Early-game expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early-game expansion

What's your strategy for early-game (4000~0 BC) expansion and growth?

In the first 100-150 or turns, I typically expand like mad and have at least 20 cities, depending on continent size. My production order for each city:
    1. Warriors.
    2. Settlers.
    3. Settlers.
    4. Settlers (if population is still 2 or greater), otherwise
    4. Temple
    5. Phlanx/Horseman
    6. Settlers.

Once I get mapmaking, take a bunch of settlers to another continent, repeat as needed. It drives the AI insane during the early turns, since for every city they capture, two more spring up elsewhere!
    When you laugh, the world laughs with you.
    When you cry, the world laughs at you.

1warrior
    2horseman
    3settler
    4settler
    5settler/wonder all depends
    however its not always the case
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

It ain't Starcraft. Canned build orders won't win ya the game.

_/\ C
      _/\ C
      Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

settlers only until I have bronze working (I usually research it before monarchy, because I never get the option of researching monarchy when I have all the prerequisites). Warriors are useless. I might build one just for a scout and hope to pop a horseman in a hut. If barbs come for me, I usually just reload.

Comment

I am more of a warrior, warrior, settler, settler. I tend to build a lot of the little martial law guys. I don't keep them around for very long but they are cheap and quick and great for happy control, marking future city locations and denying access with their ZOC. I also use them to round out coast line and one movement terrain exploration that my horses may have skipped. Later I use them for stacking or disbanding to get a start on a caravan.

------------------
          If you can not think of a really good reason why you should build something other than a caravan, build a caravan. - jpk
          Be the bid!

Comment

You guys obviously dont play with raging barbarian hordes or at deity level, if you did you little single warrior would be swallowed alive and there goes your great expnasion plans

------------------
            Rasputin The Mad Monk,
            Ra Ra Rasputin, Lover of the Russian Queen

Comment

I agree. Even my phalanxes stuggle against barbarians. I never build more than 1 warrior for exploration. And it takes to long to get leos workshop to upgrade them.

Comment

It is easier to defend with warriors then with phalanxes. I do it this way: have lots od them (two per city or something) and I use them to stop barbarian advances by means of sacrifice. I send them towards barbs and I take them 1 mp that way until I build a horse, phalanx, whatever. You could call it a "buffer".

Comment

I'll sometimes do that also, move them out to a mountain and fortify, so i don't risk the city pop, or defending on bad terrain. Sometimes you get a vet to move back so another one can move out.

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've been with Rasputin on this one. A vet phalanx is quite tough against barbarian archers. But they do flinch at the discovery of polytheism or Ironworking--citywalls are often a necessary drag.

But since playing OCC, I've begun to appreciate the warrior strategy a bit more overall--especially in conjunction with the elimination black space (the birthplace of barbarians--dat was an enlightening tip!)

Aurelius --let the barbies rage you pagan gods!
                    Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? [--Inspiration of Blade Runner]

"> > Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who
                    >doesn't get it."--don't know.

Comment

i also find that if you build on a river you only need warior early on .... after that i take units from huts and protect with those... and i only play RAging hOrdes.... and sometimes i get screwed too..... but not against ai.....

Rah your strat is one i use as well.... vet warriors can defeat many an attacker early in the game

------------------
                      They call me Mr. Fierce

Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

1st city:
                        warrior, warrior, settler, temple, phalanx, colossus (will become SSC)

2nd or 3rd city (depending on shield output): warrior, warrior, settler, settler, temple, some other useful wonder

all others: warrior, warrior, settler, settler, temple, etc.

Once I get Writing I build 1-3 diplomats, depending on the size of my borders...also I explore, explore, explore! If I encounter an enemy civ I'll look for a descent bottleneck and put units there, then expand my cities towards him, moving the bottleneck forward.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                        X