X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    awesome anime
    Oxymoron
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Madadayo.

Millennium Actress is an anime, but more weighty and meaningful than most.
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

That was the one that they wondered why it was made an anime (the critics). I liked it also.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Assume someone has just completed their first year of Japanese. And they are going to take 2nd year Japanese in the fall. And their dad wants to make fall quarter easier, by keeping their japanese from getting rusty, but in a painless way. By showing films.
          You force your kid to watch movies so she can learn Japanese **** "painlessly?" That's a little pushy maybe you should STOP FORCING movies DOWN HER THROAT. She is getting of age if you know what I mean (sexual implication there), controlling parents such as yourself tend to have a bad reaction when she brings a guy home who doesn't even brush his teeth Brace yourself..
          Last edited by Wiglaf; June 26, 2007, 23:06.

Comment

Here, here, honey...I want to teach you some Japanese...painlessly...*rubs hands together and cackles*

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              It will help more with nailing the subtleties of the language like timing, intonation, syllabic emphasis, etc.

Students with only one year of study under their belt have a lot more pressing needs to be addressed than nailing the subtleties like timing and intonation.
              Of course, but providing she has more than a passing interest it doesn't hurt to get her early exposure to it. Yeah, she could be studying Japanese instead of studying, but I really don't think any fifteen year old would be down with doing more homework.

It's not like watching some anime is going to be equivalent to Rosetta or something, but it doesn't really hurt to get a general sense for the language and culture.

Other than opportunity cost, I really don't see why it is objectionable to try and further expose her to the language.
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Wiglaf takes the lead with the 24 karat parenting advice.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

You force your kid to watch movies so she can learn Japanese **** "painlessly?" That's a little pushy maybe you should STOP FORCING movies DOWN HER THROAT. She is getting of age if you know what I mean (sexual implication there), controlling parents such as yourself tend to have a bad reaction when she brings a guy home who doesn't even brush his teeth Brace yourself..
                  Nobodys forcing anybody to do anything.

I go to blockbusters. I rent Seven Samurai. I announce "Im playing Seven Samurai, anyone want to watch it with me?"

If she'd rather read Harry Potter, or IM her friends, fine, so be it. I know her well enough to imagine she'd be curious to want to watch the movie.

I dont know why you would think otherwise?
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear

Of course, but providing she has more than a passing interest it doesn't hurt to get her early exposure to it. Yeah, she could be studying Japanese instead of studying, but I really don't think any fifteen year old would be down with doing more homework.

It's not like watching some anime is going to be equivalent to Rosetta or something, but it doesn't really hurt to get a general sense for the language and culture.

Other than opportunity cost, I really don't see why it is objectionable to try and further expose her to the language.
                    Youve got the position right. This is summer, time for a break from academics, thats why I was thinking films.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.†Martin Buber

Comment

Yeah cinema is a good choice then. It's pseudo intellectual, but still earns you big culture points for some reason (probably because it was created and refined over the past century). So if anything you'll give her something to talk about at cocktail parties.

Comment

I didn't say it was objectionable. I was just pointing out that it will do little or nothing to improve POTM's Japanese skill. If LOTM just wants to watch some Japanese films with his daughter, that's fine, but he shouldn't delude himself into thinking it will do much of anything to improve her proficiency in the Japanese language at this point.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Point taken.

Comment

41 posts on japanese films and not a single bukkake joke.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I was thinking it would be funny to recommend the Guinea Pig movies, but I decided that I could maximize the utility of a single post to LOTM by opting for a serious recommendations instead of sarcastic ones.

Comment

nm
                                Last edited by Nostromo; June 27, 2007, 22:04.
                                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X