Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolytonian #3

World Wonder Created

The Stars themselves aligned to announce the construction of a great stone circle known as "Stonehenge", and the Apolytonian was there to learn more from an anonymous source:

Classified location:

Reporter: What can you tell us about this "Stonehenge".

Anonymous: Why, this is the most fabulous construction project in the known world. Why, we won't even need to bother building monuments in any cities, they can all just look towards the Henge here and feel it's source of power flowing out to all cities. What's more, we have been able to chart the night sky and now know just where we are in the world.

Reporter: So, this bunch of rock here acts as a monument way over that way?

Anonymous: Well, not exactly. All we know is wherever we go, monuments just spontaneously erupt up out of the ground. It's really fascinating, and has only begun happening since construction was completed.

Reporter: Uh....huh....and these monuments are good for.......?

Anonymous: Why, they spread our ideals to the surrounding countryside quicker, of course. Though, there are rumors that some warlords claim they make people happy as well, we haven't seen any of that happening.

Reporter:

Anonymous: Then there is also the matter of all the scholars that are flocking to observe the heavens here as well. We highly suspect that eventually, one day, perhaps, one of them might become great. Possibly.

Reporter:

We here at the Apolytonian wish to convey a great big to that mysterious team that completed the first wonder. You know who you are...

-UnOrthOdOx

A brief history of Buddhism

At the dawn of Sarantine civilization people went about their business with not much deep thought. They really didn't have time for it as they were busy hunting, fishing and reproducing. As the society grew and food gathering methods became more advanced, all the people were not required to work for sustenance. Some people started to think that there was more to life than just the trees, rocks, rivers and all the other things that are for the eyes to see? Maybe there was some invisible force that made everything work?

The wisest of men and women came up with the concept of mysticism. It was a belief that there was invisible spirits and creatures that were causing some of the most powerful phenomena of nature. The common people were excited. Finally there was some answer that made sense. Of course there had to be some invisible creatures causing the rain and wind and making the crops grow. Soon people figured out that maybe they could influence these spirits in some way. Thus, sacrificing maggots, bulls and other dirty and barbaric animals for these spirits became a commoplace tradition.

Then, one day, a new prince was born to the royal family of the Sarantine empire. The most remarkable thing about this young prince was that he had no belly button. The elders thought that this must be a sign from the spirits. The prince wandered into the mountains to find some peace from the hectic buzz around the royal family. During this time he experinced an enlightenment. Some say he was struck by a lighting bolt, some say he was hallucinating because of the mushrooms he ate. Nevertheless his thinking was greatly enhanced and eventually he came down from the mountains and started to teach the 'enlightenment' to the people. Little by little, the barbaric sacrificial traditions faded away.

This was the first deeper belief and philosophy in the world. It was the first religion, Buddhism. The empire didn't make it an official religion of the state and the prince now known as the Buddha didn't demand it either. He knew that people can think for themselves and if they consider his teachings as their own, they will convert. Buddha loves all people. Later, a nationwide vote was held for government support for Buddhism. The votes were cast and almost all of the people wanted Buddhism to become a state religion. Thus the age of enlightment had begun in the empire of Sarantium, and Buddhism started to spread and eventually civilize the neighbouring barbaric tribes.

-proviisori

Gathering Storm's secret military research unveiled:

Recently, Krill let it slip that GS has been secretly working on a project code named "modern armor".

This led to wide spread speculation as to just what this means.

"Obviously, they have begun coating their warriors in Giant Tortoise Shells" E_T of Team Sarantium was heard claiming.

"No, it must be armadillo coats" claimed snoopy. "Or maybe Under Armor, I can't recall exactly."

We at Mercenary Press, through exhaustive research, have come to the bottom of this mystery.

Once again, it seems Gathering Storm is leading the world in the area of War Chicken research, and have unleashed a new bread of War Chickens upon the world.

Listen to the shocking evidence, and prepare to tremble in fear...

-UnOrthOdOx

(I've had intermittent trouble with that second link, but seems it always works if you right click and open in new window.)

Team Banana storms Hall of Justice in protest

Previously it had been reported that Team Banana had been brought under investigation over alleged payments to terrorist organizations.

The Apolytonian has learned that in the wake of the ongoing investigation, Team Banana has stormed the Hall of Justice in protest over the proceedings, whilst coming up with new ways to increase their economy.

Team Mercenary, meanwhile, continues to refuse to comment over the entire Chaquita situation.

-UnOrthOdOx

Team Mercenary Growth

Team Mercenary reports a sudden population boon in Alpha Base.

The UnOrthOdOx family is pleased to announce the birth of Talia:

After having a week away from all official business, UnOrthOdOx returns as a primary contact for all things Mercenary related.

-UnOrthOdOx

Meet the Demogamers: UnOrthOdOx

First in what I hope to make a regular feature. And, I may as well go first.

IRL I go by the name Cole Gilbert, Age 30 (soon to be 31). From South Ogden, Utah.

Married my highschool sweatheart at the age of 19, and we now have 3 kids.

Worked for Fram to pay the bills so we could get married and still have my wife in school since she had a clear career plan, and I really didn't. Great opportunity to learn a lot of maintanence, machining, and etc. All OJT stuff and paid for classes which got me my current Job with Boeing.

We didn't have a PC for a number of years, but Civ II was pretty much THE reason I HAD to buy one. I still recall being amazed when my friend showed me that game, and I went out an bought it on the spot nearly a full year before actually purchasing a computer to play it on.

My first introduction to online gaming came with Myth II. My original handle was SirUlias at that time (and still my email), and I ended up playing mostly with folks from Australia/NZ due to my bizaar schedule. (Something that continues today...)

Then came Diablo II. I was a very hardcore player, making it onto the hardcore ladders the first couple seasons. This also became my introduction to the whole 'forum' concept, and I even became a news editor and moderator at DiabloII.net. I became known there for posting bizaar and off beat builds, and folks began calling me Un0rth0d0x. When the boards crashed and we all had to re-sign-up. I decided to keep it, but didn't understand the l33t crap with the 0's, and mistakenly, used capitol O's instead. It's stuck ever since.

In my enthusiasm to play DiabloII, it was some time before I bought Civ III. I started reading about these 'democracy game' things and decided that would be the best way for me to learn the game. CFC's was in full swing, but Poly here was just starting one, so I joined over here.

I decided to start up a paper for that demogame, The Jungle Gazette. And have pretty much made some attempt at "news" type items in every demogame I'm involved in since as a bit of a hobby. To varying degrees of success depending on the time I am able to dedicate to them.

Halloween, however, is hobby #1. And, it should be noted, it has been demoted to 'hobby' over the years. There was a time I ran a professional haunt, and even consulted on some rather big ones around Utah. But, some zoning changes ended up in an inability for me to continue that in the Ogden area (in fact there are NO haunts in the Ogden area anymore), so after selling off all my stuff, I went into a hiatus on that for a few years. 3 years ago, we bought a new house, and I have proceeded to scare the hell out of the neighborhood kids ever since, and continue to slowly rebuild my collection of props. And I do mean "rebuild" quite literally, as I construct my own. One of these years I may just start up a 'professional' haunt again for charity, assuming the local laws will once again allow for such.

Well, that's pretty much me in a nutshell.

(edit history, typos killed: 15)
    Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; April 9, 2007, 16:24.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Let your every day be full of joy, love the child that holds your hand, let your wife delight in your embrace, for these alone are the concerns of humanity.
    The BtS Pitboss Team Democracy Game has just started!!!
    Come and test your metal in the Apolyton Civ4 Beyond the Sword Tri-League Tournament
    Tohunga o kairākau of Southern Cross in the Warlords Pitboss Team Democracy Game, and Member of the Great Council and Curator of The Khan's Compendium for The Horde in the Civ4 Team Democracy Game

Comment

Again, another great Paper by UnO!!!

Come and see me at WePlayCiv
      Worship the Comic here!
      Term IV DFM for Trade, Term V CP & Term VI DM, Term VII SMC of Apolytonia - SPDGI, Minister of the Interior of the PTW InterSite Demo Game

Comment

The best Apolytonian so far!
        Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Excellent stuff!
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

very nice
            no sig

Comment

Indeed, as always!

Comment

Excellent paper. I again deny any wrong doing related to the Chiquita Banana Terror Connection.
                Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Sweet and clever ... but a bit unorthodox.
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Excellent job UnO, you forget to mention Guild Wars in your UnO write up
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Working...
                    X