"I'm going to take that with a large grain of salt."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm going to take that with a large grain of salt."

But how large can it be before it stops being a grain?

Discuss.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

The size of Texas.

Comment

A grain is 64.79891 milligrams.

Anything else is as silly as saying "I will have the larger half".
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Goddammit! I have the smaller half! Dauphin, you owe me!

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
          Anything else is as silly as saying "I will have the larger half".
          I dunno - some halfs get poured with smaller heads than others.

Comment

it's a stupid expression.

no one uses large grain. They just say grain.

Comment

The saying even without the "great" doesnt make a lot of sense, I understand when to use it, but why a grain of salt?
              I need a foot massage

Comment

The story I've always heard is that it came from Rome, when they paid soldiers in salt. Wiki disagrees.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  The saying even without the "great" doesnt make a lot of sense, I understand when to use it, but why a grain of salt?
                  That certainly is a most intriguing and though-provoking question, Brachy, and I can only hypothesise as to its answer. Unfortunately, such musings are entirely beyond the immediate scope of this thread, so I must ask that you start a new thread to further explore its ramifications, and to cease your attempts to threadjack this one.
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva

That certainly is a most intriguing and though-provoking question, Brachy, and I can only hypothesise as to its answer. Unfortunately, such musings are entirely beyond the immediate scope of this thread, so I must ask that you start a new thread to further explore its ramifications, and to cease your attempts to threadjack this one.
                    are you saying that it could be some part of the hindu civilization - maybe we should await aneeshm to clarify this question.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                    X