Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond The Sword : autopatches civ4-vanilla

Hello,

I just installed civ4-Beyond The Sword. During BTS installation, civ4-vanilla is automatically patched to version 1.74 (you are not even asked if it's OK). Just as a test, I tried to load our latest midturn savegame, but it failed.

So, uhm, well, I guess I'll have to deinstall everything, reinstall civ4, patch to 1.61, copy the directory, then install BTS.

Only problem is, to open C4DG saves, we'll have to manually start civ from the 1.61 directory, and load the games from the in-game explorer.

Just a warning to other players....
    no sig

Well, I guess that answers my question about getting BTS then. I don't have enough space for a dual install, and if the new version won't load the save there's no point in upgrading.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Indeed, if this stuff cannot be averted somehow I guess that makes the person who managed the release files so much less intelligent in my eyes.
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Just do a dual install - if you can. So install BTS and auto-patch vanilla, and then reinstall Civ4 Vanilla and use a different folder.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yes, "just".

Or "just" have Firaxis hire a person who knows how to manage releases..
          That's trouble for one person instead of thousands.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I believe they made the Vanilla and Warlords patches available for download separately through the ingame "Update" menu. I guess to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
            I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Right, everyone can upgrade, but apparantly the upgraded version is not compatible with our saves. Thus the demogame cannot upgrade to version whatever, so we'ld all have to dual-install.

That's not an option for me since my wife discovered her ipod and her new digital camera that can also take videos.
              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Sorry, but even with that directx upgrade (that I didn't get to
                install yet) is it not compatible?

Best regards,

Comment

It is possible that I can 'make' the saves compatible once more. I am going to look into that in a bit. Apparently it's not a true incompatibility but just an admin password lock (modify changes, essentially); if I load it and de-admin password it, I may be able to fix it to work in 1.74.

I can't do that today though, but I will when I have a chance.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

The directx upgrade is unrelated to this, that impacts your physically starting up the game while this impacts your loading of the save.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Beyond The Sword : autopatches civ4-vanilla

Originally posted by PJayTycy
                      Only problem is, to open C4DG saves, we'll have to manually start civ from the 1.61 directory, and load the games from the in-game explorer.
                      Yeah, that would be a pain. Hopefully it can be upgraded though.

Thanks for looking into it Snoopy, I hope you succed. In the meantime, I guess I'll download the patch in case it works...

Comment

But, what about the gameplay changes ? Wouldn't it be better to keep playing 1.61 ?
                        no sig

Comment

Cant this transfer corrupt save so that it becomes unplayable at some point in future?

Comment

Any game play changes (which I doubt their are) would be applied to all team and thus would be considered fair. The advantage of not having to dual install to play should and the greater speed of play, ease of play and interest in playing should far out weight any minor changes that were made.
                            Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Btw

Got the patches and Directx update to work at last. When you find it,

It is the directx_ jun2007-redist.exe that works. It is the 55MB size one.

I saved it to Window system directory and then went there and found DXSETUP.exe. and clicked.

Forget about April2007.
                              On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Working...
                              X