X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, each skirm is 4; each archer 5,85 (still the half first strike pro
    skirm to be factored in).

That's for 1st and 2nd combats.

Then, 4 (+said half 1st strike) v. luckier archer,??.

I just do not know go beyond.

Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      If anyone wants to spend time doing it...

Use the world builder. Make sure to not save random seed.

Put up a city with palace and quite a bit of culture. Put a city def 2 archer in it and fort it. Skip 5 turns to give it the max fort bonus.

Put 3 skirmishers down and declare war. Move adjacent to the city.

Save the game.

Open it 100 times and attack with all 3 skirms. Report back how many times you win and how many times you lose.
      Anybody built a civ4 combat calculator yet? Probably too hard to work in all the variables needed. More complex than civ3.
      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Here's one

but I'm not 100% sure it works exactly like the in-game one.
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
          can't you see the odds in the in-game log ??
          One would think so...
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Last I remember, the in-game combat odds didn't include the effects of first strikes. But I may be mistaken about that, obviously. If not, the odds for this case are not going to be particularly close to what the game says.

Comment

We did some simulation, and IIRC we thought we had better than even odds. Given the payoff, we took our shot. I was one of the main proponents of attacking. Obviously, it didn't work out. I still believe, however, that it was the right move.

Hey, if the odds are 60/40 or so (I honestly don't remember our exact calculations), you're gonna lose 4 out of 10 times. What happened wasn't being royally screwed by the RNG. It was unlucky, but not horribly so.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

I am pretty sure we had over a 60% chance of victory.

JM
                The third skirmisher had a 42% chance of victory.

But that's just the last battle. We ran sims with all three battles. The *overall* odds were better than 50%.

Once we got to the final skirm and still had a coin-flip chance of victory, we pressed on. We lost.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yup.

This gamble definitely made sense for us. We were under no delusions that it was not a gamble - but it made perfect sense.

I mean 75 hammers, for a 60% chance of gaining a holy city and eliminating a rival.

The basic game theory looks like:
                  60% chance of losing 50 hammers and gaining a holy city + eliminating an annoyance.
                  40% chance of losing 75 hammers.
                  Expected losses = 60h
                  Expected gains = 60% of Vox Holy City.

Even putting the value of The Voice at the nominal value of 100h as a settler, you can see that the gamble was worth it. And when you pile on all the extras (population, religion, thorn removal), Vox was mad to give us the oppurtunity.

Of course we don't know whether it was a calculated move by Vox - they know they're dead so a 40% chance of gaining temporary respite from a choke is better than nothing, arguably (if Vox have game theorists, they would have known that GS, as rational players, would have no choice but to attack).

Comment

I intended you to attack. I thought (still think) that I had better then 40% chance of victory.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I agree that it was perhaps worth it to you, although it did give us a bit of resptie (Since we won).

It looks like we couldn't take advantage of it though.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

We needed you to attack, or we wouldn't ever be able to build oursecond city, which was the only way we would ever hav ea chance.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

If we thought that failure could have given you a chance, we wouldn't have attacked! ack !
                          Last edited by Blake; July 14, 2007, 05:50.

Comment

Working...
                          X