Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox 360 Elite ("Zephyr") coming, price cuts also ($229 core)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 Elite ("Zephyr") coming, price cuts also ($229 core)

You heard it here first. Coming in April.

Core: $229 (according to GameStop memos)
    Premium: $299 (according to GameStop memos)
    Elite: $479

This coincides well with a string of AAA titles set for release:

May - Forza 2
    June - Bioshock
    July - Mass Effect / Too Human
    Aug - Blue Dragon
    Sep - Halo 3
    Oct - GTA 4
    Nov/Dec - Assasin's Creed / Banjo / PGR4 / Lost Odyssey

The 360 Elite / Zephyr is all-black and comes with a 120GB HDD and an HDMI port and the new 65nm chips (smaller/cooler/quieter):

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

wifi?

Those are killer prices on the old models

Comment

Does the Zephyr include an HD-DVD drive?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

HD-DVD?

xpost

Comment

I'm not upset I already got a Premium, but that big harddrive looks good.
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

looks like no built in HD-DVD and no built in wifi.

I can see the HD-DVD, that would push the price to ps3 levels,but no built in wifi is inexcusable imho.

Comment

At first glance, I think white suits it better than black. Although it would seem that what we see on the photo is actually the original 360 dev kit. Anyway, here's some extra info from Engadget:

We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

* The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
              * The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
              * Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
              * Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
              * We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
              * Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
              * Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
              * The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
              * There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).
              Find the latest technology news and expert tech product reviews. Learn about the latest gadgets and consumer tech products for entertainment, gaming, lifestyle and more.
              Last edited by Nostromo; March 20, 2007, 20:13.
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

At first glance, I think white suits it better than black.

Agreed. White looks a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                  looks like no built in HD-DVD and no built in wifi.

I can see the HD-DVD, that would push the price to ps3 levels,but no built in wifi is inexcusable imho.
                  Its more expensive because it will be produced in limited quantities. Its extra features will eventually trickle down to the other models.
                  Last edited by Nostromo; March 20, 2007, 20:33.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    At first glance, I think white suits it better than black.

Agreed. White looks a lot better.
                    Supposedly the blacks are a limited edition, after they're sold through it'll be white again.

As for HD DVD drive, MS has said it'll never be integrated into the console as the market hasn't established itself. The HD DVD drive will be available in black to accompany the Zephyr, though.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                      Would be a nice feature, but I don't consider it inexcusable. I think it'll get integrated when Wireless-N is standardized -- B and G are just too slow for the kind of usage MS has planned for the 360.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                        I'm not upset I already got a Premium, but that big harddrive looks good.
                        The big harddrive will undoubtedly become available as an upgrade, and likely come with a dongle to transfer your data from the old to the new.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Supposedly the blacks are a limited edition, after they're sold through it'll be white again.
                          Why buy a limited edition that looks a lot worse than the normal version?

Comment

When the Elite HW turns into the Premiums, will it still be as expensive or will it be priced at the new Premium price?

Comment

Who knows?

Comment

Working...
                              X