Back to School for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to School for me!

I've been accepted to an evening MBA program at Xavier University here in Cincinnati, and I'm stoked! I thought that I would never get in anywhere because my undergrad GPA sucked. Yet, I got a 640 on the GMAT, which is pretty good, and my undergrad major was at UCDavis in Chemical Engineering which a pretty demanding course. Thus, two weeks ago, as I was bored at work I filled out the app, had my transcripts mailed and hit send.

A couple of days after that I called the Admittance person and told them that I would be most appreciative if they would consider my application even though my GPA (which they were then yet to have seen) was awful and would probably not be reviewed based on the fact that I didn't meet the minimum required GPA. They told me that my GMAT weighted higher on their scale, and that if everything else looked good then I would get in. I went on to tell them that I have 8 years engineering experience in pharma/biotech industry with headliners such as Genentech and J&J.

I think that impressed them, because yesterday I received word that I was admitted.

I doubt the curric will be tough as I generally read business type books, have a great quant background, have taken several stats courses since college, and really like econ. So, I'm excited. When I'm done I'll have a really nice resume with 10+ years of solid experience and good education to back it up. In the next 2 years my goal, apart from getting good grades, will be to weasel my way into management, as I am hoping to reach atleast Ass. Director level by the time I'm 40 (8 years). I know, corporate ladder crap, boring... but I like it, I think it's funny.

Anyway, goes to show what happens if you try, and what you can make out of lemons. Also, being nice, asking questions, and asking for what you want never hurts.
    Monkey!!!

Congrats and good luck Japher
    What?

Comment

Congrats.

I thought for a flash in time that you had met one goal.

as I am hoping to reach atleast Ass.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Congrats. It seems everyone is going for an MBA now. Two of my friends just got accept this month one to Havard and the other to Northwestern. MBA fever is in the air.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Good job, Japher
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

cool.

I wanna go back to school just for the women.

Comment

MBAs = teaching people to be evil capitalists

Comment

evil capitalist
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Good luck at school Jasper!

(im sorry, but i have always wanted to call you that.)
                  pieceâ„¢
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I almost took that, but there are too many Jaspers on other boards and chats, not as many Japhers. Also, Jasper is too much like Casper.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

congrats, on the admission. i still havent decided what i want to do wheni grow up. Its like if i go back to school it will have to be something in the medical field if not i get to start at the bottom again and im not sure i can work for less the 20 bucks an hour now.
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

yay japher! i know its hard to work and go to school at the same time. im taking nightclasses to transfer to uw and while stressful its also a lotta fun. new sexual partners and new scrabble partners
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Congrats

That work experience is far more valuable than a mediocre gpa to your new school.

I'm contemplating an MBA myself.

Comment

Working...
                          X