Major Graphical Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Graphical Error

Hey, I got this game several months back and played it awhile until I uninstalled. Now I've installed it back and am having fun again but I'm getting a serious error and having to restart my comp when I play. I check other posts for the error but I dont think I've seen it. Whenever I'm playing the game, dosnt matter the map size or graphics settings, seemingly randomly after I've been palyinga a while, the entire screen jarbles into many colors (mainly purple) with a jarbled box around where my mouse pointer should be and the sound screws up then I have to restart. I have a nvidia 6800GT and 2 gigs of 2900 ram with a P4 2.66 proc. It looks like a graphics problem but my card can handle much more demanding games than this (Company of Heroes, BF2142) and before the random crash happens its running perfectly smooth. When I restart and continue playing the game it happens progressively faster. Is this my graphics card overheating? I dont overclock and have pleanty of cooling.
    I tried playing the 1.0, 1.52, and 1.61 versions, they all do the same thing, I'm at a bit of a loss of what todo.
    It didnt used to do this back when I played it a couple months ago and nothing on my comp has changed since then...
    Anyone know whats wrong?
    P.S. I cant get a screenshot because the comp is crashed.

Update your graphics card driver if you haven't already.

Also, try doing a web search for keywords "civ4 and nvidia 6800GT". Sometimes specific graphics cards have specific problems with specific games. No rhyme or reason behind it. Sometimes it is as easy as tweaking a setting.

Comment

Sounds like an overheat of your video card to me, yes. Different card manufacturers have different cooling systems on their cards, and depending on the card it's quite possible that it isn't cooled properly. Download a temperature monitor for the card to see if that's the problem.

Also as Pinchak says make sure you've got the most up to date video driver for your card. And then if you do, try rolling back to an older one
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
      X