Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• game admin role

I had a chat with our game admin, Snoopy369, the other night

was asking when he would be stepping in to get this game moving along, as he being the game admin etc, and we have all agreed to a 24 hour turn rule etc

well seems he believes he has no powerz to do anything - that all teams did not want a game admin who could skip turns of teams that have not left a note that they can not play within the 24 hours etc...

so if he can not skip a team, then how can he encourage people to get their team together and get on with the game etc etc

basically of all the demo games, this one has ripped out its admins powerz

I feel that after all this time we should restore his powerz, let the lad have something to stand on, and encourage him to do his role...

this is a great game, and a LOT of time and effort has been invested by a great many people

why shouold it die from only have 70 turns played each year...

I know it is not pitboss, but surely there are enough players to hacve more than one turn player per team... it is a team game afterall

lets give Snoops a bigger ball of string to play with!
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

see this post for stats on turns

PJayTycy stats on Game

posted by PJayTycy:

Just as information : we've been playing for about 1 year and 1 month.

In the last year, we've played 70 turns. I think that's a good overal speed, a little more than 1 turn each week. If the game is about to be decided in +/- the 280th turn, we're at 1/4th of the game.

so about 2 - 3 years of game play to go at the current rate.... as some teams may drop out and the game could speed up etc

I am of the Horde.

Comment

More power to da Snoop!!

What about a 'three strikes and ya out' type rule?????

Overshoot the 24 hour turn rule 3 times and the third time Snoops presses the big red button!!!
      Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
      The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
      Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
      Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

I don't think very hard rules should be in place, but the 24h (or 36h) without notice and endturn hit rule should be quite appropriate.

The game is already going faster than up to now - we have turnaround in 4.5 days.

The 'problematic' teams are Vox and Banana who apparently have both only a single turnplayer. I guess all we can do is to urge them to do their stuff quicker and post turn sent messages more often.
        It's also good we've gotten out of 'Vox gets save @weekend' loop and we should continue this practice.

For teams wanting to make the game quicker, I'd very much like to remember first take look if everything that could be done to speed up our own turnplay has been done.
        This applies to Horde least of all I guess..

We, in Team AC recently started using Skype as medium for turnchats.
        Remarkable and useful feaures are:
        - rooms are permanent. you don't have to quit room when going offline and you recieve log of discussions taken place during your absence once you come online again.
        - ability to start conference call if needs be
        - you can always see who's online and start discussing important things right when you see people are there

So basically our turnplay doctrine could be broken down into two phases:
        - pre-planning, taking place before arrival of the turn (most decisions being taken right after ending last turn)
        - turnchats - if there's anything needing discussion, a turnchat takes place during which turn is played and sent on

Such order of turnplaying should bring down turn times to 12h (provided the turnplayer/-s can play it at 2+ different times per day) and less if used as much as possible.
        -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

I go along with the idea of a skipped turn as a 'warning shot across the bow'. I understand that some teams will have problems with a 24hr time limit, but the other teams want to get on with the game. If the 24 hr limit is too harsh, how about a 12-hour relief (36 hrs for first time) with that lowering by 1 hour for each subsequent offense.

Alternately, Snoopy could consider taking the turn to allow the units to complete their assigned tasks (thus the auto-turn function would progress) but would alter nothing and would queue nothing?
          Thus the highest form of generalship is to balk the enemy's plans; the next best is to prevent the junction of the enemy's forces; the next in order is to attack the enemy's army in the field; and the worst policy of all is to besiege walled cities.--Sun Tzu

Comment

A good way to make people quit.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JM, you have to realize, that if one quits and others get a way quicker and interesting game, it's so much more better than going at snails pace until everyone quits.

Besides this measure was thought of to make people think before forgetting about the turn.

Having said that, I don't think you or anyone else should quit, just get the game rolling faster.
              I think each team should be able to make a turn per 24h and strive to be able to make a turn in under 12h.
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

8 teams.. we should actually have some days where we get one whole turn done in that day

and with the number of actual civ players involved here, we should be able to do that often....

not just one turn a week...

Game On!!!

edit: above where I say "one whole turn done in that day", I mean in that 24 hours, every team has played their turn, and we moved it along
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

I refuse to be a slave to the turn.

I sleep and work, that is over 12, generally over 16 hours right there. If I let the save sit for a few hours, depending on the time it comes in, that can easily be over 24 hours.

The game should be allowed to play out naturally, without teams being forced to quit through penalties.

Nothing ruins a game more than for players to quit.

I do admit that Vox is sort of down right now, there are some serious issues that we are facing. If we overcome them, I think that we will speed up. If not, then the game will speed up naturally.

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

well Jon, what of the other 9 members of your team...?

for instance there are 6 of you online here at Poly right now
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

Nothing ruins a game more than for players to quit.

Jon Miller
                      I beg to differ, nothing ruins a game than boredom...
                      I am of the Horde.

Comment

boredom ruins the game by encouraging people to quit

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                          well Jon, what of the other 9 members of your team...?

for instance there are 6 of you online here at Poly right now
                          Most people in Vox have given up.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I actually find this confusing, I actually thought the purpose of this thread was to encourage people to play their turns on time and to post that the turn was sent !

Either you are considering quitting any way or are seeking to get others accused of flaming you ? which is it Jon ?
                            A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              boredom ruins the game by encouraging people to quit

JM
                              and holding up the save?

does that not cause boredom?
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                              X