No announcement yet.

US & South Korean free trade agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US & South Korean free trade agreement?

It looks like this is a done deal as long as Congress doesn't screw it up.

US and S Korea agree trade deal
    Protestors in Seoul
    The free trade talks have generated protests on the streets of Seoul.
    The US and South Korea have reached a free trade agreement, after 10 months of intensive talks.

The deal, which has not yet been formally announced, still requires legislative approval.

Both countries were keen to agree a deal, believing it will boost trade and economic growth.

It is the biggest trade deal since the US signed the 1992 North American Free Trade Agreement, opening up the highly protected South Korean market.

But the negotiations have been hampered by differences over various trading sectors, especially those of vehicles and agriculture.

Heated argument

Steve Norton, a spokesman for the Office of the US Trade Representative, confirmed on Monday morning that an agreement had been reached.

A South Korean presidential official also said a deal had been concluded, although no official announcement has yet been given.

The negotiations were long and protracted, and had already missed two US-imposed deadlines.

They also raised heated passions on both sides.

Trade between the two countries reached $72bn (£37bn) in 2005, and those in favour of the agreement insist it will help economic growth.

But hundreds of South Koreans have protested against the deal, arguing that it would threaten their livelihoods.

One protester set fire to himself close to the Seoul hotel where the talks have been taking place.

There was pressure to close a deal, because President George W Bush's Trade Promotion Authority, a so called "fast track" power, ends on 1 July, and any agreement had to be reached 90 days beforehand - by the end of Sunday, US time.

The special power enables Mr Bush to send trade pacts to Congress, for a straight yes or no vote, but amendments are not allowed.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Yay, hopefully cheaper beef for me!
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

One protester set fire to himself close to the Seoul hotel where the talks have been taking place.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Koreans?

Good deal, though.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The Koreans should be cheering for this, if they want to continue to stand a chance against China in world trade.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There are a few South Korean exchange students at my school this year. I :heart: them.

Comment

Korean girls are generally pretty hot.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The ones at my school are very pretty.

Comment

Working...
              X