Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Million Dollar Question

Question...

If you are building Oracle and it will be done in lets say 5 turns...

And at the same time your tech indicates you will have Bronze Working in 5 turns...

Will it allow you to pick Metal Casting as your free tech?

Logic would say yes, since on the fifth turn you would HAVE the requisite tech. However, I could have sworn I got screwed out of a perfered tech in another game because I was thinking along these lines.

Anyone know FOR CERTAIN how it works?

Not absolutely sure, but, if I remember well, builds come first

than research.

Best regards,

Comment

Yes. It works fine.

The only time you have to be careful is if you're in a team.

Comment

Actually, you would only finish BW if enough cities dump their research into it before the city making Oracle has it's turn.

For example, if the city building the Oracle is processed first, and that city doesn't produce enough beakers to finish BW, then you will be able to choose BW. If the city building Oracle is processed last, and other cities have produced enough beakers to finish BW, then you'll get the choice of MC.

Comment

I've done this enough times (With other techs like Code of Laws) and it's never ever not given me the choice of the advanced tech...

Comment

Really, Dale? It's always worked for me.

This isn't Civ2.

From CvPlayer::doTurn:
            doGold();

doResearch();

for (pLoopCity = firstCity(&iLoop); pLoopCity != NULL; pLoopCity = nextCity(&iLoop))
            {
            pLoopCity->doTurn();
            }

Comment

Nor Me,

Sorry you're right. doResearch is processed before city's production. Good catch (been a LONG time since I've dug around in that function)

Comment

Sounds like this is pretty solid evidence.

Thanks so much.

Comment

Let us know what actually happens. Nothing proves a theory like evidence.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Let us know what actually happens.

Comment

I tested this on the CS slingshot once and CoL was finished the same turn as the oracle and the tech was processed first and then the oracle movie came along and I got my free tech. Of course I had to remember not to start researching CS in the first instance so I could choose it in the second...
                      "Can we get a patch that puts Palin under Quayle?" - Theben

Comment

Ahhh, good point guermantes about not researching what you are trying to slingshot.
                        Last edited by Pinchak; July 3, 2007, 20:41.

Comment

Working...
                        X