BTS Release Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTS Release Date

Does anyone know the exact release date for the US. I had read the second, but Amazon is showing the 10th.

Mike

24th
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Solver, do you mean July 24th. Then how can Amazon ship on the 10th?
      Mike

Comment

Yeah, July. And Amazon won't ship it on the 10th.

Simply put, Amazon produces these release dates from their rear end. When BtS was first announced (saying a July release, no specific date), Amazon said it'd be the 10th. I'm sure there are some important business considerations behind that, but it's a fictional date.

Comment

Dang, I thought I could waste my July 4th day off playing BTS

Comment

Naah. They haven't even announced going gold yet - and if a game gets released 10 days after going gold, that's *very* fast. Usually, it's 3 weeks or more...

Comment

Originally posted by mkorin Then how can Amazon ship on the 10th?
              Mike
              Look at it more as a marketing strategy. How many people are going to purchase their copy at Amazon because of the earlier date? Many are going to buy through Amazon just in case there's a possibility they'll get theirs earlier than everyone else, even though the official date is two weeks later.

Marketing wise, it's fairly smart.
              Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Methos from CFC
                Look at it more as a marketing strategy. How many people are going to purchase their copy at Amazon because of the earlier date? Many are going to buy through Amazon just in case there's a possibility they'll get theirs earlier than everyone else, even though the official date is two weeks later.

Marketing wise, it's fairly smart.
                Here it would be illegal if it was a common practice - false advertising......

Lying does seem to be the basis of successful marketing though........
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                  Here it would be illegal if it was a common practice - false advertising......
                  I can't seem to locate the post (there's way too many Amazon 10th threads at CFC), but I do recall someone mentioning they emailed Amazon about the incorrect date. According to him, their reply was the date they used was given to them from the company.

Originally posted by Nugog Lying does seem to be the basis of successful marketing though........
                  Yep, though due to skillful wording, it's hard to prove.
                  Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Typically release dates are not set in stone until late in the production process, so stores don't promise exact dates, just expected dates. Then they don't update the first expected date until they get something very concrete.

Amazon is also first and foremost (or at least originally) a book company, and books, with the exception of major releases, are always like this - you get "july 2007" as an expected release date for a book months ahead of time, so they put "July 1st" because their web program requires a specific date and not just a month, and then later the publisher ends up sending it out on August 28th...

So amazon's probably just following book industry standard practice and ignoring intermediary release dates
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Doesn't make it honest or right though does it.........
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

It's just irrelevant... release date is the domain of the publisher, and if they wanted exact release dates known, they'd give them to the retailers. Amazon isn't going to update its site for every minor change in a potential release date of every product on its site. They probably don't even know it's wrong... someone will notice it, tell them, and they'll change it; or they'll just ignore it.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                        X