Get "Gold" Before "BtS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get "Gold" Before "BtS"

Civilization IV: Gold Edition will arrive on July 17th in North America, a full week before the availability of the Beyond the Sword expansion hits store shelves and starts shipping in that continent. It contains CivIV and its manual, the first expansion Warlords, and the following three bonus items:

• Exclusive fantasy-style poster from world-famous artist Greg Hildebrandt
  • Behind-the-scenes DVD with developer interviews, insight into the CivIV development process and a short feature on Sid Meier's video game history
  • Tech-tree poster featuring the paths to researching and discovering all of the technologies needed to advance in CivIV

It has not yet been disclosed by CivIV publisher Take-Two Interactive, which publishes the title and its expansion under its 2K Games label, when C4G will be available elsewhere in the world.
PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
>> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

If we already have Civ4, why would we need "CivIV and its manual"?

Unless it's cheaper to get this package, including Warlords, than it is to buy Warlords alone

Wait, aren't the Warlords improvements supposedly included in BTS, which comes out a week later?

Colour me confused.
    "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
    "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I don't see why you should be confused, I think you got it about right. Civ4 Gold seems to be following the same pattern as Civ3 Gold.

I'm sure it's a nice deal for anyone who doesn't have vanilla Civ4, but it does look to me like everyone else should just get BtS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep
        I don't see why you should be confused, I think you got it about right. Civ4 Gold seems to be following the same pattern as Civ3 Gold.

I'm sure it's a nice deal for anyone who doesn't have vanilla Civ4, but it does look to me like everyone else should just get BtS.
        I'm not confused, just a confused colour

Maybe there are some people who don't already have Civ4 hanging out here in the Civ4 forum, who might be interested.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

There are some additional extras and such. Still, I own vanilla Civ IV as well as Warlords and I don't really think the extras are all that special.

I really think this is a good deal for folks who never played Civ but find the expansion BtS appealing and want to give it a shot, but I would have assumed it woul be better say next summer, to release Civ IV gold with BOTH expansion and goodies to generate more sales AFTER the expansions have been out for a year?

EDIT: I'm just confused, this is going for $50 on ebgames.com and amazon.com, isn't that a little steep if they point is to drum up sales for BtS?
          Last edited by BleedTheFreak; July 13, 2007, 09:42.

Comment

This product isn't for us, it's for new people who don't have CIV already.

By re-releasing it, they get primo shelf space again (instead of on the discount racks). Plus, the packaging will now have a lot of splashy marketing saying gold edition, game of the year, all that stuff.

The timing on this is so that it's out there when BtS hits. Otherwise, smaller stores wouldn't still have inventory of CIV and that would decrease sales of BtS (people would say, "oh, I need the base set too... hey they don't have any... oh well, I'll buy something else instead".

Wodan

Comment

why bother for most of us

For those who already have this game and perhaps the Warlords Exp. I suggest waiting until they come out soon with the Special collectors zip-zam-zooey- and swoosh edition that has everything in it including the BTS and a colorful chart of tech to read during your breaktimes at work
              Civin' is the only life, the only life for me now civ.. civ.. with me ba bippity...

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
                This product isn't for us, it's for new people who don't have CIV already.

By re-releasing it, they get primo shelf space again (instead of on the discount racks). Plus, the packaging will now have a lot of splashy marketing saying gold edition, game of the year, all that stuff.

The timing on this is so that it's out there when BtS hits. Otherwise, smaller stores wouldn't still have inventory of CIV and that would decrease sales of BtS (people would say, "oh, I need the base set too... hey they don't have any... oh well, I'll buy something else instead".

Wodan
                The shelf-space issue (and getting space on the new release shelf presumably RIGHT NEXT TO BtS) is one that I hadn't thought of, and that makes perfect sense. It's also why I'm not in marketing!!

Comment

Hmm, that's pretty irritating.

Comment

Nah, getting the Civ Chronicles box and then BtS sounds MUCH better. The only worries would be if for some reason the Warlords adjustments weren't in BtS, and I'd be mildly annoyed if the tech tree with Gold had the Warlords additions and changes, and BtS didn't have its own tech tree included.
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Hmm, that's pretty irritating.
                      Er, why do you care if they re-release Civ?

Comment

Because for some reason I thought BtS was in Gold. Reading through again I can't imagine why.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedTheFreak
                          EDIT: I'm just confused, this is going for $50 on ebgames.com and amazon.com, isn't that a little steep if they point is to drum up sales for BtS?
                          As wodan11 says, it's really only for people who don't have Civ4.

Originally posted by BleedTheFreak
                          but I would have assumed it woul be better say next summer, to release Civ IV gold with BOTH expansion and goodies to generate more sales AFTER the expansions have been out for a year?
                          Don't worry, I'm sure they'll release Civ4 Complete eventually. (That would certainly follow the path they took with Civ3.)

Comment

It also appeals to people who want to get their friends or family some Civ as a gift. The real motivation being to drum up new human opponents for multiplayer, of course
                            O'Neill: I'm telling you Teal'c, if we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it.

Lose it. It means, Go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WACKO!

Comment

Re: why bother for most of us

Originally posted by Simply-Doug
                              For those who already have this game and perhaps the Warlords Exp. I suggest waiting until they come out soon with the Special collectors zip-zam-zooey- and swoosh edition that has everything in it including the BTS and a colorful chart of tech to read during your breaktimes at work
                              Nice suggestion, but who in the hell is going to buy a heap of games they already have just to have a new box?

Comment

• Working...
                                X