road rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road rage

I have two cities with borders 2 tiles apart. I can build roads to the edge of the borders but that's it. I can't connect the cities with a road without building another city in the narrow neutral corridor between the two. I tried building a fort there to see if that would do the trick but it just wasted 1000 production. Arghhh! Do you absolutely have to build another city to solve this or am I missing something?

One possibility: Are you certain the Fortress is finished yet? It takes several turns, and the borders aren't adjusted until it's done.

Comment

Ahhh yes! Thanks. Didn't realize it took several turns to complete fort. I had a unit on the fort which obstructed the "under construction" look.

So now I'm wondering, all else being equal, is it better to solve a situation like this with a settler (740 + loss of 1 pop.) or a fort (1000)? Sure are expensive ways to get 120 worth of road across. And there's also the issue of a city being built right away and having to wait a few turns for the fort.
      [This message has been edited by ak (edited November 24, 2000).]
      [This message has been edited by ak (edited November 24, 2000).]

Comment

My own strategy thus far in resolving road rage -- and I sympathise with the syndrome -- has been to build fortresses rather than new cities (I've tried both). With two nearby cities, unless there's some *very* potentially productive land in between, I tend to feel that a "bridge city" would either be at a disadvantage or would "pirate" from the established cities; and the cost for bringing a settlement up to snuff is fairly hefty in the long term, so the return on the investment is a serious consideration. I also like to place cities based on long-term development and/or strategic plans, rather than simple game mechanics. And, finally, from the standpoint of game mechanics, I find it quicker and simpler to call up emergency troops from fortresses than from cities. This is just my style of playing, of course.

Comment

Both work, but the real question is which takes you longer? Creating a settler or creating the Public Works for the Fortification? You can tweak your production and Public Works to increase either one of these.

Smooshies

Comment

Somebody in another thread suggested settling a new city to extend your border, build your road, then disband the city in the same turn. If ya got a spare settler just hanging around, that is.

Comment

Do you keep your border extension if you disband your city? If so then this ability might go-away in a patch.

I think you should be able to build a road if within the vision of a unit when outside of your borders. I'd suggest this to Activision.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain_Dave on 11-29-2000 04:30 PM
              Somebody in another thread suggested settling a new city to extend your border, build your road, then disband the city in the same turn. If ya got a spare settler just hanging around, that is.

Comment

Working...
              X