Best Japanese language films for a HS kid taking Japanese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bipolarbear
    Kurosawa is generally B&W iirc, so that might put her off a bit.
    she takes B&W photos.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I was pretty disappointed by the battle scenes in Seven Samurai, TBH. By modern, computer-aided standards they're really quite fake-looking. I enjoyed a lot of the movie anyway, but it's hard when you have to giggle at the battle scenes. I'm spoiled by stuff like Kill Bill, and I bet she's got it worse.

Anyway, I liked Ran better than SS. It's Kurosawa's final film, based on King Lear but set in feudal Japan. It's also his biggest-budget feature (it's in color, made in the eighties IIRC), and the production values tell. Of course, this 15yo probably isn't a Shakespeare freak like I am, but it's a good film by its own right.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
        I was pretty disappointed by the battle scenes in Seven Samurai, TBH. By modern, computer-aided standards they're really quite fake-looking. I enjoyed a lot of the movie anyway, but it's hard when you have to giggle at the battle scenes. I'm spoiled by stuff like Kill Bill, and I bet she's got it worse.

Anyway, I liked Ran better than SS. It's Kurosawa's final film, based on King Lear but set in feudal Japan. It's also his biggest-budget feature (it's in color, made in the eighties IIRC), and the production values tell. Of course, this 15yo probably isn't a Shakespeare freak like I am, but it's a good film by its own right.
        In the last two months we've gone to a professional production of "Love's Labours Lost", a high school production of "Merchant of Venice", and seen the Di Caprio version of "Romeo and Juliet" She digs Shakespeare very much.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Well there you go, then.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

You know how to raise em' LOTM.
            Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
            Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

To be honest, watching movies in Japanese would be of little benefit to someone who's only taken one-year of Japanese. The odds of them understanding anything more than a fraction of the dialogue are pretty slim.

If you really want to help her out, you might consider buying some simple books for her to read. Manga would be a good choice and she probably already has some on hand considering she enjoys anime. You are right to be worried about her solely watching anime/reading manga, though. The language used in most anime/manga is extremely informal and unlikely to be useful or appropriate in a classroom setting. As such, you might want to also get some Japanese children's books.

Your daughter probably can't read many kanji yet, but she should have mastered hiragana and katakana by now. You can purchase books intended for Japanese children that are written entirely in hiragana/katakana. These are a good way to learn vocabulary and grammar structures that will be encountered on a regular basis in a Japanese classroom setting. The trick is finding books that your daughter would want to read. I don't know much about her, but I can imagine a teen being reluctant to read kid's books. You probably know what topics she might be interested in, though. I personally like to read folk tales and there are many Japanese kids books about those. Just find a type of book she might like and make sure that they don't have too many kanji.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I was going to say ShinShin No Samuri too.

What's that?
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  To be honest, watching movies in Japanese would be of little benefit to someone who's only taken one-year of Japanese.
                  It will help more with nailing the subtleties of the language like timing, intonation, syllabic emphasis, etc. If anything she'll be more used ot hearing it and presumably have a leg up on understanding it if she ever decides to go live in Japan or anywhere else where Japanese is the dominant language (is there anywhere else other than anime cons?)
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

It will help more with nailing the subtleties of the language like timing, intonation, syllabic emphasis, etc.

Students with only one year of study under their belt have a lot more pressing needs to be addressed than nailing the subtleties like timing and intonation.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Gladiator dubbed in Japanese
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Ichi the Killer

Anything from Takashi Miike works.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Gladiator dubbed in Japanese

グラデイエーターがローマの天皇
                          よりも強いになることを見た。
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                            - Spirited Away

Comment

Azumanga Daioh. Since there are a lot of phrases common to classrooms that she would have learned in her first year class. Then there's a lot of obscure Japanese stuff that she'll never get and will make her abadon the language for something less challenging, like Chinese.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That is an awesome anime (Azumanga Daioh).

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X