No announcement yet.

game policy question - refugees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To have them teleported to a different world (think New and Old IRL) with that knowledge would be like myth of Kukulcan/Quetzalcoatl/Gugumatz or something similarly bizarre.
    Right, we don't allow people to just leave one team and join another do we? It woudn't be fair. The only difference is that beaten people can't play without joining a new team.

So to allow them to continue playing without allowing team hopping they shouldn't have a choice as to who they join, or at least the conquerer should have to agree to let them go free.

Comment

Well, I disagree with not having choice
      Refugees can run, but not out in the ocean (especially if they don't even have Sailing)
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
        Now seriously: no bias, once defeated a team is no more; just the
        players remain; and some players (i'm one of them) want to keep
        themselves in the game
        Then join the conqueror. If one does not harbour any ill feelings towards one's conqueror, there should be no problem with joining the conqueror. Hell, then one would even be able to continue playing in the same environment and cities!
        If one does not want to join the conqueror, it may be a sign the defeated have bad feelings towards or want revenge against the conqueror. So then why should the conqueror allow the defeated people to run away to another team? That would cause defeating a team to be a dumb in-game move, instead of a grand achievement.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

or join your ally which sounds more realistic?

Comment

Realistic is:
            - running away (requesting political asylum) to some distant, yet known, land
            - being conquered

That's it. Teleporting oneself to another continent is not.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

but why not? there are many proofs people were sailing from egypt to america, from south america to australia, etc?

let everyone decide what to do - my short expirience shows me the defeated team just leaves the game disappointed

Comment

Means they attach too much emotion to the game.
                Game is above all a game after all.

And on that sailing topic - first you need actually is Sailing..

Comment

I'm probably in the minority on my team, but to some extent I agree that it should be realistic. If I live in Bananapolis and it falls under VOX control then I would suddenly be Voxian. Which is a big threat for us right now.

However, at the same time it is just a game, so if one team is more appealing to me- for instance if I think the idea of team merc is unique and it was originally my second choice and I want to go be on their team to see how it works on the inside, it's not fair to prevent me from that.

That's just an example for the sake of examples.

I personally don't mind either way. But it is a game and players should be free to do what's fun for them.
                  GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Ok fun an all that, now face the reality - players have certain knowledge of the game, which they can't just 'undo' or 'forget' and to my experience they will use that knowledge in every possible way either to have revenge, raise their importance in the new team or just help it.

Even if they dont spread that knowledge, it's still in their heads and when they are at making decisions, this knowledge is inevitably used as a factor.

Furthermore, at least the turnplayer, has access to turns up to conquest/destruction of that civ, which means he can look up any stats/maps/whatever he wants and pass that info to the new team.

That having said I don't think people here would do such dishonorable actions, but better deny a tempting option than later regret it.

Not letting to roam free could diminish the fun for one team, but have you thought how much other teams would be disappointed if it was revealed that some of the knowledge the refugees had was actually used to the new teams' benefit?..

Comment

Rather than aruing back and forwards over this matter - maybe all the Team Captains/Leaders could get together and have a wee vote on this.........

Just a thought..........
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I agree that we should just vote already.

I think if your worry is of revenge, than you shouldn't cause someone to want vengence. What's more is, I think we're mostly resonable people and this is more about the fun of the game and the experience than it is about the backstabbing and vengence. I think I can speak for most of my team when I say we were out played and it was a learning experience. Those who are that offended are going to quit and not continue.

There is no reason to discourage interest in a game that already has too few players because you don't want to trust people to make moral decisions.

Personally, I have no problem joining another civ on our continent as they are the only ones I know anything about. I'm not around enough to search the teams and look for people I know. I like the realism idea and if conquered will probably join AC and any team that takes Bananapolis, but some don't and the bottom line here is to have fun.
                        GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Actually, I'm going to state right here and now that who ever controls splitsville is the team I'm going to be a part of- considering they'll have me.
                          GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Ass
                            I think I can speak for most of my team when I say we were out played and it was a learning experience.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I think if your worry is of revenge, than you shouldn't cause someone to want vengence.
                              Conquest is usually enough.

There is no reason to discourage interest in a game that already has too few players because you don't want to trust people to make moral decisions.
                              The player problem in my experience is directly related to turn times or 'probability of action'. Most people just wont wait for months for something to happen.

Actually, I'm going to state right here and now that who ever controls splitsville is the team I'm going to be a part of- considering they'll have me.
                              Is that an invitation to all the teams out there to conquer it first?

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
                                Conquest is usually enough.
                                People actually get upset about that?

Man - it just means someone played that particular game better than you.............

And you ain't done it yet................

Comment

Working...
                                X