No announcement yet.

GENERAL: E-Cafe III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I upgraded in januray to a core duo with 2GB Ram...so civ4 is getting is playable for me...will have to see what BTS is like though.

I wont leave ctp2 without fixing a few things though.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Have you used Dale's combat mod? I haven't because it's never likely to catch on for multi-player.

Combat is by far my biggest gripe with Civ4. I play Warlords for short intense periods but get bored, frustrated or annoyed with combat eventually.

So it's mainly the combat that keeps me playing CtP2. The random map AI can be annoying with the playtest and I don't have the time or inclination to improve it myself, so I've been sticking to creating specific scenarios and teaching the AI to follow very specific roles, which is actually quite satisfying as you can get results quite quickly.
      Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
      CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
      One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I'm still in the middle of the Warlords Alex scenario and the combat is getting too me. I wish there was icon to tell you how many units are out there too.

THe other thing is the worker tedium, having to move those things around and supervise tehm so they don't screw up in automation, gets rid of the custom feel I get when I use PW. If the gold thing works out it may mean more to build my infrastructure, which I like - but we'll have to see.

I tried Dale's mod briefly. THe thing I don't like is that I just cant load dale's mod and use it in a scenario. I think I have to copy it over or something.

Yeah the CTP2 AI needs work and we need to make interface changes, specifically just adding list boxes to tileimps, orders, and the tribe screen (at start up). Other that the interface is close enough to civ4 in functionality that it just needs a graphics cleanup. On that note I (finally) got a copy of ctp1 and the UI functionality sucks, but I like the colors. Any objections if I clean up the CTP2 interface to have the golden CTP1 colors?

The tough part of it all is that there is this gap between ctp2 and civ4. I don't have the coding skills to add PW and combat to Civ4 and I don't have the skills to fix the AI in CTP2

If anything I promise to be hear until the fourth anniversary of source code release (Oct '07)

Comment

Originally posted by E

THe other thing is the worker tedium, having to move those things around and supervise tehm so they don't screw up in automation, gets rid of the custom feel I get when I use PW. If the gold thing works out it may mean more to build my infrastructure, which I like - but we'll have to see.
          I usually automate just before the modern age (if i get that far). As all they need to do then is hook up the trade network on any new resources i get. I might interrupt a few to build workshops later on though.

Any objections if I clean up the CTP2 interface to have the golden CTP1 colors?
          I would object, although I probably prefer the CtP1 colours as well, it's not what CtP2 was intended to be. I felt the same about some of CtP1 terrain, but again it's not really what CtP2 is, and we would be throwing away the original CtP2 material to go backwards, which is a shame.

The tough part of it all is that there is this gap between ctp2 and civ4. I don't have the coding skills to add PW and combat to Civ4 and I don't have the skills to fix the AI in CTP2
          Well we do have a decent AI for CtP2, it's just wrapped up in various mods, which I get the feeling is where it's going to stay. But after all the original intention of the source code was only to fix bugs and improve moddability. If we can get Ages of Man (hopefully some other mods as well) working with the playtest and all bugs ironed out I'd say it's good enough.

If anything I promise to be hear until the fourth anniversary of source code release (Oct '07)
          Do we know what Martin G is up to? If it looks like the code will stop being worked on soon (for whatever reasons), I suggest we try to wrap things up ASAP.

As long as I'm visiting Apolyton I'll be around, but of course I don't contribute as much, certainly not to coding.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora

I usually automate just before the modern age (if i get that far). As all they need to do then is hook up the trade network on any new resources i get. I might interrupt a few to build workshops later on though.
            That doesn't work for me, often i just see the workers hanging out in my city..damn drifters

I would object, although I probably prefer the CtP1 colours as well, it's not what CtP2 was intended to be. I felt the same about some of CtP1 terrain, but again it's not really what CtP2 is, and we would be throwing away the original CtP2 material to go backwards, which is a shame.
            based on the condition of ctp2 I'm sure anyone knows what it was intended to be I won't be reverting back to ctp1 I was planning on using that color scheme to make new ggraphics, using stuff we see in current games like civ4 and civcity:rome where there is a fade in the buttons and stuff like that. On one hand I can do it and see what people think (by making it a mod) on the other hand if its not wanted I'm not going to expend the effort.

Well we do have a decent AI for CtP2, it's just wrapped up in various mods, which I get the feeling is where it's going to stay. But after all the original intention of the source code was only to fix bugs and improve moddability. If we can get Ages of Man (hopefully some other mods as well) working with the playtest and all bugs ironed out I'd say it's good enough.
            unfortunately Martin things the mod AI isn't devcent but cheats and etc. the other AI problem is the diplomacy. CTP2 diplomacy needs a serious rework and its yet another area I don't have the skill to improve.

Do we know what Martin G is up to? If it looks like the code will stop being worked on soon (for whatever reasons), I suggest we try to wrap things up ASAP.
            I have no idea what he's up to, he has been slowing down regarding how much he does for ctp2. if he stays active I'd be encouraged to stay on. Fromafar seems to slowed down as well. Both have been doing minor cleanups and correcting me more than doing any major changes to the code since the last year almost

As long as I'm visiting Apolyton I'll be around, but of course I don't contribute as much, certainly not to coding.
            you could help out by working with strategies.txt to get the barbarian to act normal (like no wonders, balance attack and siege). I still haven't figured out how to do that.

Comment

based on the condition of ctp2 I'm sure anyone knows what it was intended to be I won't be reverting back to ctp1 I was planning on using that color scheme to make new ggraphics, using stuff we see in current games like civ4 and civcity:rome where there is a fade in the buttons and stuff like that. On one hand I can do it and see what people think (by making it a mod) on the other hand if its not wanted I'm not going to expend the effort.
              Some of it is nice in CtP2, like the columns on the empire window, it has a nice theme IMO, except the science victory window, that's FUGLY

Transparent/Faded buttons sounds cool though, be nice to see what that looks like, but not if it means more bugs at this stage...

unfortunately Martin things the mod AI isn't devcent but cheats and etc. the other AI problem is the diplomacy. CTP2 diplomacy needs a serious rework and its yet another area I don't have the skill to improve.
              There's no one here to fix the AI properly and (at least IMO) the AI in the mods can still be very good. Maybe it's time to just focus entirely on bug finding/fixing now. All the additions you've all made are a big improvement, but it's obvious things are slowing down so maybe now is the time to consolidate what we have. Unless Martin and Fromafar (or anyone else) come and tell us they're still working on the AI that is.

you could help out by working with strategies.txt to get the barbarian to act normal (like no wonders, balance attack and siege). I still haven't figured out how to do that.
              That's something I've been messing with while playtesting. Different levels of barbs as well, to find the best balance between a fun challenge for the human and not killing the AI's chances in the first 50 turns.

All this depends on the activity of the rest of the project though. No point reporting if there's no one around to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by E
                unfortunately Martin things the mod AI isn't devcent but cheats and etc.
                That's indeed not fine, if you decide to play against a cheater then it is your problem. But otherwise it should play fair, it should use all the things you can use.

On another issure: There is something out there called real live. And I shouldn't devote all my time for CTP2, simply there is also something else.

For the merging code, if you really need something like this than please make it optional, so that I don't have to be bothered with it. Simply I like an AI that plays to the end-victory (or should I say Endsieg. ) of course this may not only end in the total war but also in the total defeat.

About the AI: This one is not so easy you have a lot of files and everywhere can be a little defect hidden, so you have to find it first. But one difficulty to find such defects is that you have no idea what you are looking for. Maybe you have a vague idea what it is like empty sea transporter, but you just may slip accitentally over it.
                Another problem with the AI code is that it is hard to understand, those iterators aren't very intuitive. Actually you can only rework this AI, try to clean it up first, try to simplify it first, without changing the functionality first, in the hope that you may stumble over something. But this is risky since since you may break something. So that you have to test it.

- Martin
                Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Man, Firaxis "stole" my liberating city idea! well they did implement it better...

Comment

Its true the AI does cheat in CtP2 but is it any more than most games. If you look in the DiffDB file for difficutly levels -when AI is max ahead the settings are such that the AI gets less help.The mods try to keep it more level so the AI will never fall behind.Like the Apolyton mod.But of course the reverse is ture if AI is max behind.
                    Has anyone played Ages of Man? Has it got anything to offer in the way of improving the AI?

Comment

good news protra Martin's latest additions to the code creates a list box for difficulty (and barbarian) levels. SO it looks like we can add new difficulty levels.

Comment

Thats perfect.Along with the rules screen updates we can make many ajustments for the kind of game we want.

Comment

Still enjoying the 771 build.AI is starting to rebound after being hit hard by aggressive play by me, so early lead might be short lived. Will see.
                          Was wondering E how is the Civ4 AI? Waiting for the end of the year to pick up a new computor (bounus time for me) and will give the game a try.Have Civ3 and all add ons.Didnt care for the gang up factor by the AI and it happened ever game for the least thing.Thats why I kept playing Call to Power 2 and hoped for something better in another game.GalCiv 2 has my eye as it has many features of intrest along with a sharp AI.Solver gave a great review with screen shots.

Comment

The civ4 BTS AI just beat me hard on noble level. surprisingly it was the barbs that took a city and my capitol. reminds me of some of the aggressive barbarians we faced in my ctp2 build !

I started a new game at chieftain (level above noble) and doing a lot better. playing more builder than warrior but i am allied with a civ (zulu) and fighting the spanish now, spainis putting up a decent fight. the 1v1 combat is a drag though, i;m waiting for dale's combat mod for BTS. Over all BTS seems fun. But I'll hold to my October promise for ctp2 (mainly since i'm getting the hang of list boxes finally). After that I'm going to try to add some CTP2 elements to Civ4, like tile imps requiring gold to build (simulate stack combat) and other stuff I think of.

Comment

I just got the demo to Civ4,s new add on, BTS from PC Gamer magazine.What a change from Civ3.Like the zoom in feature.It will take 2 or 3 games to get a handle on things and learn the many options you have open to you to win the game.But I dont know if it will replace CtP2 in every way.I feel there is more room in the CtP2 world like Age of Empires to roam around in to explore and build large empires.
                              But a smart AI makes the differance and other things can be changed by modding over time.

Comment

OT, but I was wondering what some stuff in const.txt mean.

Just what are elite and leader units like? I am going to test this for sure, but an explanation would help.

What is RAIL_LAUNCH_POLLUTION? Is it from space transport?

What does PIRACY_KILLS_TRADER_CHANCE do when triggered?

and since there is a MONOPOLY_THRESHOLD, what is the concept of monopoly and why haven't I ever heard of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X