I must be wrong.
                      Yep. If you have money to spend on setting up a bunch of foreign branches, it's a good way to bankrupt them if they aren't running merc or state property.

of course, sometimes they do it to you..

Comment

Snoopy: what you say does not make sense unless the manual, civilopedia, and in-game pop-up information are all wrong.

The manual says this corporation requires: coal, iron, copper, gold, gems, or silver.

Why then does having coal in the city increase the bonus that the corporation provides yet having gold in the city does not increase the bonus that the corporation provides?
                        - T. S. Eliot

Comment

I saw that I did not have access to the gold resource (which this corporation consumes). So I traded away one of my coal to another civ for access to gold, and what happenned is that that hammer bonus that the corporation gives me went down ???
                          Mining inc provides gold, not hammers (creative constructions in the one that provides hammers). [edit: nevermind, both provide hammers]

Mining Inc consumes gold and/or coal, among other things. By trading your coal, you lose any power it provides. So what snoopy is saying seems to be plausible.
                          Last edited by Wiglaf; July 29, 2007, 00:34.

Comment

The manual and civilopedia say that Mining company provides gold, but it does not provide gold. I've built it. Every city I put my executive in gets bonus hammers.
                            - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Also, the reason what snoopy says is not plausible, is because I traded away 1 coal for 1 gold. If the corporation gets its benefits form both coal and gold, like the in-game information claims it does, then there should have been no change in the bonus that the corporate office provided. I lost 1 unit of one resource that it requires and gained 1 unit of one resource that it requires. Which adds up to no change in the number of resources that it requires. Yet the benefit went down.
                              - T. S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
                              X