Reducing eco damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reducing eco damage?

I'm playing as Morgan to get a feel for how that faction plays out and I'm playing late game at Talent level.

Not wanting to end the game early with either a conquest or diplomatic victory, I'm just seeing what the game dishes out at the later stages.

I was surprised to see how Planet reacts to eco damage with sea levels having risen twice now and having to get a solar shade vote passed to 'calm' things down a bit! Also, I've been inundated with mind worm swarms recently including Locusts of Chiron invasions!

How can I reduce eco damage further in my 2 bases that appear to be causing the problem?

This seems to have been triggered by building Robotic Assembly plants at the two bases. The eco damage is 12 and 9 respectively, with 54 / 51 minerals being produced even though both bases have Tree Farm, Hybrid Forest and Centauri Preserve facilities.

I understand there's at least two other facilities that will boost mineral production by a further 50% each too!

I'm running Democratic, Simple and Wealth atm, because I was experimenting with Pop Booming so my Planet rating is -3 IIRC which probably doesn't help much? Edit: I checked and it's actually 0, so that doesn't account for anything.

TIA
    Last edited by FullMetalJack; May 31, 2007, 18:44.

If you want to improve the current game, then scrap your TF, HF and CP's and build them again.

In a new game, you shouldn't build any of those before you have provoked at least one fungus pop due to eco damage.

After that each of those three facilities built will give you a "clean mineral" in every city.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Im confused... why do you have to build them only after an eco damage event?

Shouldnt they just give you the eco bonus regardless of when you build them? Preventing eco damage before it occurs?

Comment

Black Cat, when you say 'fungus pop', do you mean the major message pop-up stating that because of major eco damage, sea levels are expected to rise x metres over the next 20 years, or one of those random 'fungus grows near xxx city, forest destroyed' messages?

If you mean the latter, then I think that was what prompted me into building the Tree farm or other facilities originally where they did reduce the eco damage figure but not eliminate it altogether as the datalinks state they should.

Comment

FMJ, it's the latter - when sea is rising it's way too late .

After such a pop, your number of clean minerals is raised by the total sum of those facilities across your empire. Actually, there is a fourth facility, but it comes late. Say you have 50 bases and they all have those three, your limit will be more than 150 mins before eco damage.

Are you sure that it's your fault the sea is rising ? If I recall rigth, then the message about it says who is to blame.

@Noesis. It's a bug/undocumented feature that after such a pop, those facilities has this effect.

Edit : Those fungus pops isn't random - you can provoke them by having a base producing some 15+ mins pretty early.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Thanks BC.

Well, I don't seem to recall the blame being attributed to a particular faction. I just assumed it was down to me.

I had a look through the alpha.txt file to see if there was a string with that info in but no joy. Perhaps it's in another file though?

Edit: From Script.txt

===

#TRIGGERWARMING
            #xs 440
            #caption Chief Planetologist
            Ecological damage has begun to trigger global warming! According to
            our calculations, sea levels will rise approximately $NUM1 meters
            over the next $NUM0 years!

#TRIGGERWARMING2
            #xs 440
            #caption Chief Planetologist
            Ecological damage, particularly by the $FACTION0,
            has begun to trigger global warming! According to
            our calculations, sea levels will rise approximately $NUM1 meters
            over the next $NUM0 years!

===

Perhaps Warning #2 occurs if a faction other than you causes it maybe then?

But, I looked through the other factions bases producing the most minerals and one University base had an eco damage figure of 38! Probably due to masses of sea mining platforms around it and no forests able to be built in the sea of course!

How do you get around that particular problem btw then?

I counted the total eco damage reducing facilities and Morgan has 15 total and between the Gaians (2nd largest) and the University (3rd largest) they have just ONE facility. LOL

So, 16 Planetwide total.

Hive is eliminated, Spartans are fairly small (not infiltrated), Believers and Peacekeepers are tiny factions.
            Last edited by FullMetalJack; May 31, 2007, 19:16.

Comment

Just build and scrap Centauri Preserves over and over again. Once you've had a fungal pop, each one raises your clean mineral limit by one.

The following facilities boost your clean mineral count by one for each one built:

Tree Farms
              Hybrid Forest
              Centauri Preserve
              Temple of Planet

If you game the clean mineral formula, you'll never need to build Temples of Planet, and Centauri Preserves can be scrapped as soon as they're built. However, if such shenanigans displease you, just focus on maximizing energy income instead of minerals. For one thing, there's many more energy magnifying facilities than mineral magnifiers, and for another, energy is eco-damage free.

And really, that's what you should be doing as Morgan in the first place. Making and spending cash is what Morgan is all about.

Comment

The game will tell you which faction is causing eco-damage, but it only is in SMAX that it does this...even then, it might only be in the 2.0 patch, and I think it only blames a particular faction if global warming is due to industry, not atrocities...

Comment

Energy is not eco-damage free?

Echelon mirrors cause eco damage if I remember correctly.

Although it doesnt make sense to just concentrate on energy. For one thing, you have to have minerals in order to effectivly produce things...?

Comment

Perhaps it's time to cite this article, which is the most authoritative souce for information on ecodamage.

I suggest that FMJ and Noesis read it, and then post again if any questions.

Petek
                    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                    -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Noesis
                      Energy is not eco-damage free?

Echelon mirrors cause eco damage if I remember correctly.
                      Not eco-damage free, per se, but with mineral producing improvements, you pay the taxman twice, producing eco-damage for the improvements themselves, and the minerals they provide.

Although it doesnt make sense to just concentrate on energy. For one thing, you have to have minerals in order to effectivly produce things...?
                      I'm not saying harvest energy to the exlusion of all else, just to maintain a modest mineral production within the limits of your clean mineral threshold, and supplement that base with a combination of rush-building and shell unit upgrades. If your base is producing upwards of 100 minerals with only a genejack factory and a robotic assembly plant, you're CERTAINLY using crawlers to supplement the base mineral income. All I'm suggesting is that crawling energy in lieu of your minerals, while marginally less effective in terms of producing big ticket items fast, will still considerably improve your industrial output while carrying comparatively no eco-disruption.

Comment

Don't exaggerate your min production, it causes eco damage
                        Attached Files

Steven Weinberg

Comment

how is that possible? that is alot of people and transcends...

Comment

Originally posted by Noesis
                            how is that possible? that is alot of people and transcends...
                            Mainly due to 50+ sattelites of all three kinds. It actually also says something about your second question in the other thread.

If you are interested, I have saves of start and that shown - though it's SMAX, so wont work with SMAC.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The eco-damage formula doesn't even include mineral satellites, so once you're at that stage, your mineral problems are at an end. BlackCat's screenie shows a base post hab-domes, probably without crawlers.

Comment

Working...
                              X