No announcement yet.

So how's the game with Dual core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are still looking for your original question. I got a new laptop 1-2 months ago. Dual Core, top end speed, graphics, ram etc. I had an older laptop. Not as old as your old one, but I understand your pain on huge maps. There is still some slowdown when the AIs are doing their turns and a little bit of jerkiness, but it is immensly better than before.

Comment

I recently bought myself a new pc with a dual core processor and 2gig ram. When I played my first game of civ I couldn't believe how fast it ran! Am currently playing a game on a huge map and it's running noticeably faster than my old pc did on a standard map even in late game. As my old pc had 1.5gig ram i think the processor must be contributing a reasonable amount of the difference (though I'm sure the move from a 128 to a 256 graphics card helps!).

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        RAM is the main bottleneck. I've never seen someone with a halfway decent system and 2GB RAM complain about slowdowns, and I've seen plenty of amazing systems with 1GB RAM complain. So buy 2 GB
        Yeah, I'm starting to see more and more agreement on this. Will DEFINITELY get the 2GB. Current frontrunner (if I can get one with an English keyboard and OS in Switzerland ) is the Asus G1 or AJ. A Vaio VGN-FE sounds pretty good otherwise.

It seems strange, that I'm buying a new computer and, for the first time I think EVER, I need to be careful to make sure it will run the latest iteration of civ well enough. It's always been writ that a new computer will do civ with no issues at all, and it's only the FPS I have to think about.
        Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Me to, I´m bought a new computer based mostly on civ-performance. Other applications work pretty well on any moder computer.

Intels core 2 duo´s have an other advantage with low (65-75W) power and less heat to fan out.
          Any one else annoyed over that the computer sounds like a vacuum cleaner in late game?

Change from an old CRT to a sleek LCD-screen makes a huge differense for late night plays. The same video card, resolution and screen size as before but much less mistakes, overseens and eye fatigue.

Comment

I bought a Asus G1 myself and Civ IV runs like a charm on it. Really a change from my older PC with 4 times less RAM and 8 times less video RAM.
            I like Asus computers a lot. They are sturdy, with very good graphic cards and generally reliable.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Can an overclocked core2duo improve civing any further?

To change the FSB speed seems little too risky, but increase the multiplier a step or two will just rise the core temperature slightly.

The question is, will it speed up civ-playing with huge maps?
              Are turnwaiting and loadingtimes reduced noticible?

If not, can underclocking reduce temperature and fan noise in the room at hot summer nights without reduce the performance significantly?

Marc Prieur show how to hot-rod a relativly cheap low end core2duo at http://www.behardware.com/art/imprimer/652/

Comment

Well, overclocking will increase the speed of your cores, and even though Civ4 only actively uses one, that is of some benefit.

But I'd say if you think turns or loading are too slow with a Core2Duo, you're just being very impatient .
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I belive I´m not particulary impatient.

A certain configurated game takes me six hours to finish.
                  I´m addicted to this configs now, and have no intentions to change back.
                  Someway to speed up the computer 8% will give me half an hour more sleep.

Half an hour more sleep will do me a lot´s of good.
                  Or half an our more work will benefit my economy.
                  Or half an hour more to see each other... (just joking).

Some people say that I should stop playing at certain time.
                  Some people with trace of understanding say that I should at least downgrade configs. But there are other threads for such discussions.

Am I impatient? Maybe.
                  Am I self-disciplined? Certainly not.

Comment

Out of those six hours, though, how much is waiting for the AI? Not too much in all likelihood. I know that I don't even notice waiting times until the second half of the Industrial age myself.

Comment

That´s right Solver.

I used this argument to justify a purchase of a new, expensive computer.
                      The calculations is more accurate to my old box.

Comment

Ah. Out of curiosity, what was the old box like?

Comment

A five-years old p4, 1,6 GHz I belive.
                          It was unplayable for civ4 until memory and graphic upgrade about a year ago.
                          The new computer have only a few power demanding applications installed, everything else is on the old box.

Comment

Well, I'll add my two cents worth again.

At home, I have a 3.0 GHz Pentium 4 (hyperthreaded) with 1 GB of RAM. Last night, in the later stages of the game, it was definitely starting to feel sluggish.

At work, I have a dual-2.4 GHz Xeon (also hyperthreaded) with 1.5 GB of RAM running a nearly identical setup of Windows XP. Tonight, at work, I loaded the game of Civ4 that I had been playing at home, and I can tell you that it was definitely less sluggish.

As Civ4 was not using nearly enough memory to max. out the 1.0 GB at home, I can only say that the extra CPU made the difference. Even though the clock speed of the work computer was less, just by having two physical CPUs, one for Windows and one for Civ4, made the difference.

This is a good thing, too, because I can't afford to upgrade either computer right now.
                            The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

You can play CIV at work!? You lucky beggar!! I'm guessing you're self-employed or work night shift.

Unfortunately I can't install my own programs at work and work in an open plan office. Also, I reckon my job wouldn't get done if I could play CIV there...

Comment

For those with a fast processor and 2 gigs or more of RAM that are looking for even better performance, check your hard drive. Many systems out there come with hard drives that run at 5400 RPM(4200RPM on many laptops). If you go for a faster hard drive, it can do amazing things to improve your boot times as well as overall system performance when swap is being used.

I always look for a 7200RPM drive when I buy or build a computer for myself for this very reason. I've been waiting for the 10,000 and 15,000RPM speeds you see in high-end SCSI drives to make their way into SATA.

Comment

Working...
                                X