Former Arizona governor admits seeing UFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Arizona governor admits seeing UFO

Former Arizona Governor Fife Symington has confirmed that he saw a UFO 10 years ago while governor. The UFO was in the form of an extremely large slow-flying triangle. There have been other very similar reports.

Symington, governor at the time, poo-poo'd the many reports from the public about the flying triangle. He now says that he did it because he didn't want mass hysteria to break out among the populace.

He explains that Arizona was "on the brink of hysteria" about the UFO sighting at the time, and the frenzy was building.

"I wanted people to lighten up and calm down, so I introduced a little levity. But I never felt that the overall situation was a matter of ridicule," he says.
    My question is: Assuming Symington did see the object, did he do the right thing by lying to the public?

Here's a link to the article that broke the story from the Prescott Daily Courier...

And a CNN report, which shows Symington's briefing to the press at the time...

And a CNN report from 1997 detailing the incident...

And a space.com article speculating about what the triangle might be...

A research group has catalogued the Triangle sightings, sifting through and combining databases to take a hard look at the mystery craft. The results of their study have just been released and lead to some unnerving, still puzzling conclusions.

My opinion is that this is a US Air Force black heavier-than-air airship project and that this incident was part of a larger exercise done that evening. Indeed, flairs were dropped, but also the airship was flying.
    Yes, there's no use having chaos on your hands
    12.50%
    No, public officials should be truthful in all matters
    62.50%
    Flying bananas!
    25.00%
    Last edited by DanS; March 26, 2007, 03:20.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I'd guess he saw the Aurora project, the US military's Next Big Thing just like the F-117 was for 20 some-odd years before it's public debut.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Wasn't the Aurora Project supposed to by hypersonic? This is something entirely the opposite. Huge and really slow.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

From what I've heard over the years about this thing, it's supposed to be fairly nimble at slow speeds (VTOL perhaps?) while also being capable of uber-speediness.

Comment

But you wouldn't build something so huge to go super-sonic, would you? This thing supposedly puts any known aircraft to utter shame with regard to size.

Comment

I'm drawing a blank on whether or not I've ever heard about it's supposed size. Maybe the Aurora project encompasses 2 or more aircraft that represent different mission requirements: A fighter with excellent maneuverability and a larger bomber (larger to carry more payload and/or fuel) of similar airframe configuration, both capable of hypersonic flight.

Comment

Why does America need a huge, slow heavier-than-air blimp?
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

To provide a cover story for a crashed alien ufo, 2007-style.

Comment

Perhaps for heavy lift for rapid deployment...

Comment

The only use I can think of at the moment is as a mobile listening post used to spy on the communications of Americans...

Even that doesn't really make much sense, though.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Actually, except for theaters involving military powers that possess fighter craft or good surface-to-air missiles, modern blimps can make for excellent theater intel platforms without risking the lives of personnel. Inflate one, send it way the Hell up in the atmosphere, and it can monitor a very wide area in relative safety. Some cities in the US are experimenting with smaller blimps to help police departments.

Edit: My posting was a little slow. Ce la vie.

Comment

Dan's answer makes sense...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

My answer has non-Wikipedia citations:
                          Entries for category: Blimps LTA Craft (contract awards, acquisition and program management issues)

Of course, both of our answers are valid. His answer occurred to me as I remembered a TV show I watch years ago that talked about the future of blimps in modern aviation.

Comment

Here's a good wikipedia article on the black triangles.

Comment

Well anyway, until I see one with my own eyes, it's all hearsay as far as I'm concerned. I find it plausible that it's a US military aircraft and very unlikely to be flown/operated by aliens. Could alien tech be involved? I'd guess no, but I won't rule out the possibility either.

Comment

Working...
                              X