2.Wii----------------------360.000-------2.454.000
    3.PlayStation 2 --------194.000-------38.169.000
    4.PSP----------------------183.000------7.439.000
    5.Xbox 360--------------174.000------5.401.000
    6.Game Boy Advance---84.000-----35.668.000
    7.PlayStation 3-----------82.000-----1.272.000

=====================
    4 things:
    1) Nintendo are way ahead of everyone. ( for monthly sales)
    2) The closest thing to Nintendo is an "old" generation console.
    3) PSP are having much better total sales than I was expecting.
    4) Last bot not least; GBA beat PS3!!!!!
    bleh

1) Nintendo are way ahead of everyone. ( for monthly sales)
    2) The closest thing to Nintendo is an "old" generation console.

Considering that the Wii is, itself, an "old" generation console, this isn't too surprising.

Nintendo's almost caught up to MS for consoles sold since November 2006. Still has a whole year's worth of sales to catch up.

And it'll also have to compete with MS' big guns coming out. Halo 3 will sell a couple billion units. Plus all the other games coming out soon...

Forza 2 is the best sim game evAR!!!!!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      [q]OMG MICROSOFT
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

message icon

Comment

Re: Console Wars!!!

Originally posted by cronos_qc
          US CHARTS:

CONSOLE------------------MONTH---------TOTAL
          1.Nintendo DS ----------471.000-------10.864.000
          2.Wii----------------------360.000-------2.454.000
          3.PlayStation 2 --------194.000-------38.169.000
          4.PSP----------------------183.000------7.439.000
          5.Xbox 360--------------174.000------5.401.000
          6.Game Boy Advance---84.000-----35.668.000
          7.PlayStation 3-----------82.000-----1.272.000

=====================

Nintendo are way ahead of everyone. ( for monthly sales)
          Wii sales are very impressive.

Comment

tell me again, how do the Wii sales compare to the 360 sales this many months after release?
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Probably 100K higher or so.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, I think you forgot to explain at length in that last post about how the Wii selling 100k more units is a raging success for MS.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  Asher, I think you forgot to explain at length in that last post about how the Wii selling 100k more units is a raging success for MS.
                  1. Thats units, not bucks the Wii sells for less
                  2. Software sale vs HW, attach rates, old ladies in retirement homes, etc
                  3. It aint gonna last, you just come back next month (with Halo3 he'll probably right this time)
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    tell me again, how do the Wii sales compare to the 360 sales this many months after release?
                    wii is about 965k higher than 360 at relative lifespan.

wii is about 36k under what the 360 has sold since nov 06.

Japan-wii is ahead by 2.1m

Canada-wii outsold the 360 by about 29k this month (I don't know the overalls)

360 needs a pricedrop/hardware revision. If halo3 was dropped at reg price, then 2 months later, a decent price drop, then it would be unstoppble this winter, as it is, MS seems to want to raise their price tag more than anything else.

Who will be shocked if the Wii is sold out until next year this time, really.

Comment

A price drop for the 360 won't help their bottom line very much. They're currently just about breaking even on the hardware, IIRC (and only on gross), and earn about $7 on each third-party game sold. Given the attach rates they're seeing and their own calculations of demand elasticity, they're maximising profit at this price.

The Wii, on the other hand, brings in $38-60 gross (depending on the region), and with a first-party attach rate (sell-in, admittedly) of 3.9 projected for 07-08, are ahead of where MS could ever hope to be right now.
                      Last edited by LordShiva; May 18, 2007, 19:58.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        message icon
                        QFT
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I was going to put this in its own thread, but I figured I'll just drop it in here. Sorry for the length.

I've owned a Wii for many months now, and a 360 for even longer; long enough that any initial 'hype' will have died down, allowing me to give a Fair and Balanced(TM) comparison of the two systems.

First off, Nintendo has IMO completely dropped the ball with the Wii. I know this seems to defy reality, as the Wii is selling like crazy, has enjoyed spectacular press, and remains in high demand. People want what they can't have, though, and I think eventually people will realize that the Wii is not everything it is hyped to be - although it easily could be.

When I say Nintendo dropped the ball, I mean this: The Wii has the potential to add a new layer of interaction with games, a new level of immersion. We all want "A Lightsaber Game". We saw the benefits of the Wiimote in Zelda: TP. Unfortunately, we also saw a slew of games that did a craptastic job of implementing the Wiimote. Nintendos gamble was this: Gamers would tolerate last-gen graphics in exchange for a new, revolutionary control scheme. Gamers will NOT tolerate last-gen (or worse) graphics AND last-gen, GC-style controls tacked on last minute to the Wiimote. From the outset, Nintendo should have been actively engaged with developers to ensure all Wii titles fully utilized the Wiimote, as well as the Wii hardware to ensure the best possible graphics. Nintendo has not done so, and the result is crappy title after crappy title. I'm certain responses to this will include pointing out the good titles still to be released: Metroid, Mario Galaxy, etc, as well as the fact that it is unfair to condemn the Wii for crappy launch titles. I agree, but at the same time, Nintendo should have had "quality control" in place. When your console depends almost entirely on its control scheme, you need to take steps to ensure that control scheme is functional, creatively used, and fully implemented in every game.

Now, IMO, the most unforgivable sin committed by Nintendo is their online service, or lack thereof. Let us quickly glance over to Xbox Live: HD movies and TV shows; Xbox Live Arcade; superb multiplayer support, etc. Microsoft got it right from the start (years ago), and has only been improving since. So how do you explain Nintendos online absence? Were they not paying attention for the past 5+ years? Even Sony realized that something had to be done to remain competitive. Nintendo seems determined not to embrace the online world..at least not in a way that matters. Between the 16 digit friend code (which is not even universal: some games have their own unique code), the time and effort wasted on all those f*cking retarded Channels: Everybody Votes, Weather, News, etc...it really is hard to understand just how inept Nintendo seems to be in this particular area. Oh, and remember all that talk from Nintendo about excluding DVD playback, and other features, because the Wii was first and foremost a gaming console? Why the f*ck are they then filling it with all this bloated crap?

I still think the Wii has LOADS of potential. Unfortunately, it seems that Nintendo is in no hurry to make USE of that potential. Certainly there is still time for Nintendo to fix these mistakes, to change course. OTOH, how much more time can they need?

Do I regret buying the Wii? Not really. I just don't think I'd have missed anything if I waited a year or two. In fact, I'd probably have had a much more positive experience with it, since by then hopefully we'll see vast improvements in the quality and selection of games, and maybe meaningful online connectivity. At the same time, the Wii could easily become just the latest in a series of mistakes made by Nintendo.

Comment

What did you expect? Did you really think companies would give their AAA teams to the Wii after two progressively worse generations of consoles sales wise? Of course not. No one saw the wii sports phenomenon coming. Like with the DS, its basically N alone at first with a handful of decent 3rd party games, for a while. Tons of crappy Ubisoft games and ps2 ports and movie tie in bs and the occasional entertaining game like trauma center or kororinpa (which makes fantastic use of the wiimote) and blur (which I find carving to be an amazingly fun use of the nunchuk)

Now summer is upon us and the RE4 conversion will come, Manhunt 2, Dewey (great graphics for the wii) DQSwords in Japan (last vids look like a blast), Harry Potter wii, Boogie (not sure what the release is), MercuryMeltdown (I know, I know, but should be great controlwise), and others among third party games. Nintendo will apparently set dates on some choice games early next week, we'll have to see.

That trend should just continue, now that the wii is boiling hot, especially in Japan. Better teams are going to be shifted to the Wii from the ps3 disaster. Luckily for me I dig eastern style gaming more than I do western shooters.

Online remains to be seen, but Strikers will be out soon, that should be an interesting online experience, hopefully better than what the naysayers think, but we'll see.

I sound like quite the fanboy there. If I were in college still, the lack of games rightnow (sports especially) would irritate the hell out of me. But, as I am extraordinarily busy these days (upcoming cross country move, studying for a second bar exam), I don't have much time for gaming, and the few games I have on the wii, rented, bought and vc'd are more than enough. In fact, in a large part due to the VC, I am now a console gamer again, something I didn't think would happen.

Comment

The best Wii games will be coming out late summer into fall. Just like the best 360 games will also be doing so. And, theoretically, the best PS3 games if anyone is actually still making them at this point
                              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                              X