The Last Temptation of Al Gore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Temptation of Al Gore

Al Gore still says he's not planning on running but you have to notice the guy has released a hit movie which spends an awful lot of time talking about Gore, that he's been dieting to get in shape and lose the weight he's put on since 2000, and that he's just written a book about what's wrong with politics in America and how to fix it. Is this stealth campaigning or just Gore doing what he likes best?

I'd be interested in knowing if he's book tour just happens to take him to key primary states or not plus I notice he's polling in the number three spot right now and he isn't even a candidate. If Hillary stumbles or the hailo comes of Obama then I wouldn't be surprised to see Gore jump in the race. Especially if he wins that Noble Prize next October. I could total see that being the ideal time to declare your in the race with all the media coverage he'd get plus there's still plenty of time to get on the ballot in all 50 states. The real question is fund raising; he has the contacts but is one year enough time to amass a war chest?

Link to this week's Time Magazine article (it's to long to post): http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...2009-1,00.html

A link to the CBC's coverage of Gore's new book: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/books/story/2...gore-book.html
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Re: The Last Temptation of Al Gore

Originally posted by Oerdin
    The real question is fund raising; he has the contacts but is one year enough time to amass a war chest?
    The other real question is people. All the experienced ones are already working for other candidates.

Comment

The book, FWIW, actually sounds really interesting. Not a normal political book (this is what I'm going to do, etc, etc), but more of a scholarly look at the problem (complete with many footnotes, from what I've read about it).
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

he's just written a book about what's wrong with politics
        The American people don't like what the Republicans stand for and don't know what the Democrats stand for." ... James Carvell

Comment

I would love to see him run, that's for sure. Gore is a gift that keeps on giving.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: Re: The Last Temptation of Al Gore

Originally posted by Zkribbler

The other real question is people. All the experienced ones are already working for other candidates.
            I bet most of them would jump ship when it is clear their candidate is way behind and a new top dog is in town. It is possible they signed a contract though in which case Gore would be out of luck unless the other candidate dropped out.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              I would love to see him run, that's for sure. Gore is a gift that keeps on giving.
              Do you think he could beat Rudy?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Do you think he could beat Rudy?
                I do. I've said it before: do the math. What state did Gore win in 2000 that he would lose in 2008? I don't see one. Plus, this time around he'd get to keep Florida. Now add to that the collapse of the GOP machine in Ohio and the rise of strong Dem parties in the Rockies. Gore -- especially the new Gore, who actually has a personality -- beats Rudy, no problem.

edit - Just to seal the deal: Gore/Richardson. That'd do it.
                Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; May 22, 2007, 19:11.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  I do. I've said it before: do the math. What state did Gore win in 2000 that he would lose in 2008?
                  I dunno, I'd imagine pushing climate change that hard may put off a lot of voters who like their cars.

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                  edit - Just to seal the deal: Gore/Richardson. That'd do it.
                  Would be good to see it happen.
                  Smile
                  For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                  But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

i am very sorry i have to say this but...

when you speak of my hero Algore, please type his name appropriately like this: "Algore." everyone knows that Algore is the man. he beat Bush and got screwed. Algore will run and he will win. i will vote for Algore. let me just say one more thing:

Algore!
                    pieceâ„¢
                    Order of the Fly
                    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Kind of like herpes.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Gore/Richardson would be amusing, but I think the problem is that Gore has shown himself to be a nutjob, while Giuliani is relatively moderate and probably would win some voters who would be scared off by a right-wing republican. There are more voters that voted Gore who might change away, than who voted Bush who might change to Gore.

Gore was once a moderate liberal (or styled himself that way), but he has now styled himself as a far left liberal. He's not going to win over any moderate-conservative voters, and he's going to alienate many moderate-liberal voters. Particularly the unions and industry.

Can you imagine what would happen to jobs and salaries in manufacturing and industry if we substantially changed our environmental laws? Salaries would drop and jobs would be lost by the thousands.

Or at least that's how Giuliani would style it, and a lot of people would believe him. A LOT. I doubt he'd win Ohio, for example. Even a few thousand changed votes as a result of a fear campaign would do it...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

And dance...?! Watch the man dance.

Algorhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

I dunno, I'd imagine pushing climate change that hard may put off a lot of voters who like their cars.
                            Actually, the states -- including car-loving California -- are taking the lead on environmental issues, while the feds are fighting them. Since state governments tend to be more responsive to their citizens than the feds do, I think that's good evidence that Gore's environmentalism has a receptive audience in mainstream America.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Rudy has troubles, apparently he's been getting picketed by NY firefighters and their families for his screw ups before and after 9/11. Its looking like Kerry's problem with the swift boaters...

Comment

Working...
                              X