War weariness brings me to tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War weariness brings me to tears

In my latest single player game it seams the AI is taking turns at declaring war on me.
    As soon as Alexander is done jumping all around, Napoleon has a go, then its Shaka's turn followed closely behind by Ghengis.

Whats annoying me the most is I've been in a constant state of extremely high war weariness.

Shouldn't weariness be weighted on the attacker?
    Last edited by Robert; April 26, 2007, 11:23.

Hmm, what level? I'm guessing you've made yourself a target somehow, though that is an aggressive bunch.

WW is sorta weighted to the 'attacker' in that you get more for fighting where you are not culturally dominant. (not neccessarily borders) So if you are taking some of thier cities and just keep defending those cities you just took until they are ready for peace, you'll rack up WW in a hurry.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

War Weariness IS not only weighted on the warring civ, it is based SOLELY ON the civ involved.

But WW is not quick to decay, so if there is peace with an adversary and then you're at war with them again the WW bounces back.

For many months, I kept my city population at around a 13 cap because I noticed that is a ramping point for WW -- above 13 the WW was worse.

Comment

Build jails.

If too early for jails, try getting to democracy and get free religion.

If too early for that, try getting to representation (works best if you have 5 or less citys). Police state is also a good civic for dealing with WW, but is higher up the tech chain.

Comment

Just go all out and kill the SOBs and then the WW magically disappears.

The other way to work around that is to just build a ****load of cheap units and run hed rule; running representation is a realy waste because +3 unhappiness is only the starting point of WW, and the +3 happiness nothing compared to the amount of WW you can get, as I'm sure you just found out.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If they declare war on you and you just defend your cities, there isn't any WW. Since war on your territory doesn' really create any WW, once they declare war, give them time for the SODs to come into your territory and destroy them there. That will leave less units on their territory that you have to take out, and you can minimize WW.

And yes, once they're wiped out, there is none.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

/me s at the thread title

Poor frenzyfol - I can imagine you shouting at your townspeople the next line

'so give me a break, for f***'* sake!'

Is it YOUR cities in this state, or conquered cities that are more the problem? There's always the Hereditary Rule civic, where each unit in a city creates a happy face to combat the negative WW faces for if you haven't got to Police State yet.
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

The only problem with Hereditary rule is your largest cities are usually your original core cities. If they're not near the border and relatively safe from invasion, I won't have that large of a garrison in them.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

True, but at the same time at least one of them should be producing units - replacement of dead frontliners, suicide cats/trebs, garrisons for captured cities etc. Although it would slow/stop the flow of troops to the frontlines, that city(ies) should be able to crank out a few to quell the revolting masses - and not take too long to get there, assuming the unit city is in a core of good cities.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I usually need to get those troops to the front.
                    But if I'm building mounted units, I'll move them to the front by having them end their turn in a city on the way.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He's still got a point. Surely you have old units that you could just stash in that big city.

Garrison != Hereditary Rule enforcers

If you don't have wussy units to do this with, then you paid cash to upgrade them (why?) or you sent them into combat to die (why?) or you are spending them in penny packets to garrison your cities (why are you leaving a lone warrior in that coastal city?)

Wodan

Comment

The other thing is that, depending on the era, you can still build cheap, crappy units that will upgrade at some point (like if you are pushing for domination, and dont need any more tech) while in hed rule, stuff them in a city for happinness and after the WW has calmed down, upgrade them into a nice new, powrful armey and go kill someone (else)

This works well, say, by going rifles->mech inf, longbows-> Rifles, and warriors-> maces The only thing that really varies is the amount of gold you can generate in a given amount of time, which limits the size of the army you can upgrade (the cycle continues though, as you now get more WW, so build more cheap crappy units like rifles to MI etc and you save on unit upkeep by sacrificing the units you just upgraded to kill the next guy.)
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I wonder if frenzyfol knows to rank up culture spending to combat WW, especially if theatres are available. He doesn't mention that he hasn't reached the required tech already.

Comment

I also hate it to get WW if I'm invaded and the invader doesn't even want to talk
                            Obviously do I try to fight on his territory. My people should be happy instead of weary that I'm bringing the war to the enemies territory
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Last edited by Krill; April 27, 2007, 10:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X